Welcome, Guest
News and Announcements

TOPIC: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48-52

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48-52 4 years 11 months ago #26829

• MrDowntown
  • Junior Boarder
There is a script called:
Remove leading numbers

However I am having trouble finding it on the script page, but thats where i downloaded it originally. First you must go to automation and "commit proposed values" then run "remove leading numbers" and Voila!
The topic has been locked.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48-52 4 years 11 months ago #26833

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 503
@elstie:

Unfortunately, the regex system in ComicVineScraper only works properly for groups of comics with a single naming convention--unlike the default searching algorithm, which is much more robust and works for a large variety comic book names. In other words, the regex advanced feature only really helps when all (or many) of your comics are named in exactly the same format.
or do I need a separate regex for each type of naming convention?
It's certainly possible to create a regex for each naming convention (I can help with that if you provide the names) but you're still left with the problem of finding and scraping those comics in separate groups.

The fastest and easiest solution is, as others here have suggested, to get rid of those leading numbers and just use the scraper's default searching algorithm. You can do this with the "Remove Leading Numbers" script, or there are a number of batch renaming tools out there that can help.

Another possibility, if you're batch renaming anyway, is to rename the files with brackets. () or [] or {} will work, e.g.: [005] The Uncanny X-men #094.cbr

The scraper will generally ignore values inside brackets, so that should fix things too.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48-52 4 years 11 months ago #26836

• elstie
  • Fresh Boarder
cbanack wrote:

The fastest and easiest solution is, as others here have suggested, to get rid of those leading numbers and just use the scraper's default searching algorithm. You can do this with the "Remove Leading Numbers" script, or there are a number of batch renaming tools out there that can help.

Another possibility, if you're batch renaming anyway, is to rename the files with brackets. () or [] or {} will work, e.g.: [005] The Uncanny X-men #094.cbr

The scraper will generally ignore values inside brackets, so that should fix things too.

Awesome, thanks for your help. This is likely what I'll be doing. (@mrdowntown: thanks for the suggestion as well)

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48-52 4 years 11 months ago #26894

• schroder08
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
First off, thanks for such a great tool and following through with routine maintenance on it.

Next, I was hoping to request a feature. This probably won't be explained as cleanly as I am seeing it, so please bear with me. Would some sort of alias system be possible? Specifically, I prefer my comic Volumes to match the indica rather than the year. If I could set it so that when, for example, a new issue of Superman gets scraped, when it sees (www.comicvine.com/superman/49-42986/) it sets the Volume to 3 rather than 2011. I would be fine with having manual entry at that point, even having a text file that I edit rather than something in-app. It would also allow someone who likes tweaking comic titles for their own consistency rather than how CV lists them to have that taken care of. Just an idea, thanks for listening and again thanks for the wonderful work you do here!

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48-52 4 years 11 months ago #26895

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi schroder08, glad you're enjoying Comic Vine Scraper.

There was a lot of effort expended in the past with trying to make an option to scrape "Volume" as a year OR as a simple number, but we eventually abandoned the idea because Comic Vine just doesn't have access to both bits of data in a consistent way--in the end, Comic Vine use years, so the scraper uses years.

As far as giving the scraper the option to change (or 'alias') that data as it is scraped, that's probably a little bit out of the scope of what I want the scraper to do. It might not be a bad idea for a separate script, though.

So there are a couple of alternatives I can think of for you:

1) Set the volume labels by hand. Comic Rack has a lot of excellent batch editing features--you can select all the comics for single a volume, and then set the volume number for them all at once. If you wait for a volume to be complete (or just only do this once in a while) then it's not much more work than it would be to configure the scraper for every series you're collecting. Just turn "volume" off in the scraped data settings so that your new volume data doesn't get wiped out when you rescrape!

2) Just give year-based volume numbers a chance. :) Comic Vine decided to use them for a reason (they contain more information), and a lot of people in the forums here who were initially opposed to year-based volumes eventually changed their minds...myself included.

3) Go to the script section of this forum website and ask around, there might be someone who's willing to write (or help you write) a separate little script to do what you want. It wouldn't be too hard to write something like that, as long as you (the user) provide it with a list of volume years and series IDs for each series that it needs to convert.
The following user(s) said Thank You: schroder08

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48-52 4 years 11 months ago #26897

• schroder08
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
I most likely will go with the year based volume, this was a last ditch effort to stick with the simple numbers. Thanks for the quick response coupled with the alternative ideas, it is appreciated. I was manually doing the volumes but was looking for an easier way. Have a great day. :-)

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48-52 4 years 11 months ago #26898

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
@schroder08 - actually, it is better to stick with the volume being the series released year rather than a number because most publishers don't do volumes any more, including Marvel, which was the last large publisher to use them. DC stopped using volume numbers back in the 80s. Now only a hand full of smaller publishers use volume numbers in the indica, and even those publishers aren't consistent across all series. So go with the ComicVine Scraper year default and then just manually change it for the books that actually have the volume number listed in the indica. That's what I do. :)

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48-52 4 years 11 months ago #26899

• Fuzzyluzzi
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 44
Is there as way for it to distinguish two series that have the same title and year?

Arrow
Arrow Prequel

Been having fun with my Duplicate checker thinking these are the same comic.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48-52 4 years 11 months ago #26900

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
Fuzzyluzzi wrote:
Is there as way for it to distinguish two series that have the same title and year?

Arrow
Arrow Prequel

Been having fun with my Duplicate checker thinking these are the same comic.

I'd say those two series are poorly organized on ComicVine...either the second series should have a different name (i.e. "Arrow Prequel") or else the two should be merged into a single series with the prequel issue as volume 0. I guess it depends on what the indicia of the comics themselves say, and what Comic Vine's policies are for odd cases like this.

Otherwise, there's no easy way to tell them apart!

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48-52 4 years 11 months ago #26904

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 108
There is another more blatant case of two series, same name, same year - x-men first year. Both volumes came out on the same year and scrape as the same series. Was a pain in the ass to fix them all.

I have requested a change to the duplicate detection to allow more than series name and volume, like adding month, to overcome this. They would -always- show up as duplicates even when properly scraped.

fK
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds

Who's Online

We have 197 guests and 8 members online