Welcome, Guest
News and Announcements

TOPIC: ComicRack 0.9.164-165 released

Re: ComicRack 0.9.164-165 released 4 years 7 months ago #31714

• nogarth
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
cheers for that i'll have a look at it at some point as i have a few things going on with other projects going on at the minute.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: ComicRack 0.9.164-165 released 4 years 7 months ago #31743

• bodhikun
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for the beautiful update.

After fiddling around for a couple hours, I finally got it working!

However, not sure what to do with it at the moment... Of course, there's still a lot to learn for me about MySQL... :P

Re: ComicRack 0.9.164-165 released 4 years 7 months ago #31797

• nogarth
  • Junior Boarder
@cYo ive done the update and uploaded the database to Mysql. I had a view of the data in the database table and wonder why the XML child tags aint in there own separate data field instead of just dumping the XML field into the column and having the ID separate as well.

I know this is new and being trailed just think it would be more sense to have each type of data item in there own column as it would shrink the database size done a bit as less info that's needed would be in there.

Re: ComicRack 0.9.164-165 released 4 years 7 months ago #31798

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 109
Hopefully the database will be normalized and the queries can become more efficient by actually relying on that rather than just serving as an alternate save point for the data, but on the plus side, it did fix the problem of comicrack taking forever to exit (when it was saving the database), which on some configurations would cause windows to force close it during shutdown and cause data loss.

fK

Re: ComicRack 0.9.164-165 released 4 years 7 months ago #31799

• nogarth
  • Junior Boarder
forkicks wrote:
it did fix the problem of comicrack taking forever to exit (when it was saving the database), which on some configurations would cause windows to force close it during shutdown and cause data loss.

fK

yer i had that alot after i did a data scraper from comicvine of 200gb of comics you give ti a chance to update exit, dies, come back and find that only 1/2 have updated.

i think with opening it up to a MYSQL database would open up alot of more new addons/scripts to access this data and use it more effectively.

Re: ComicRack 0.9.164-165 released 4 years 7 months ago #31804

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
It makes no sense for ComicRack to split comics up into a "proper" table based schema.
I treat the SQL server as an object database.

Just a few points:
* ComicRack has it's own sophisticated query language that is not simply translatable into SQL queries. So breaking objects up in tables/columns gives me nothing.
* ComicRack uses an in memory approach which gives you all the nice features like live counters and live updates
* Comics are like they should in an object database: "atomic" and always consistent

To say the only advantage is "shutdown does not take so long any more" is a little bit short sighted.

A lists of advantages:
* Data is immediately stored and updated into the store
* Data Integrity is guaranteed
* Databases are shareable between multiple users/machines with live updates. Try the following: Connect to the same database from 2 computers and change/scrape/add comics on one machine and look what happens on the other machine without you hitting refresh, reload or whatever you usually do.
* Shutdowns are faster
The following user(s) said Thank You: forkicks, nogarth

Re: ComicRack 0.9.164-165 released 4 years 7 months ago #31808

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 109
cYo wrote:
It makes no sense for ComicRack to split comics up into a "proper" table based schema.
I treat the SQL server as an object database.

Just a few points:
* ComicRack has it's own sophisticated query language that is not simply translatable into SQL queries. So breaking objects up in tables/columns gives me nothing.
But it would make it more accessible for other programs/scripts. Of course this is not a goal in itself, but rather a nice side effect.cYo wrote:
* Comics are like they should in an object database: "atomic" and always consistent
You get the same atomic state updates by transaction on sql, simply update the whole comic at once on one statement, and the database will ensure its still consistent.
cYo wrote:
To say the only advantage is "shutdown does not take so long any more" is a little bit short sighted.
Of course. But it was the more visible effect to me because i don't use the live counters and when shutting down my server comicrack was always shown as an application holding back the shutdown, and that is no longer the case.

fK

Re: ComicRack 0.9.164-165 released 4 years 7 months ago #31853

• Dancer
  • Senior Boarder
I havemt tried using mysql database because I see little reason to do so.

That said I was wondering if you could sync the mysql with the androiid app. And or sync it.

Might just be more hassle than it's worth

Re: ComicRack 0.9.164-165 released 4 years 7 months ago #31862

• Casublett
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
Been pretty busy the last fews days and I see a a few new releases for CR and 2 of my fav scripts!

LOVE that custom user values were added, but I'm sad to say, I can't find how to access/add/edit them... I know, I'm a tard as everyone else seems to have, but where do I access/add them?

Re: ComicRack 0.9.164-165 released 4 years 7 months ago #31863

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Casublett wrote:
Been pretty busy the last fews days and I see a a few new releases for CR and 2 of my fav scripts!

LOVE that custom user values were added, but I'm sad to say, I can't find how to access/add/edit them... I know, I'm a tard as everyone else seems to have, but where do I access/add them?
Here:

Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Casublett
Time to create page: 0.359 seconds

Who's Online

We have 296 guests and 3 members online