Welcome, Guest
News and Announcements

TOPIC: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-64

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-63 6 years 5 months ago #32130

• Mammut
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
Thanks for the bug report.
The other newly entered issues are working fine, so I guess it's a separate problem.

I'm usually put the id in the Notes field, but it's good to know that we can use it in the search field, too. :)
The topic has been locked.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-63 6 years 5 months ago #32133

• Kirtai
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I've noticed there can be a few minutes delay between a change on the website and it appearing in the API, but it was only a few minutes in those cases.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-63 6 years 5 months ago #32198

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 580
There haven't been any new bugs found in Comic Vine Scraper for about a week now, and it looks like the database connectivity issues at ComicVine have quieted down, so I now consider Comic Vine Scraper version 1.0.63 to be "stable".

In other words, anyone who was waiting for the stable release of Comic Vine Scraper can go ahead and use version 1.0.63 now. For those of you who've been living on the edge with the unstable releases, you're probably already using 1.0.63, so no need to download it again.

Happy Scraping! :)
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by cbanack.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-63 6 years 5 months ago #32216

• Brennok
  • Senior Boarder
I wanted to throw a possible feature request out there. Would it be possible to add a step between checking every book and assuming similar books are from the same series?

Essentially I like to confirm the issue number on every book I scrape since sometimes it grabs the wrong one due to a naming issue. If I let the scraper assume it is from the same series, it grabs the correct series but wrong issue # sometimes. If I don't then I have to confirm the series also especially when the name doesn't exactly match. Would it be possible to add an option to assume the series is the same, but to still require I confirm the issue number?

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-63 6 years 5 months ago #32217

• Kirtai
  • Senior Boarder
That would have been really handy for some comics I was adding with filenames layed out like:
"Series Number ArcName ArcNumber.extension"
where the search defaulted to "Series ArcName" and the issue number to ArcNumber.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-63 6 years 5 months ago #32218

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
Brennok wrote:
Essentially I like to confirm the issue number on every book I scrape since sometimes it grabs the wrong one due to a naming issue.

and
Kirtai wrote:
That would have been really handy for some comics I was adding with filenames layed out like: "Series Number ArcName ArcNumber.extension" where the search defaulted to "Series ArcName" and the issue number to ArcNumber.

Hmmm...this might not work as well as you think, since in most cases if the scraper didn't "find" the issue number correctly, then it has interpreted the issue numbers as part of the series name instead. This means each comic has a "different" series name, so the scraper will consider every comic to be part of a different series.

Still, an option to "always confirm issue number" might be helpful in some circumstances. I will give it some thought the next time I am working on new features for the scraper.

By the way, if you guys ever find that you have a bunch of comics that are all named the same way, but the scraper is not parsing that name properly (i.e. it guesses the wrong series name or issue number), feel free to let me know about it. I can often provide a really easy and immediate fix via the ALT_SEARCH_REGEX advanced feature. Also, I sometimes try to improve the scraper so that it recognizes new cbz file naming formats, if I can.
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by cbanack.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-63 6 years 5 months ago #32242

• Brennok
  • Senior Boarder
In my case it is usually a matter of having duplicates which I am in the process of cleaning up. Since I am finally centralizing my collection after having it spread over multiple PCs. As a result it will be series name.issue#.1. Because of the 1 it grabs the series correctly, but flags it as issue #1.

It seems to catch them as the same series, because if I leave the option checked they will all be scraped as the correct series without intervention, but have the wrong issue #. Rescraping and manually selecting the specific issue fixes it.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-63 6 years 4 months ago #32388

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 206
GREAT WORK as always buddy! I haven't used my CRW in a month or so after getting overly frustrated with how it was performing for me. So, I finally decided to get back to updating my collection and when I went to use your wonderful plugin, I found many fields weren't updating and some series weren't showing up in the search results that use to show up (I'm still on version 1.0.51, lol). Thus, I figured I'd check your posts here to see what the deal was, and low and behold, major changes have come about. That's what I get for taking a break from my leisurely fun and rejoining the social world outside for awhile, lol.

Not only is your new version an obvious upgrade must, but it looks like things should be much faster when scraping with the changes made to the API and thus your plugin. So, I'll be upgrading today and thanks again for ALL OF YOUR AWESOME WORK here! It's loved much more than you'll ever know!

lol, now if cYo could just completely revamp CRW to work off a relational database instead of XML, then that would be perfect for me and my big @$$ library. 1.0.63, ready or not, here I come!!!! :)

More karma coming you way!
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by oraclexview.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-63 6 years 4 months ago #32389

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
oraclexview wrote:
GREAT WORK as always buddy!
As a software developer, I wish all my projects had the kind of enthusiastic users that Comic Vine Scraper does. Thanks! :blush:

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-63 6 years 4 months ago #32390

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 206
cbanack wrote:
As a software developer, I wish all my projects had the kind of enthusiastic users that Comic Vine Scraper does. Thanks! :blush:
I have some more "blush" comments for you! lol

Well well well, what can I say? I'm really really loving this latest release (1.0.63). 3 things of note that mos def make this the best release of all:
  1. I have the community ratings feature turned on and it is still much faster that the last release I was using (1.0.51).
  2. I like how the image thumbnails are loading much faster thus making the overall time faster. Even more cool is the "more covers" link under the image when selecting an issue. You don't have to load all variant covers unless you select this. Nice touch there.
  3. Mos def the coolest new feature (which I assume is thanks to the new functionality of the API) is the fact you can grab the proper issue data from the Series selection dialog without having to open the Issue selection dialog. This is just a genius addition to the plugin...another great potential time saver!
I've only used this newer version for a few minutes and I can already see that it makes the previous great versions (before the API changes) pale in comparison. Keep it up buddy. Always look forward to your newly implemented development skills...each new release makes me want to keep up with improving my amateur skills.
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by oraclexview.
Time to create page: 0.436 seconds

Who's Online

We have 102 guests and 3 members online