TOPIC: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-64

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-63 4 years 6 months ago #32914

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
Here's a tip for fast scanning of comics I use(d):

You need:

* a tripod with horizontal mount
* a good camera

Lay the comic on the floor. Mount the tripod with your camera so it looks down at your comic.
Now make a photo of each double page. A simple graphic script will split pages, adjust colors and move them into a zip (or do it manually).

This is MUCH faster than moving the comic through the scanner (and much less destructive to the comic if you just have a A4 scanner).
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by cYo.
The topic has been locked.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-63 4 years 6 months ago #32915

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
cYo wrote:
Here's a tip for fast scanning of comics I use(d):

You need:

* a tripod with horizontal mount
* a good camera

Lay the comic on the floor. Mount the tripod with your camera so it looks down at your comic.
Now make a photo of each double page. A simple graphic script will split pages, adjust colors and move them into a zip (or do it manually).

This is MUCH faster than moving the comic through the scanner (and much less destructive to the comic if you just have a A4 scanner).

I ...(pregnant pause) don't really care much about destroying the comic. I only keep the digital copy i make, the comic itself goes into the recycle bin.

Now i know there's alot of people hating me right now.... but my entire library is digital now, I've even scanned and rid myself of all my old well preserved comics. (Those btw did NOT go into the recycle bin as some of them are now funding the expansion of my digital comic library. I just don't see the need for a hardcopy comic anymore.

I'm going to have to try your method simply for speed sake, but i wonder about the quality i'll get by this method.
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by T3KN0Gh057.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-63 4 years 6 months ago #32917

• cYo
Let's say a good DSLR has 10 MPixel true resolution (with a good lens). With true resolution I mean not this pseudo 20 MPixel consumer resolution where every 10 pixels have the same shade of color.

10 MPixel for A3 (roughly a double page) gives you about 220 dpi.
8 MPixel give you 200 dpi
6 MPixel give you 180 dpi

You can try it with a consumer camera and run some sharpener over it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T3KN0Gh057

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-63 4 years 6 months ago #32918

• cYo
BTW: That's what I call a well crafted thread hijack :)

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-64 4 years 6 months ago #32919

• Just Bill
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Is there a "How To" site up anywhere on how to get Comixology books into cbr format? I would spend a lot more money on that site if I could download and read them in ComicRack instead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phoenixflame87

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-63 4 years 6 months ago #32921

• Kirtai
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
cYo wrote:
I keep meaning to build something like this comic scanner but since I scan at 600dpi I'd need a monster camera to match that (my EOS 300D isn't up to it). The main reason I use that dpi is so I only need to do it once since dismantling and reassembling the comics is a pain and I don't want to have to do it twice.

Incidentally, a useful trick I learned was to put a sheet of black card or paper behind the page being scanned. It massively reduces bleedthrough at the cost of slightly darkening the scan.

On a completely unrelated note, Fiddler2 lets you see and filter everything in an HTTP session. Wireshark can do it too but at a lower level.
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Kirtai. Reason: added black card comment

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-63 4 years 6 months ago #33319

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Hello, I am using 1.0.64.

All of a sudden the option

"When several comics appear to be from the same series, only confirm series for the first one"

seems to have stopped working! It did yesterday... Is it only me? Sounds pretty weird!

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-63 4 years 6 months ago #33320

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
perezmu wrote:
Hello, I am using 1.0.64.

All of a sudden the option

"When several comics appear to be from the same series, only confirm series for the first one"

seems to have stopped working! It did yesterday... Is it only me? Sounds pretty weird!

Ok. This is not happening always. I am really puzzled. Also, I got an error report. Here is my log:
pastebin.com/q19W0qZG

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-63 4 years 6 months ago #33334

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 508
Hmmm...I don't see anything obviously wrong in that log, though I can see that it is sometimes making you pick the same series multiple times.

Usually if that happens, it's because the scraper has failed to recognize that the comics are from the same series (based on their filenames).

If comics are not located in the same folder, the scraper will not recognize that they are in the same series. Is that what's happening? If so, you can either 1) move all comics from the same series into the same folders, or 2) add IGNORE_FOLDERS=TRUE to your Advanced settings.

Let me know if that helps.
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by cbanack.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-63 4 years 6 months ago #33336

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
cbanack wrote:
If comics are not located in the same folder, the scraper will not recognize that they are in the same series. Is that what's happening? If so, you can either 1) move all comics from the same series into the same folders, or 2) add IGNORE_FOLDERS=TRUE to your Advanced settings.

Let me know if that helps.

:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Sorry, different folders, I could not remember this... thanks! :)
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds

Who's Online

We have 289 guests and 4 members online