Welcome, Guest
News and Announcements

TOPIC: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-64

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-60 6 years 4 months ago #31787

• RHFactor
  • Fresh Boarder
Firstly, thanks for all your hard work on this tool, it's fantastic. Unfortunately, I did find a bug in the latest (couple of) versions. Well, since Comic Vine changed their site, anyway. If you have "Allow scraper to overwrite existing values" Unchecked and the year is already filled in (usually by allowing proposed values), the month field will no longer be populated. It's as if the scraper thinks the month exists just because the year exists.

Much appreciated, Cory and +karma to you.
The topic has been locked.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-60 6 years 4 months ago #31790

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 568
RHFactor wrote:
Unfortunately, I did find a bug in the latest (couple of) versions. Well, since Comic Vine changed their site, anyway. If you have "Allow scraper to overwrite existing values" Unchecked and the year is already filled in (usually by allowing proposed values), the month field will no longer be populated. It's as if the scraper thinks the month exists just because the year exists.
Thanks for the bug report.

This behaviour is actually a result of the way ComicVine now tracks cover (published) dates. We no longer treat day, month and year as separate values--they are in fact parts of a single value, i.e. the "published date", which means all three value must be scraped together or not at all. Remember, the day or even the day and month of a comic's published date CAN be unknown, but that does NOT mean the date itself is blank.

In other words, "1998" is a valid published date, as is "1998-7", as is "1998-7-25". And all three represent different published "date" values that you might see in ComicVine.

To see why this matters, imagine you have a comic published in January 2010. But currently in ComicRack it has a year of 2009 set in its details, and no month or day. In other words, it has a published date of "2009". What happens if you try to scrape the comic? There's only two correct possibilities: either the published date becomes "2010-1" (a normal scrape) or the year stays at "2009" (if you have "Allow scraper to overwrite existing values" turned off.) It would be broken if the scraper set it to "2009-1", but that's what would happen if we considered each part of the date separately!
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by cbanack.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FreddieP786

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-60 6 years 4 months ago #31811

• PsychoW
  • Fresh Boarder
I don't know if this is a real bug. But when scraping comics with version 1.0.60 (but it also happened with version 1.0.59) a year is written in the volume field. It's usually the publishing year or the year when the series started (e.g. the 2013 issues of 'Before watchmen: Ozymandias' gets as volume 2012).

I don't know whether this only happens to comics with a blank volume field or with all comics.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-60 6 years 4 months ago #31827

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
PsychoW wrote:
I don't know if this is a real bug. But when scraping comics with version 1.0.60 (but it also happened with version 1.0.59) a year is written in the volume field. It's usually the publishing year or the year when the series started (e.g. the 2013 issues of 'Before watchmen: Ozymandias' gets as volume 2012).
That's not a bug, it's just how ComicVine identifies volumes, i.e. "Batman Beyond" has a 1999 volume, a 2010 volume, and a 2012 volume.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-60 6 years 4 months ago #31830

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 116
Search cannot find anything containing a ' [apostrophe] or : [colon]
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by T3KN0Gh057.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-60 6 years 4 months ago #31832

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
T3KN0Gh057 wrote:
Search cannot find anything containing a ' [apostrophe] or : [colon]
Can you give me an example or two? I just tried searching for series with ' and : in their names, and they seem to work fine...

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-60 6 years 4 months ago #31833

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 116
Thun'da, Star Wars: Empire's End
Scraping titles with an apostrophe not [´] or [`] invokes the manual search input, which is fine i just wanted to point that out.

As far as the colon goes, it seems sporadic sometimes it will sometimes it won't, but when it fails its the same issue not a problem just a little tick in an otherwise smooth operation

another thing I've found is the series "Se7en" i can't get it to find at all

Edit: Scratch the colon comment, it seems i had misspelled a group of comics (Vampirella => Vampirela)
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by T3KN0Gh057.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-60 6 years 4 months ago #31834

• Mammut
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
I have to edit Victoria's Secret Service, too, in the Search Failed window.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-60 6 years 4 months ago #31835

• RHFactor
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the explanation, Cory. I believe my best course would be to temporarily set proposed values to no so that there is no default year when I scape. Thanks for listening and for making such a great plugin.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.59-60 6 years 4 months ago #31836

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
@T3KN0Gh057 and @Mammut: thanks guys, I'll look into this.

In the meantime, if you have trouble getting an issue to scrape (like "Se7en"), try this: find the series' main page at Comic Vine, and then copy the url for that page into the search dialog of the scraper. This will force it to find that series.

e.g. to find "Se7en", search for:
http://www.comicvine.com/se7en/4050-19286/

@RHFactor: No problem. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: syphrezero
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds

Who's Online

We have 131 guests and no members online