Welcome, Guest
News and Announcements

TOPIC: Comic Vine Scraper

Comic Vine Scraper 11 months 2 weeks ago #46744

• ClayM
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Anybody have an improved regex or some way to get around CVS matching on the wrong volume?

For example, if I have

Suicide Squad 008 (2016)

I get matches on

Suicide Squad 2014 (defaults to)
Suicide Squad 2016

Is there a way to get it to check the year when it searches? Seems like it should be able to default to the 2016 version.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Comic Vine Scraper 11 months 2 weeks ago #46745

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 118
The defaults take in consideration what you scrapped before... when you have scraped a lot of volume 2016 this volume will be the new default...

If it is not the first comic of the volume you scrap, you can use my script to auto populate volume id (which takes in account a lot of things, including year) to have completely automatic scraping... (this doesn't work for number 1s and comics you don't have another of the same volume though)

comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/13-scripts/3...pt-beta?limitstart=0

Take in condideration it auto populate many fields, not only volume... as Series Group, Count, Format, Etc (all taken from your other comics)

I am working now in a database for my script to do this without searching in your already scrapped books for data... but not completed it yet...
Last Edit: 11 months 2 weeks ago by Xelloss.

Comic Vine Scraper 9 months 3 weeks ago #46979

• Magmadrag
  • Fresh Boarder
Maybe I am to stupid to handle the search-tool or ComicRack/ComicVineScraper is not used that much in Germany, so I need to post a list of questions in the hope to find some clarifications. I numbered the things I anyhow don't understand to make it easier to answer them:

1. What is the database for CVS? Or: How could I upload missing data I added to my ComicRack without typing all data for a second time to a site where I would have to create an account? As CR always wants me to update files, it is at least then a problem if the database of CVS doesn't have any updates as I had to create the data manually. I would like to say that for at least 30 % of my comics I had to enter the data manually as it is not part of the source. So if there is a possibility that CVS works both ways (not only downloading data, but uploading it, too), then it might be easier for anybody else to enhance the database simply with ComicRack.

2. The colum with the number of comics in the series is at least a little bit confusing! E. g. I update a series with 7 comics, CVS shows me the series with 6, but all my comics get data. So is this normal that the column always shows the real number - 1?

3. Referring to the database: I try to organize my database the way "as much as possible but as less as neccessary", what means: If there is one publisher, I don't want to have him with two or more different versions of the name (e. g. "Feest Verlag", "Reiner Feest Verlag" or "Carlsen", "Carlsen Comics", "Carlsen Verlag"). Is there anybody who could check things like this?

4. (This might be a request for a maybe senceless feature) I'd appreciate one more column in the CVS, but as I nearly never get data to automatically fill the field "language", it might be senceless. I am german, so most of my comics are, too. But I got also a load of english comics. So I filled the field for all my comics manually. If it would be part of the database, sometimes this could make it easier to find the correct data. So often the German versions have exactly the same title page as the original US (or French or whatever) versions. But in the translations it's very often handled different: O just remember one Spider-Man series, starting with the same picture, but issue #2 (German) had the front page of issue #5 (US). So I did a little bit of research and found out that the german version had much more pages then the original. 5 US issues (story a - part 1 - 5) were combined to 1 German issue (story a). And without confirming every single issue CVS simply is not able to find/fill in the correct data. But with an additional language-column in the results window, I would know at once that "English" couldn't be the correct data for a German release.

5. Finally one more thing (to make the list short and to find an end) about the data I download with CVS: Is this entered manually? Or even scanned? The reason for this question is my problem with the "special" German letters. As I am quite sure you won't be able to see what I mean if I write them, I placed the picture below. At least 50 % of the downloaded data which includes that letters has them, but I need to check every single title, if it is correct. And that's a load of work. And this way I am back at uploading corrected/enhanced data to the CVS-Database/-Source. On the picture below you see the German letters in the first column and in the second what I get from/with CVS. Any idea how I could handle this without spending hours to care about? Especially as so often I only get the title from CVS but nothing else it might be easier to type it manually than to check every single one...... and: Sorry for asking so much. That's the enthusiasm of a Newbie ;-)

Comic Vine Scraper 9 months 3 weeks ago #46981

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 508
1. The database behind CVS is comicvine.gamespot.com/. You can register an account there and start adding changes if you notice that there are errors or omissions in their data. This is a great way to give back to the community, but beware -- you need to read their rules quite closely before submitting any changes. They are quite strict about how they do things, and they will simply reject any changes you make that don't meet their approval.

2. The problem you've noticed with number of comics in the series is a longstanding bug with the comicvine data. It sometimes takes a while for the count of comics to be updated properly, so for many recent comic series, the number is off by one.

3. You could update the publisher name in the ComicVine data so they are always consistent, or you can use the PUBLISHER_ALIAS setting in the Advanced Settings area.

4. I'm not currently adding new features to Comic Vine Scraper.

5. All of the data that Comic Vine Scraper downloads comes from the Comic Vine database, as mentioned in 1 above. When there are errors with special German letters for some comics, you should be able to fix these problems permanently on comicvine.com.

Comic Vine Scraper: Monsters Unleashed Not Scraping 9 months 2 weeks ago #47035

• ShaneZ
  • Fresh Boarder
Anyone else not getting any info for the Monsters Unleashed series (crossover not the main series)? I can see issues of Doctor Strange MU, Spiderman-Deadpool MU, etc... on ComicVine but nothing coming through over the last week-10 days...

Comic Vine Scraper: Monsters Unleashed Not Scraping 9 months 2 weeks ago #47036

• pweasel
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
they are there, click on "show issues" and select the appropriate.
CRW 0.9.178 x64 on Win10
CRA 1.80 on Nexus 10
The following user(s) said Thank You: Martell86

Comic Vine Scraper: Monsters Unleashed Not Scraping 9 months 2 weeks ago #47037

• ShaneZ
  • Fresh Boarder
Ahhhhh! Thanks!

Wouldn't have even thought of that as I was sorting the list by publish date (2017) and looking for something with "MU" or "Monsters Unleashed", not going into the existing series. Seems counter-intuitive and inaccurate.... At least I can find it now so it'll be consistent... thanks again!...

Comic Vine Scraper: Monsters Unleashed Not Scraping 9 months 2 weeks ago #47038

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 118
Comicvine decided to put them as special numbers and not separate volumes as Marvel used "1.MU" as a number...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Martell86

Comic Vine Scraper: Monsters Unleashed Not Scraping 9 months 2 weeks ago #47039

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 65
Xelloss wrote:
Comicvine decided to put them as special numbers and not separate volumes as Marvel used "1.MU" as a number...
Ugh. That nonsense again.

Comic Vine Scraper: Monsters Unleashed Not Scraping 9 months 1 week ago #47083

• Martell86
  • Junior Boarder
pweasel wrote:
they are there, click on "show issues" and select the appropriate.
Xelloss wrote:

Thank you! Damn, I kept running into them and they were obviously full Marvel issues, I'd seen reviews and such, but they weren't listed as any new series and they weren't listed as the most recent issue, but of course the list of "Show Issues" doesn't order by publication date, it lists by issue number. Ugh, what a headache.
Last Edit: 9 months 1 week ago by Martell86.
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds

Who's Online

We have 259 guests and one member online