Welcome, Guest
News and Announcements

TOPIC: Comic Vine Scraper

Comic Vine Scraper 6 months 6 days ago #47549

• Squall13
  • Fresh Boarder
Based on everyone's comments it seems that the major problem with me is my directory and file naming.

My stuff is pretty messy right now. Currently it's separated in Story Arcs. For example, under D:\Comics are multiple folders like Annihilation, House of M, Civil War and inside those are just issues with different naming schemes with the starting number as the reading order. For example, "001 - Sentinel Squad One 02 (of 5) (2006), and "013 - New X-Men v02 022 (2006). So it's basically all over the place.

But the X-Men I'm currently testing the scraper right now is on a folder called D:\Comics\Dump. I just followed the guide I linked earlier, copied XMen200-250 there as my test case, and went to town

I guess I didn't know how much it would affect this scraper since my only experience with file scrapers are from Picard and Kodi, both of which doesn't seem to care about that.

What is the widely acceptable filenaming and folder structuring in the comic community?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Comic Vine Scraper 6 months 6 days ago #47550

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
Squall13 wrote:
I guess I didn't know how much it would affect this scraper since my only experience with file scrapers are from Picard and Kodi, both of which doesn't seem to care about that.

What is the widely acceptable filenaming and folder structuring in the comic community?
I can only speak for myself yet I'll say that the ComicRack Comic Vine Scraper works just great regardless of how you store your files. All my new files are kept in one or two directories and those are the locations that the Scraper is usually run against. Granted there are folder structures and file name formats you can use to improve the Scraper's auto-accuracy yet I find it quicker for me to just run the Scraper against the files as they are and point to the missed comics manually. Then I have the File Organizer script do the folder and file naming/moving tasks for me.

Comic Vine Scraper 6 months 6 days ago #47551

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 65
Squall13 wrote:
Based on everyone's comments it seems that the major problem with me is my directory and file naming.

My stuff is pretty messy right now. Currently it's separated in Story Arcs. For example, under D:\Comics are multiple folders like Annihilation, House of M, Civil War and inside those are just issues with different naming schemes with the starting number as the reading order. For example, "001 - Sentinel Squad One 02 (of 5) (2006), and "013 - New X-Men v02 022 (2006). So it's basically all over the place.

But the X-Men I'm currently testing the scraper right now is on a folder called D:\Comics\Dump. I just followed the guide I linked earlier, copied XMen200-250 there as my test case, and went to town

There isn't a widely acceptable standard. There are general conventions that you have "Series Name [Volume] number", but there could be underscores, # signs, dashes, dates of publication, etc. Sometimes they have scanner credits (the krackalacka and similar with publishers on the really old books confuse CVS). It's more that the lack of space between the series name and number struck us as ... odd. The leading numbers in the titles above will likely be dealt with by CVS. And other than that, the file naming structure is pretty normal. Since they're all different, I recommend pulling them all into ComicRack (after dealing with the oddness that is those XMEN books) and let CVS attempt to auto scrape everything for you. Then manually deal with what's left, creating regular expression alternates (ALTREGEX= ) for large enough groups, and dealing with manually finding the smaller numbered series.

Then, if you want, after everything is scraped, utilize the Data Manager and File Manager Library Organizer plugins to create a different directory structure to your liking. And use Reading Lists/Smart Lists to organize your storylines.
Last Edit: 6 months 6 days ago by boshuda.

Comic Vine Scraper 6 months 6 days ago #47552

• Crazher
  • Fresh Boarder
My file/folder organization is somewhat along these lines: ...\Comics\Publisher\Decade\Year\Month\{ <year0>}{<month#2>}{<Day2>}{ <series>}{ V<volume>}{ #<number2>}{ { <title>}.file

(Ideally this would include # of X (total in series), but this feature does not work too well unless you manually enter it, and would need to be updated every time a new comic is released for ongoing series).

For example: ...\Comics\Marvel\1970-1979\1973\02 February\19730201 The X-Men V1963 #80 Beware The Juggernaut, My Son!.cbz

I personally prefer my files to be organized by release, but inside ComicRack I have folders based on character chronology (by appearance and real world release date), story arcs, team-ups, what-ifs, and what have you.
Last Edit: 6 months 4 days ago by Crazher.

Comic Vine Scraper 6 months 6 days ago #47553

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 65
Okay, this post will make your eyes bleed. Don't read it and just organize your books however you want :sick:

See - no convention. I prefer the following:
/Publisher/Series (YYYY)/Series vYYYY #x (of y) (YYYYMM)
Where the YYYY in the Folder name and after the 'v' in the file name refers to the year the Volume started. The YYYYMM at the end is the publication year and month, if known. Otherwise it has just the (year) or is an empty (). The 'of' only fills in if the 'of' field in the Comic Info is listed.

And the number will pad zeroes to the front based on the largest number thanks to Library Organizer. For example, in books where the largest number is 6 it will be "Comic Series v2012 #5 (of 6) (201208).cbz", but in books where the largest is 99 issues it would be "Comic Series v2012 #05 (of 99) (201502).cbz"

Comic Vine Scraper 6 months 6 days ago #47555

• krandor
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Squall13 wrote:

There really isn't a standard. I have stuff in all kinds of different formats and mainly rely on CVS and Comicrack to organize them for me. However some conventions cause more issues then others. The two that cause me the most issues are

1) Like you bad above where it is XMEN101 since it can be hard to separate out the title from the number since there is no separator
2) Stuff in a reading order list. If the filename is 05 fantastic four 47, I have to almost always handle them manually because it will search for "05 Fantastic Four" and I'll have to change it to just fantastic four.
3) Titles with a number in the name like "Earth 2". It wants to look for series earth and issue 2. Any items like this I have to turn off automatic because it will think every one is issue 2.

Outside of those corner cases most eevrything else runs fine. Once in a file something added to the filename like a year can cause a few issues but those are few and far between and normally easy to see when you hit search again and see what name it lists. Remove the "bad" part and hit search.

Comic Vine Scraper 6 months 6 days ago #47557

• Crazher
  • Fresh Boarder
Oh yeah I do actually sort it into publisher as well. Forgot that little line :P

Comic Vine Scraper 6 months 6 days ago #47558

• Reason
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
This is my general naming structure Superman 023 (2017) (2 covers) (digital) (Minutemen-Slayer), Justice League-Power Rangers 004 (2017) (Digital) (BlackManta-Empire)
Last Edit: 6 months 6 days ago by Reason. Reason: adding another example

Comic Vine Scraper 6 months 4 days ago #47568

• romsnesrom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Squall13 wrote:

Dude, do I wish we had something like this. I reached to some scanners over the years about this, but I do not think it is going to happen. It could make for a smooth sailing for scraping, organizing AND attributing proper credits to scanners.

Comic Vine Scraper 6 months 4 days ago #47570

• Squall13
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello all. Late update IRL busy. Thanks to all the amazing people here in helping this newbie I solved the problem. Your analyses were right and the main issue is the apparently "weird" naming of my comics. I used a program called Advanced Renamer and just appended "Uncanny" and inserted a space between the name and the issue number and it went through! Thanks all.

Now my problem is figuring our how to name / structure them. Can't decide but at the same time I'm addicted to digital organization so I wish I can figure it out somehow.

I'd love hear your sage advice on these. I'm currently following pleb infographics like this and such.. What would be the most beneficial organization and is there an effective naming scheme that I can use where I don't have to append chronological numbering at the start of the comic when I want to read it on tablet apps like PerfectViewer, Challnger Comic Reader and Comicrack mobile?

Again, thanks a lot for your help. Really really appreciated
Time to create page: 0.251 seconds

Who's Online

We have 194 guests and 3 members online