Welcome, Guest
News and Announcements

TOPIC: Comic Vine Scraper

Comic Vine Scraper 6 months 3 weeks ago #47571

• pweasel
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
If you scraped all comics, and you are using comicrack mobile, you can always sort by published date and you get chrono without adding stuff to the filename

CRW 0.9.178 x64 on Win10
CRA 1.80 on Nexus 10
Last Edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by pweasel.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Comic Vine Scraper 6 months 3 weeks ago #47572

• Crazher
  • Fresh Boarder
Squall13 wrote:
Now my problem is figuring our how to name / structure them. Can't decide but at the same time I'm addicted to digital organization so I wish I can figure it out somehow.

I'd love hear your sage advice on these. I'm currently following pleb infographics like this and such.. What would be the most beneficial organization and is there an effective naming scheme that I can use where I don't have to append chronological numbering at the start of the comic when I want to read it on tablet apps like PerfectViewer, Challnger Comic Reader and Comicrack mobile?

Like Boshuda implied, organizing your comics and asking for advice on how to do it, will lead to a ton of different options.

I personally prefer the chronological, but as you saw, Boshuda was more towards organizing by series. Now, I am going to tell you - Literally just do it however you think will let you access and scrape your files easiest.

I personally rarely access my files (the ACTUAL files in my folders) directly from the explorer, and I read my comics based on release date (literally starting from 1939 in Marvels case). I always access them directly from ComicRack, and as such I basically just went with release date for my file organization like I mentioned earlier:
Crazher wrote:
For example: ...\Comics\Marvel\1970-1979\1973\02 February\19730201 The X-Men V1963 #80 Beware The Juggernaut, My Son!.cbz

Once your files are scraped and organized, you can EASILY make lists for ComicRack that suit any purpose without using extra filespace. For example I have multiple entries of the same comics inside different ComicRack lists/folders (i.e. Annihilation stories are featured in my a) Annihilation Story Arc by reading order, b) Chronological sorting of each character by appearance date, c) my "favorites" list).

As for the App, your file name really does not matter much, you can still read sorted by ComicRack-folder/list, series, story line, published or as you said, filename. For this, to avoid Crossover issues: I personally prefer reading one series at a time PER year. So for example:

I will have for example 1973 in which I have.. Avengers, Daredevil, X-men (I actually have like two dozen different series in that year), and simply read that year's Avengers series first, then that year's Daredevil series, and so on. Once I have exhausted that year, I move on to 1974. I found that you avoid major spoilers best by sticking to one year at a time, and it is more interesting than reading per each issue per month.

Comic Vine Scraper 6 months 3 weeks ago #47573

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 65
Can I recommend a new thread for discussion of how to organize folders, files, reading lists, etc? It's no longer related to CVS. I think it's a great discussion to have, and I'm curious how others organize and view their stuff. But it should be in a different thread.
The following user(s) said Thank You: romsnesrom

Comic Vine Scraper 6 months 3 weeks ago #47574

• Squall13
  • Fresh Boarder
Ok sorry about derailing the main purpose of this thread

Again, THANK YOU everyone who helped me here

Comic Vine Scraper 6 months 2 weeks ago #47611

• Banedon
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
FWIW, the change to the publication day worked fine for me as well. I'd noticed that the day wasn't there many, many moons ago, I just figured there was a good reason! Glad someone mentioned it.

Of course, now I have one more quibble...the date format is different in the published column than the opened or added column. This isn't a scraper issue, as they're scanned into the correct day/month/year fields. Does anyone know how to change that column format to be mm/dd/yyyy? I'm a dumb american and dd/mm/yyyy hurts my little brain.

EDIT: Found the answer..and apparently cYo did this on purpose, thinking people wouldn't have the publication day very often.

comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/10-bugs/3474...ormat-in-detail-view
Last Edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by Banedon.

Comic Vine Scraper 6 months 1 week ago #47632

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 65
I did the modification to scrape the published day. However, I find it annoying as Comicvine seems to just pull the last day of the month. Has anyone found any comics where this is actually a real value? Like in those annoying books that ship multiple times in a month, having two separate days? Or just a book where the published day is something other than the last day of the month?

Comic Vine Scraper 6 months 1 week ago #47639

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
Surely the day is meaningless for many books such as big two books. Big two books use publication dates that are just a month, and two months hence at that. Image and others don't tend to place a day in the indicia which is where publication date is usually taken from.

Comicrack also scrapes release date for most new books, which is the best source for this kind of info. You could theoretically use Data Manager to populate the day of the month, but it wouldn't represent anything. For other publishers you could do this meaningfully.

Release Date is my preferred field for many things. Format details for making Smart Lists using Release Dates can be found here. Theoretically you could use Regex to strip out days in Data Manager but not without a rewrite because at the moment you cant access it as a field with regex.

In general I prefer my database to represent how comics are represented in their own indicia, so I wouldn't want to see day populated unless it was actually published with one.

For those like me that like to manually enter release dates for older entries you can find dates or best estimates here. That page also has useful spreadsheets with this data.
Last Edit: 6 months 1 week ago by jkthemac.
The following user(s) said Thank You: romsnesrom, pweasel

Comic Vine Scraper 6 months 1 week ago #47662

• Drybonz
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I'm not getting any scraping search results for things like "avengers" tonight. Is anyone else having problems? Trying to determine if it's on my end, comic vine, or the script.

Comic Vine Scraper 6 months 1 week ago #47681

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 508
Drybonz wrote:
I'm not getting any scraping search results for things like "avengers" tonight. Is anyone else having problems? Trying to determine if it's on my end, comic vine, or the script.

I just tried searching for "avengers" and it seems to be working fine for me.

Maybe it was just a temporary outage of their service and you just got unlucky?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Drybonz

Comic Vine Scraper 6 months 6 days ago #47712

• Drybonz
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Yes, thank you... probably. I came back later and it was searching properly, so I think you are right. Never sure where to go to find out about that because there isn't really a central source of support for comic vine. Anyway, thanks again.
Time to create page: 0.284 seconds

Who's Online

We have 258 guests and 3 members online