Welcome, Guest
News and Announcements

TOPIC: Comic Vine Scraper

Comic Vine Scraper 1 week 2 days ago #48513

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Could be they're implementing some of the proxy/vpn/IP-banning stuff. That crap that sometimes makes you have to enter a captcha? IDK, it seems like they don't have a full-time person on the code base anymore, so I'm kind of waiting for it to go completely offline. Hopefuly Xelloss has scraped the entire damn thing by now, lol.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Comic Vine Scraper 1 week 2 days ago #48514

The website just opened up for me again. RIght after it came available I got an obnoxious 404 when browsing to comicvine.gamespot.com/api/ but, again, that URL worked fine from another network. A minute or two later I was able to browse to the API page again.
The last two times I got a failure and subsequent lockout I was scraping Thor so I skipped on a bit and tried scraping another series and got the same thing. The scrape succeeded but I didn't get any cover images. A few seconds later I got the same error and now I can't access the website again.

I hope it's just an error and not an attempt to lockout API users. It sure looks like an IPS lockout to me.
I wish we had more options for scraping.

Comic Vine Scraper 1 week 2 days ago #48515

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 508
Is there an example of a specific comic or two that never scrapes properly? (I could try them on my end, and see if there's some problem with the scraper that might be fixable.)

Comic Vine Scraper 1 week 2 days ago #48516

• Knight187
  • Fresh Boarder
it doesn't even scrape for me. I just get a timed out error.
see attached for the specific error message
Attachments:

Comic Vine Scraper 1 week 2 days ago #48517

• Gemris
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
For me, everything scraped except the latest issue of Cyborg and the last two Superman. As it turned out, I couldn’t even search those. I scraped about 70 recent titles, both before and after and in between those. It took me a minute to realize that I could continue with others when those didn’t work. But for those title searches, comicrack would freeze up and then give me the same message as above every time.

Comic Vine Scraper 1 week 2 days ago #48518

• Gemris
  • Junior Boarder
cbanack wrote:
Is there an example of a specific comic or two that never scrapes properly? (I could try them on my end, and see if there's some problem with the scraper that might be fixable.)

For me, everything scraped except the latest issue of Cyborg and the last two Superman. As it turned out, I couldn’t even search those. I scraped about 70 recent titles, both before and after and in between those. It took me a minute to realize that I could continue with others when those didn’t work. But for those title searches, comicrack would freeze up and then give me the same message as above every time.

Comic Vine Scraper 1 week 2 days ago #48519

• Reason
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I had no problems on Wed with the zero day issues but trying to run it today(thursday) on some back issues and it's timing out

Comic Vine Scraper 1 week 2 days ago #48520

• FPMPlay
  • Senior Boarder
So I tried connecting to the ComicVine website and it was not coming up even though it was not being reported as down. I fired up the VPN and then the site worked for me. So this led to me to believe that IPs were being blocked.

When I tried scraping it still timed out so its not just IP. I hope this comes back. Its going to be a pain otherwise.

Comic Vine Scraper 1 week 2 days ago #48521

• Scuttle
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Yep, definitely getting IP-banned... all of comicvine.com is unreachable from my home IP, using phone or connecting from work is just fine.

Tried emailing their support...

Comic Vine Scraper 1 week 2 days ago #48522

• Jothay
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
Also showing banned here. Do we think it's specific to ComicRack users that scrape?
Time to create page: 0.264 seconds

Who's Online

We have 211 guests and 5 members online