Welcome, Guest
News and Announcements

TOPIC: Comic Vine Scraper

Comic Vine Scraper 5 months 3 days ago #48621

• zigl00
  • Fresh Boarder
While searching for a suitable replacement for ComicRack, I came across YACReader and saw that that too is having problems scraping data from ComicVine. I found a post in their forum:
There is fix for this without the need of a new release.

Step 1: add COMIC_VINE_BASE_URL entry to your YACReaderLibrary.ini config file

[ComicVine]
COMIC_VINE_API_KEY=your_api_key
COMIC_VINE_BASE_URL=https://comicvine.gamespot.com/api

YACReaderLibrary.ini can be found in these locations

macos

/Users/yourusername/Library/Application\ Support/YACReader/YACReaderLibrary/YACReaderLibrary.ini

windows

C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\YACReader\YACReaderLibrary\YACReaderLibrary.ini

linux

it depends on your distro, it should be in your home directory

Step 2: only for windows, download openssl binaries zip, extract it and put libeay32.dll[/] and ssleay32.dll in YACReader's installation folder.
indy.fulgan.com/SSL/openssl-1.0.2k-i386-win32.zip

Step 3: delete COMIC_VINE_BASE_URL entry when a new release of YACReader will be released.

So that made me wonder, would fixing the ComicVine Scraper for ComicRack be as simple as that? I'm just not sure where to make the changes for this one.

This plugin (and the library organizer one) has been the only thing keeping me using ComicRack, since its so much better and easier than moving and renaming everything manually. I'd hate to see it die, too.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Comic Vine Scraper 5 months 3 days ago #48622

• Kiljoy McCoy
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Comicvine site was down today and since it has been back up I have had no issues with it at all.

I have been looking for a comicrack replacement for months now. As it seems that since this has been abandonned we are just one or two problems away from comicrack becoming unusable. But I have been unable to find anything that is even close to as good at comic file management as Comicrack

Comic Vine Scraper 5 months 3 days ago #48624

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 532
zigl00 wrote:
So that made me wonder, would fixing the ComicVine Scraper for ComicRack be as simple as that? I'm just not sure where to make the changes for this one.

No, those changes aren't going to make a difference in this case. The problems that everyone has been experiencing are clearly on the "server side", meaning that the Comic Vine people need to fix them. On the bright side, it sounds like they have already fixed one of the issues (people getting IP banned for accessing the API too much/scraping too much) and they are working on the second issue (certain series like Superman and Cyborg timing out when you search for them.)

Now that they are aware of the problem(s), they will hopefully get fixed fairly soon.
Last Edit: 5 months 3 days ago by cbanack.

Comic Vine Scraper 5 months 2 days ago #48635

• jericko
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Looks like the problem is resolved. I am able to scrape again with no issues including Superman.

Comic Vine Scraper 4 months 6 days ago #48706

• kino13
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Just wanted to say that since a few days the scrapper has been working... poorly.

I know the last messages say it's back to normal but my experience has been erratic performance (sometimes slow, sometimes it just hangs on titles, hang ups, etc).

I have no doubt that it's the same usual shit with the idiots from the comicvine.

What's your experience?
with no power comes no responsibility. except that wasn't true

Comic Vine Scraper 4 months 6 days ago #48708

I'm still putzing away at initially getting my stash into ComicRack. I've been scraping in small amounts, anywhere from 50 to 200 per night. I haven't had any scraping issues for the last 3 or 4 weeks.

Comic Vine Scraper 4 months 5 days ago #48714

• kino13
  • Senior Boarder
For more than a week now I have been experiencing all the issues that have been commenting about a month ago: slow response, hang up of the scrapper, huge delay until the cover appears...

Comic Vine Scraper 4 months 5 days ago #48715

• Martell86
  • Junior Boarder
The issues might be on your end... I'm not seeing any issues/differences from my normal scraping (usually scrape about 150 or so every week).

Comic Vine Scraper 4 months 3 days ago #48729

• kino13
  • Senior Boarder
Right now is back to normal.

No changes have been done in my system. Response is normal, cover display takes just seconds, no delay between scraps...

Comic Vine Scraper 4 months 3 days ago #48730

• kino13
  • Senior Boarder
And now it back to slow...

There's definitely an issue there, my bet is on the server side.

I am located in Europe, and it stopped working just around 15:00 gmt, which is just the morning in the US.
Time to create page: 0.329 seconds

Who's Online

We have 206 guests and 2 members online