Welcome, Guest
News and Announcements

TOPIC: ComicRack sync without comics on Hardrive

ComicRack sync without comics on Hardrive 1 year 4 months ago #45760

So I have a 1TB hard drive but even so with all my comic downloads everything is adding up, and it's adding up fast. So what I want to know is if there is a way for me to use ComicRack without my comics on my hard drive. For instance, as most of you know when you put a comic in CR you get a list which you can export into a file and put anywhere. So I'm wondering that if I put the comic in ComicRack library can I then delete or move my comics to a different drive? If so please let me know.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ComicRack sync without comics on Hardrive 1 year 4 months ago #45762

• Fuzzyluzzi
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 44
Comic Rack is a database of all of your comics that you have imported. If you have them on an external HD, as most of us do, it will have them listed as such. If for any reason that drive isn't connected, the database will still have the listing for your comic, but the thumbnail image won't be able to load as no file exists and you will see a Red X.

The file locations are static in the database. So if you import a comic that is in C:\Comics and you move it to D:\Comics, Comicrack will not know where the file is. There are various methods for moving batch comics to other directories. Depending on if you want to simply change the drive letter, or move based on data. Library Organizer is your friend.

If you want to disconnect your Hard Drive, go ahead. But if you want to look at or sync, you need to reattach it at some point.

ComicRack sync without comics on Hardrive 1 year 4 months ago #45763

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
I wonder if what you are looking for is an effective way to archive files you don't need ready access to. One way of doing this would be to convert the entry into a fileless one and then somewhere in your data for that fileless entry include details of where you have stored the file so that you can go and find it if you need to.

This is what I do with stuff I have bought that are DRM files or increasingly rarely paper copies. I include a Comixology tag or a bookshelf tag so I know where to find it.

This is pretty much what the Catalog tab is for in Info... which includes Book Location
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by jkthemac.

ComicRack sync without comics on Hardrive 1 year 4 months ago #45875

• Dom
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi SpideryReader,
If you just want to save space you could convert your library to WEBP image format with high zip compression.

It may add additional loading time when you open comics and the picture quality will vary depending on how much you want to save but default value is pretty impressive and you generally shouldn't notice any difference.

I did this on 20k comics and reduced the library size by about 33%.

I recommend you don't just jump in and you first experiment with what settings you want.
Right click on a book and go to Export Books > Export Books... , create a new profile and set the books to be sent to a new folder and keep the original in the library, then you can compare the original and WEBP version and improve the profile.
Have fun.

Regards,
Dom

ComicRack sync without comics on Hardrive 1 year 4 months ago #45876

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
It has to be said there is absolutely nothing about Webp that cant also be performed with standard jpg compression. You just need to know your settings.
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds

Who's Online

We have 193 guests and 3 members online