Welcome, Guest
News and Announcements

TOPIC: Marvel's New Universe

Marvel's New Universe 1 year 3 weeks ago #46469

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
In 1986 Shooter launched the New Universe line of comics. A universe outside of MU continuity with the tag line 'The world outside your window'. The world was supposed to be just like the real world but diverting from our timeline after a phenomenon called The White Event.

During Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers run, he introduced a number of these concepts and characters into the MU, and more have started cropping up since Secret Wars.

The line was designed to be in real time, and so for each run I will include them in release date order.

Firstly we have the main books that ran from 1986 to 1990 which included Star Brand, Nightmask, D.P.7, and Justice. All of which seem to be involved in the MU now in some way or another.

File Attachment:

File Name: NewUniverse.cbl
File Size:13 KB

At this point the line was cancelled despite healthy sales and the creators were moved to MU projects.

Perter David moved a character into his Spider-Man 2099 run (Kind of a spoiler to say this, but here is no way around that). These are the relevant issues [1993-1996] :

File Attachment:

File Name: SM2099.cbl
File Size:1 KB

Around this time (1994) Mark Gruenwald, decided to introduce the characters into the MU resulting in a mini event StarBlast:

File Attachment:

File Name: StarblastC...over.cbl

These issues occurred during a wider run of Quasar, so for context these are the issues that span that event.

File Attachment:

File Name: Quasar.cbl
File Size:2 KB

In 2005 Marvel's universe hopping team of Exiles found themselves in the New Universe (or a universe very similar) and later some of these ideas were revisited in a special:

File Attachment:

File Name: Exiles.cbl

Later, for the 20th Anniversary of the New Universe a series of 'Untold Tales' were published including some backup stories (note reprinted Digital versions of some of these don't have the backup stories):

File Attachment:

File Name: UntoldTales.cbl

Then a mini-series was published titled 'newuniversal'.

File Attachment:

File Name: newuniversal.cbl

If anyone knows of any more New Universe books or tie-ins before Hickman's White Event, let me know.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by jkthemac.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChrisR

Marvel's New Universe 1 year 3 weeks ago #46475

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 117
I was just reading about this comics... as now Marvel is introducing 616 versions of this characters more and more every day...

Marvel's New Universe 1 year 2 weeks ago #46477

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
Yes a discussion about the characters in The Ultimates prompted me to put this list together. I have not read all of these, I read some of the Star Brand run on Marvel Unlimited which at the time wasn't complete, and I read the most recent material as research when Hickman started bringing in things like The Superflow and The White Event. Quite what it means, that these characters are cropping up I don't know. I suspect the original idea was supposed to tie-in to the rise of Inhumans but they ended up changing tack towards the Terrigen Mist clouds instead. Now I have no idea.

The bringing in of the characters could be as simple as wanting to protect their IP, or promotion of the more obscure works on Marvel Unlimited or it could be that a number of writers like Hickman and Ewing were fans of the comics. As I mentioned above they were quite successful, and were cancelled for strategic reasons not because of poor sales. I think some of the writers are returning to the well of the Captain Marvel archetype of hero, which has a special mix of aspirational heroism, less cynical, normal people with very great power, metaphors for transformation and coming of age with an optimistic goal. Star Brand has this quality, as did Quasar, Aaron's Thor is touching on it, and to some extent Ms. Marvel and Nova have it. I am all for less cynical comics.

On the other hand the New Universe comics did have a creeping cynicism, especially in the villains and the backdrop.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by jkthemac.

Marvel's New Universe 1 year 2 weeks ago #46483

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
At this time I was almost exclusively reading the X-Men universe. I think I was also reading Darkhawk and Sleepwalker (unless they'd already cancelled it), a few Spidey comics, but that's about it. Oh, and Superpro #1 ;) . Maybe I was switching over to Image books at this point, for the first month or two they actually kind of shipped on schedule, that is.

Marvel's New Universe 1 year 2 weeks ago #46488

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 117
jkthemac wrote:
Yes a discussion about the characters in The Ultimates prompted me to put this list together.

The same here... with the troubleshooters... However I have given it a glimpse with the Starbrand and Nightmask thing last year...

I love when Marvel or DC revive some old universe ideas for expanding their main one :)
Last Edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by Xelloss.
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds

Who's Online

We have 260 guests and 3 members online