Welcome, Guest
News and Announcements

TOPIC: Naming/differing series

Naming/differing series 9 months 19 hours ago #46978

• Magmadrag
  • Fresh Boarder
I couldn't find anything about this topic (alltough I am sure that many people allready had the same or a similar problem), so I thought I should ask you, how you handle this:

If it's about long living characters like e. g. Superman or Batman, there are countless series with them. And - sometimes a little bit confusing - all of the series have the same name (e. g. "Batman")

So if I title the series with it's real name "Batman", then ComicRack shows me 150 comics of one series "Batman" altough it's 20 or more different ones. So what do you do or how do you name the several series to make it visible that it is not only one?

Thanks vor your support in advance!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Naming/differing series 9 months 6 hours ago #46986

• romsnesrom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Probably the best option is to use a tool like Comic Vine Scrapper and use "Series" to differentiate between them.

Naming/differing series 9 months 5 hours ago #46987

• Magmadrag
  • Fresh Boarder
I allready use CVS - and that on a special way caused that problem. Before I probably called them "Batman Album", "Batman Condor" or however, but with updating the data with CVS, suddenly all of them were only "Batman"

If you use CVS and search for such popular titles like Batman, Superman, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man or however, CVS finds most times dozends of series with the same nome. Other years, other printing company, other number of issues, but still the same name for a series.

As this happened I decided to place this question here. Now it's much more different to sort the comics back to separate series

Naming/differing series 9 months 4 hours ago #46988

• romsnesrom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Have you tried stacking by series after searching for batman?

Naming/differing series 9 months 3 hours ago #46989

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 117
Series is "series name", it will happen what is discrived in the first post...

Try using comicvine_volume custom field instead for stacking :P

Indeed, you gave me a great idea for a new script... a custome value made from series name, volume year and cv id... so that you can use it for better staking :P

It would be extremely easy to make, and in my case quite useful, I will work in it right away!
Last Edit: 9 months 3 hours ago by Xelloss.

Naming/differing series 8 months 4 weeks ago #46991

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
I ended up using a Data Manager Rule for this, create a custom value, and then stack by it:

Last Edit: 8 months 4 weeks ago by Xelloss.
The following user(s) said Thank You: perezmu

Naming/differing series 8 months 4 weeks ago #47010

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
Magmadrag wrote:
I allready use CVS - and that on a special way caused that problem. Before I probably called them "Batman Album", "Batman Condor" or however, but with updating the data with CVS, suddenly all of them were only "Batman"

If you use CVS and search for such popular titles like Batman, Superman, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man or however, CVS finds most times dozends of series with the same nome. Other years, other printing company, other number of issues, but still the same name for a series.

As this happened I decided to place this question here. Now it's much more different to sort the comics back to separate series

I think what you are having difficulty with is you are not sorting by more than one data field. Presumably you are grouping by Series. If so return to the 'Grouped By' pull-down and holding down the shift key select Volume, this will then separate out each volume. My default view sorts by Volume first and then Series. This has the advantage of keeping everything in an approximate order by year regardless of series name.

Last Edit: 8 months 4 weeks ago by jkthemac.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Surfal666, Xelloss

Naming/differing series 8 months 3 weeks ago #47031

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
WHERE DO YOU LEARN THAT "CHEATS" YOU ALWAYS COME UP WITH?!! O_O>

jajajaja, That is a GREAT tip to know!!! I never knew it!

ups I laughed in spanish (?)
Last Edit: 8 months 3 weeks ago by Xelloss.

Naming/differing series 8 months 3 weeks ago #47041

• Magmadrag
  • Fresh Boarder
jkthemac wrote:
Magmadrag wrote:

I think what you are having difficulty with is you are not sorting by more than one data field. Presumably you are grouping by Series. If so return to the 'Grouped By' pull-down and holding down the shift key select Volume, this will then separate out each volume. My default view sorts by Volume first and then Series. This has the advantage of keeping everything in an approximate order by year regardless of series name.

In theory this idea is nice and would work - but as I am German and most of the German series are not part of the CVS yet, most of them even don't have a Volume :-/ I try to give them one myself and will see if this works.
Thanks for this idea, but like for so many "international" databases, most of this is US

Since I started to organize my huge comic collection, I always remembered the tool I use for my DVD-Collection named "DVD Profiler". It would be an interesting project to develop, when all users of the program could upload their data to a "global" database where othere users could agree (or not) if you send changes or completely new profiles. The only problem might bea unique identification-code for every series/issue. But I'll keep that in mind and possibly search for a way to figure that out

Naming/differing series 8 months 3 weeks ago #47042

• Magmadrag
  • Fresh Boarder
And another think to mention:

As so often the German version of a series is not available and it is a translation of USA or France or anywhere else, I use CVS to get the data by the original Series. And then the volume often simply is wrong as the german one was released one or more years later. And (especially for huge projects like Batman) it can't work as there were more than once several series with the same name released in the same year.... sorry, nice idea but even for sorting it doesn't work :-/
Time to create page: 0.448 seconds

Who's Online

We have 270 guests and 3 members online