Welcome, Guest
News and Announcements

TOPIC: On the topic of Spam, an important message

On the topic of Spam, an important message 2 weeks 1 day ago #62224

• Stonepaw
  • Thank you received: 280
Hi everyone,

It is with heavy heart that I have to put this topic up. I'm sure you have all noticed the huge influx of spam lately. There are some things that I have to say on this topic and how it will effect the board in the future.

Facts:
1. We have a spam problem
2. Somehow the account creation measures are failing to catch spam bots
3. There doesn't appear to be spam post filters/verification of any kind enabled on the forum
4. I appear to be the only moderator visiting even infrequently
5. The latest spam bots have been outputting several hundred posts each in a very short time period (more on why this is a problem later)

I am now and have been for a while extremely busy with University and work and rarely have to time visit the forum, much less read comics. I haven't even opened ComicRack in years or touched script development. I have been absent for months at a time and I know this is very much part of the problem here.

As a global moderator I am able to move and delete posts and threads and ban users. That's it. There is a button that should "delete all posts" from a user account but it only works if there is ~30 posts or less. This means for these latest spam bots I have to manually, in batches of 10 at a time, delete the topics. Not only that but I can't hide deleted topics from myself so to find more spam topics I have to visit every single page in every sub-forum individually. So far today I have spent over 4 hours cleaning up and still have 5000+ posts to deal with.

Without being able to configure anything in the forum software or appoint more moderators there is just not much I can do anymore. With cYo apparently abandoning this for his own reasons I just can't support moderating the huge amount of spam for an effectively dead forum.

I have so many memories of this community and it breaks my heart to say that I'm very sorry everyone, but I just can't do it anymore. cYo if you read this, I did what I could for as long as I could. If somehow the situation changes I'd be happy to come back but right now I just am unable to manage this by myself.

I recommend everyone check out the reddit page for comicrack, at least that will not have spam. I'll see if I can come up with a solution to archive the scripts/important posts onto the subreddit somehow.

With love, sadness and regret,

Stonepaw
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steffe, rmagere, Fuzzyluzzi, TheaArcaneTrickster, nianox

On the topic of Spam, an important message 1 week 3 days ago #62437

• rmagere
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32
Hi Stonepaw,

Thank yo so much for all your effort - you are completely right that over the last months spam has escalated beyond anything that any single person (without adequate tools) can support/managed.

I have been wondering (but given your post I know it is not the case) if it were possible to only leave the introduction forum open to new users and lock all others to existing / approved users to at least circumscribe the problem.

If there's a way to archive/save the posts on the reddit that would be great.

Once again - with heavy heart - thank you
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stonepaw

On the topic of Spam, an important message 1 week 3 days ago #62438

• Fuzzyluzzi
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 49
Thanks for all your work over the years Stonepaw. I myself haven't had much time in the past two years to read comics or follow along with what's happened here. It's sad to see it get like this. I believe there is also a Facebook Community, but I don't have the link handy.

On the topic of Spam, an important message 1 week 2 days ago #62441

• spynotebook
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
Yeah, it sucks but we all understand.

On the topic of Spam, an important message 3 days 9 hours ago #62450

• Oberon1464
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Stonepaw, thank you very much for your latest (cleaning)efforts and other contributions over the past years!
You've done all you could and we can only hope that cYo comes back eventually.

ComicRack is IMHO by far the best comic organizing software there is and I intend to use it forever even if I have to use a older windows version on a separate PC to keep it running!

All the best with your studies!
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds

Who's Online

We have 119 guests and no members online