Welcome, Guest
News and Announcements

TOPIC: Weekly Comic Releases 0.5

Weekly Comic Releases 0.5 7 years 8 months ago #6279

• Stonepaw
  • Thank you received: 268
Weekly Comic Releases is an add-on script for ComicRack that gets you the latest RSS feeds about the new comics coming out each week. It is a recommended ComicRack script.

Latest update: version 0.5 (released March 15, 2010)

Here are the instructions to use it:
    Install the script
    Restart
    Goto File -> Automation -> Weekly Comic Releases
    Filter the results as you wish by date, comic title, or publisher

New Features:
Now downloads covers when available
Check boxes for selecting comics. Doesn't do anything yet but it's ready for the export functions when I write them.

File Attachment:

File Name: WeeklyComi...es05.zip
File Size:49 KB

A question for the users: Would you prefer the exporting as cbz files, a text list or both?
Attachments:
Last Edit: 7 years 8 months ago by 600WPMPO. Reason: Correct Layout for RSS feed
The topic has been locked.

Re: Weekly Comic Releases 0.5 7 years 8 months ago #6290

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
Text list. Do you mean a .cbz of the thumbnails? I can't think of any other context where there would even be any functionality for a cbz...what do you do, then, if there's no thumbnail available?

(Either way, I still prefer a text list...honestly, the practical answer is 'both', though.)

Re: Weekly Comic Releases 0.5 7 years 8 months ago #6293

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Thank you Stonepaw for an improved script. Thanks also for making use of the news/announcement section.

My thoughts on the new script:
    In the RSS feed using the new script, there appear categories like games, T-shirts etc. which I think should not be there.

Only some thumbnails are there, probably as the comiclist site only provides a few select covers.Appears a bit disorganised. Any chance of improving that further? Any option for turning off covers altogether (for slow connections)?

Export functionality better as text list. Cbz only when, and if, we get all covers.

p.s. Stonepaw, I edited your post above in the format for correct layout for RSS feed which would be used for announcing the script on facebook, and some users' desire for a brief description of the script in the beginning. i hope you don't mind :)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 7 years 8 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: Weekly Comic Releases 0.5 7 years 8 months ago #6296

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
The thing crashes if there's no internet connection (or a proxy that does not allow access).

With the next release ComicRack has it's own internal web access method with caching and breaking of authentication barriers.

I will make that method available for scripts

Re: Weekly Comic Releases 0.5 7 years 8 months ago #6306

• Stonepaw
  • Thank you received: 268
@Shinrai:
In the other script thread there was an idea where you could have the new releases you wanted as filler comics in the library.

600WPMPO wrote:
In the RSS feed using the new script, there appear categories like games, T-shirts etc. which I think should not be there.
Hmm. It would be easy enough to exclude these. Does anyone else want these categories gone?
Only some thumbnails are there, probably as the comiclist site only provides a few select covers.Appears a bit disorganised. Any chance of improving that further? Any option for turning off covers altogether (for slow connections)?
It does look a bit disorganized but unless I or someone else can find a site that has more covers, that's what I have to work with. I'll put an option to turn off the covers in the next version for sure
Export functionality better as text list. Cbz only when, and if, we get all covers.
I'll do text list for sure. However as discussed in the script topic I could use your excellent publisher icons as fillers for the missing icons. Opinions on this?

And thanks for the formating corrections. Looks good. :)

cYo wrote:
The thing crashes if there's no internet connection (or a proxy that does not allow access).
Whoops. :blush: I didn't even think to check that. I'll fix it in the next release.
With the next release ComicRack has it's own internal web access method with caching and breaking of authentication barriers.
I will make that method available for scripts
That would be excellent, thanks :)

Re: Weekly Comic Releases 0.5 7 years 8 months ago #6307

• bkagan
  • Senior Boarder
As for turning off (filtering) non-comic listings, YES. I had mentioned this early on and would still like it very much. I find the games/t-shirts etc distracting.

As for the cover art, I think it has potential to become bloatware. I love the custom publisher art icons but I don't think I need one page comics books as place holders for new books I want.

Generating a text output list might be nice, if only to use as a check list.

As for crashing, I haven't had this problem but scraping the new week does take longer than what I would expect for something so light.

Still super happy with it so thanks again and keep up the good work.

Re:Weekly Comic Releases 0.5 7 years 8 months ago #6309

• wwwescape
  • Junior Boarder
Love this script! Would be great if this could work in the background while I'm reading some comics...

Re:Weekly Comic Releases 0.5 7 years 8 months ago #6317

• 600WPMPO
Here are a few suggestions for the next version. Obviously, how many of them would be implementable is best left to stonepaw, who is doing a great job at improving the script with each update.
    Option to filter out TPBs, HCs, SCs, second printings, Variant covers and similar other compilations, so that only the new issues could be displayed without duplication.

Option for displaying comics releasing next week. Comiclist has such an option.

Option to switch off comic covers for slower connections

Something on the lines of:

Other "new comic releases" RSS feeds which you may find handy:
PreviewsWorld
Comixology - has most covers too
Major spoilers

Please feel free to use my publisher icons in the script. If you want more, or would like to use series icons, please tell me, I'll happily make them for you.

Last Edit: 7 years 8 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re:Weekly Comic Releases 0.5 7 years 8 months ago #6347

• 600WPMPO
Here are comic book previews for this week.

If you people feel this is useful, I can make a separate thread/post each week. Tell me what do you think of this?

Time to create page: 0.246 seconds

Who's Online

We have 271 guests and 3 members online