Welcome, Guest
News and Announcements

TOPIC: WebComic Template for Comics.com

WebComic Template for Comics.com 7 years 7 months ago #6648

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557

All credit for the idea and the development for the WebComic Template goes to Stonepaw. Thanks to cYo for inventing the WebComic format and making a wonderful software that helps us get these ideas. I am merely posting the template and have made this tutorial for the benefit of inexperienced users (like me ;) ) who find it difficult to make a WebComic from scratch.

A WebComic Template can be easily edited to make the WebComic of your choice, which you can read (with daily updates) from within ComicRack. Here we present you with the WebComic Template for Comics.com, a website that contains a large number of daily comics.

Here is what you need for this:

1. The latest version of Comicrack
2. The Comics.cbw file attached at the end of this article.
3. A working Internet connection

How to make your own WebComic in 12 easy steps:

1. Goto Comics.com. Click at "All comics". You will get a dialog box which contains a lot of comics.
2. Choose the comic you want to create the Webcomic for. Click at the name of the comic. In this example, we choose "Herman". A new page for that comic will open.

3. Now we will choose the date from which we want our WebComic to begin. For this first click on the little calender icon in the first date column.
4. Select the year in the drop-down dialog box. If you want the comic from the very first strip published, click at the earliest date. If, for example. you want the comic from 2010, click at 2010.
5. Also click the month and the day in a similar manner.
6. Click at search. A new page will open, containing the comic from the date you provided. This will be the beginning comic strip for your WebComic.

7. Now we want the link to this page. Right-click at the comic strip on the page.
8. Click on "Copy link location"

9. Open the template Comics.cbw with any text editor you like. In this example we choose Notepad++. Your simple windows notepad will do as well. Replace the Image Url in the file with the link we copied in step 8.
10. To save the WebComic, goto File->Save as, and replace the name with that of your choice, in this case, Herman.cbw
11. Don't forget to choose "All types" in the "Save as type" dialog of your text editor.

12. Your WebComic is ready. Double-click to open it with ComicRack, and enjoy !

Now, get ya lazy bums in action, and post some WebComics :P

Would you like more WebComic Templates? Please tell us what you think about this.

File Attachment:

File Name: comics-20100330.cbw
File Size:0 KB
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 7 years 7 months ago by 600WPMPO.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: WebComic Template for Comics.com 7 years 7 months ago #6652

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
Like I said. Nice idea :)

Two points:

a) Why not put this into the wiki
b) IMHO should the template facilitate the variables construct to better separate the regex from the changeable part.

Re: WebComic Template for Comics.com 7 years 7 months ago #6654

• Buckleal
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 130GBs Deep
would it be possible to make a template for onemanga.com?
Growing every Wednesday.

Re: WebComic Template for Comics.com 7 years 7 months ago #6658

• 600WPMPO
cYo wrote:
a) Why not put this into the wiki
Yes, it would be great if this finds a place in the wiki. I have never edited a wikipedia entry, so if any member who feels comfortable with the wiki thing may copy/paste/edit to suit the wiki.

cYo wrote:
b) IMHO should the template facilitate the variables construct to better separate the regex from the changeable part.
I am so dumb that I have not understood one word of this sentence. :blush:
Maybe the developers will respond to this constructively..

Buckleal wrote:
Lets wait.. if Stonepaw gets a look at your request, I think he'll not disappoint you..

Re: WebComic Template for Comics.com 7 years 7 months ago #6660

• Stonepaw
  • Thank you received: 268
cYo wrote:
Good idea!

Do you guys think this works better?
You instead replace the URL in the variable value.
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<WebComic xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <Info>
  </Info>
  <Variables>
    <Variable Key="URL" Value="http://comics.com/peanuts/1950-10-02/" />
  </Variables>
  <Images>
    <Image Url="?{URL}">
      <Parts>
        <Part>src="(?&lt;link&gt;http://.*?\.cdn\.cloudfiles\.rackspacecloud\.com/dyn/str_strip/\d*?\.full\.gif)" border="\d*?" alt=</Part>
        <Part>Link_Next: '(?&lt;link&gt;/.*?/\d*?-\d*?-\d*?/)'</Part>
      </Parts>
    </Image>
  </Images>
</WebComic>

File Attachment:

File Name: comicstemplate.cbw
File Size:1 KB

Buckleal wrote:
I had thought about this. The problem is that onemanga.com is kinda in the grey area of legality as it hosts unauthorized translations of Japanese manga. Anybody have an opinion on this?

Re: WebComic Template for Comics.com 7 years 7 months ago #6664

• 600WPMPO
Stonepaw wrote:
cYo wrote:
Good idea!
Well, I tried it on the comic "9 chickweed lane" (attached), but could not see any difference from the earlier template as far as usage is concerned. However, if that is better from the developer's point of view, so be it. No problem eitherway.. :)

Stonepaw wrote:
Buckleal wrote:
I had thought about this. The problem is that onemanga.com is kinda in the grey area of legality as it hosts unauthorized translations of Japanese manga. Anybody have an opinion on this?
I don't see anything wrong in making the template.

File Attachment:

File Name: 9_chickweed_lane.cbw

Re: WebComic Template for Comics.com 7 years 7 months ago #6673

• Buckleal
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 130GBs Deep
600WPMPO wrote:
Stonepaw wrote:
Buckleal wrote:
I don't see anything wrong in making the template.

Thanks for your vote.

How about a template for Myspace Dark Horse Presents?
Growing every Wednesday.

Re:WebComic Template for Comics.com 7 years 7 months ago #6676

• quidam
  • Platinum Boarder
  • not for nom
  • Thank you received: 23
I'd gladly see template for onemanga or similar sites to read manga online. i don't use them much, but afaik, best quality of images have mangahut.com/ and www.mangatoshokan.com/ because they don't compress uploaded images that much. i compared sample file and on onemanga it's 90kb jpg and on mangahut and mangatoshokan that's 180kb png.

so if you're up to doing template i'd suggest one of those two sites just for quality reasons. but that's not really that important - if it's easier to create regex for onemanga, go for it. ;)

now, as for legal issues.

it's always complicated. the single fact that sites like onemanga exist and prosper says a lot. if authorities or copyright owners were really motivated to shut them down whole service would be long gone. as far as i know onemanga doesn't provide series that has been licensed in US and as soon as series is licensed they take it off their website. and that's fine for me and my sense of fairness.

scanlations have long history and i think we all benefit from them, publishers included. they contribute to increasing interest in manga. a lot of series would've never been licensed and published on the west if they weren't made popular earlier thanks to scanlations. in the most cases scanlation groups stop scanlating series and encourage fans to buy manga when it gets licensed. that's how it works for years and everybody is happy.

so i see nothing wrong in creating cbw template for site that provides scanlations online.

ps: if you want more insight into scanlations history and its impact read insidescanlation.com/

Re:WebComic Template for Comics.com 7 years 7 months ago #6677

• Stonepaw
  • Thank you received: 268
@quidam
Well said.

I'll take a look at those sites, but since I already have a onemanga.com template ready I'll post it.

Here you simply have to put the full url of any comic page into the variable value field. I've preloaded the template with one as an example.

Have fun!

File Attachment:

File Name: onemangatemplate.cbw

Re:WebComic Template for Comics.com 7 years 7 months ago #6678

• 600WPMPO
quidam wrote:
so i see nothing wrong in creating cbw template for site that provides scanlations online.
I guess that's a big yes.. and Stonepaw gives us our first WebManga template !! :) Thanks a lot.. i'll post the template in news/announcements with a tutorial (don't i love making them.. ;) ) later today..

Time to create page: 0.256 seconds

Who's Online

We have 241 guests and 3 members online