Welcome, Guest
News and Announcements

TOPIC: ComicRack 0.9.124

Re: ComicRack 0.9.124 7 years 4 months ago #7880

• Fain
  • Gold Boarder
  • Compulssive Ad Clicker
I'll try making a second shared library sharing only a small number of books and see how that goes.

I turned quality reduction back to default and no one seems able to connect still. Could be very well what Shinrai suspects with the volume of books I'm sharing in my library being part of the problem (if not entirely the problem)
Everytime you click an ad, a cYo gains its wings.
The topic has been locked.

Re: ComicRack 0.9.124 7 years 4 months ago #7881

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
I think I caught you changing settings because I'm connecting now. (Albeit EXTREMELY slowly, been waiting 4+ minutes for the library to populate...I forget if it was quite this slow before)

EDIT: Failed to retrieve right as I posted this, presumably you restarted the app haha.

DOUBLEEDIT: Connected to your small one in under 5 seconds. Looks like we've got some issues with large libraries (and this probably explains some issues we've had previously as well). I don't know what kind of data structure it's sending initially but hopefully cYo can do some optimizations on this, because plenty of people do have thousands of books.

TRIPLEEDIT: Opening a book is still slow as molasses. Maybe you just have lousy upstream? B)
Last Edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Shinrai.

Re: ComicRack 0.9.124 7 years 4 months ago #7882

• Fain
  • Gold Boarder
  • Compulssive Ad Clicker
I did :P

The small test library is up now as well. My friend was able to connect to it. So yeah, apparently volume in conjunction with the new quality control feature has done something :P Even with the settings at default.

Too many comics for the new code to process correctly and it times out before the server fully loads.

Re: ComicRack 0.9.124 7 years 4 months ago #7883

• Fain
  • Gold Boarder
  • Compulssive Ad Clicker
Took down the small test library and threw up one call Cerebus with 298 books in it.
I'm using quality controls on it 40% thumbnail and 80% page.

Friend is able to access it and view comics without issue.

Re: ComicRack 0.9.124 7 years 4 months ago #7885

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
The size of the library should not make any difference. I think there where other problems with your connection.

The only difference count of book makes is the transfer of the initial index and meta data (in the stats you see the size in the Library requests entry).
It has absolutely no effect when browsing or opening books.

Re: ComicRack 0.9.124 7 years 4 months ago #7887

• Fain
  • Gold Boarder
  • Compulssive Ad Clicker
Could possibly be something with my connection, but I just have no idea what it could be.

Right now the only correlation I've been able to draw for this problem is simple "how many books are there in the the shared library"

But like you're saying, that shouldn't make any difference. I figured you were using some sort of index transfer to populate the remote library's view, and as such a library with 100,000 books shouldn't honestly be all that different from a library with 1 book.

But this seems to be the case. The smaller sized library's I've been throwing up no one is having trouble connecting to, even with quality control setting turned on. The entire library with 15,000 books in it however, it appears no one is able to connect to at all.
Aside from the upgrade from .123 to .124 and turning on the quality control features on the main library, nothing has changed in my machines setup or network setup. I could be experiencing a connection problem of sorts, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Here is the full view of my server stats at the moment.

The one thing I noticed with the stats is the small library (Cerebus) has the Thumbnail and Pages Request fields populated with activity, whereas the larger library does not. It simply has Library Requests populated. However, there is a very large difference in the size of those requests. Mere kilobytes for Cerebus and slightly over 18 MB for my full library.

From that I would assume at some point while loading or downloading that, it is either timing out or otherwise running into an issue.
But I can also assume this isn't anything new. This is how shares worked prior, we just have a way to see the activity now. So... :whistle: I'm pretty stumped myself on what is up here.

Like you said, it may be a connection issue on my side, and during the initial library request I'm capping out my upload bandwidth and thus eventually the larger Library request fails, whereas the smaller one does not.

edit:
Got it working. My upload bandwidth was being capped out, hence on the larger Library request it eventually timed out (something that likely wouldn't happen if someone tried connecting to me, and had edited their .ini to extend timeouts past the default)
The smaller library didn't timeout, because there was a much smaller request to process and download and even with my upload nearly capped, it managed to get downloaded prior to the default timeout settings.
Last Edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Fain.

Re: ComicRack 0.9.124 7 years 4 months ago #7888

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
The big library stats you're describing show the problem. People are trying to get the index but can't. So no further thumbnail/page requests. Some timeout is happening yes.
The stats are not really "true" for the library requests in this case, as the stat entry for the library request is filled before the data is transfered back to the client (and stay there even if the client times out and not everything is transfered).

Thing is, nothing has changed from .123 to .124 concerning the initial index transfer.
Last Edit: 7 years 4 months ago by cYo.

Re: ComicRack 0.9.124 7 years 4 months ago #7889

• Fain
  • Gold Boarder
  • Compulssive Ad Clicker
Exactly what is going on. Edited in the fix in my last post.

My wife had torrents going, which was nearly capping out our upload limit on our connection, had her turn them off, and asked my friend to try connecting again, and bingo. It worked.

So this is an issue that isn't so much related to .124 as I'm almost 100% positive this issue would have occurred in the same situation in .123 and prior. (never saw experienced it before myself, but then again my wife never uses torrents much either, good timing :P)

I honestly see no real way to optimize this behavior either to "fix" this issue.
I'd just say on larger library's to warn people somewhere about making sure not to have their upload nearly capped. Where to put this information aside from right here I have no clue. Perhaps somewhere in the wiki. Perhaps as a warning when adding a share that is over some arbitrary limit in size.

The little icon in the bottom right corner now that represent server activity may even be able to serve as an indicator of a problem. The stats at the moment include a failed authentication entry, which I believe is related to passworded library's and logging attempts to connect to them and failing the password check.

Would it be possible to have a Warning icon appear for timeouts? Would ComicRack even be able to detect this? As the timeouts would be client and not serverside, how would the server even gather that clients are indeed timing out attempting to connect to it?
I dunno. Just brainstorming :D

Today has been a good day for the software I support. Aside from this issue I've really been enjoying this build. And I discovered Miranda has Facebook support now on the same day. :woohoo:

Re:ComicRack 0.9.124 7 years 4 months ago #7895

• quidam
  • Platinum Boarder
  • not for nom
  • Thank you received: 23
* NEW: Added scriptable comic info panels to the comic browser (HTML and coded UIs)

Looks promising. I hope someone will make useful script with it. Out of curiosity - is it possible to load webpage in this panel? I'm thinking about opening Web link form Comic Info Dialog.

* NEW: Served image quality settings for Shares.

I think it would be also good if Client could see this values. Maybe additional column in Open Remote Library? Am I understand this correctly - this setting also applies when I export remote library, or only while reading?
BTW: 'Page/Thumb Quality' - please, add this texts to translation package.

* CHANGE: If the eComic is remote, captions are displayed instead of filenames

What about folder path? I'm still able to add this column in List Layouts for Remote Libraries in .124

* CHANGE: Added shortcuts to stack buttons (Alt-C, Alt-N, Alt-P). Translators have to add them in their packages.

I'm able to navigate in Stacks with Alt+N and Alt+C but Alt+P doesn't work for me. Could someone confirm?

* CHANGE: Connecting to remote libraries is now handled in a progress dialog

Hm, I have some idea about handling various dialogs. I'll save new post for it. ;)

* BUGFIX: Open Next/Prev comic now correctly works (even with multiple libraries open)

That's probably not it, but I still can't open next comic if I switch to different SmartList in Browser in meantime. Couldn't ComicRack remember form what List file was opened and always load next file from the same List when asked?

Very good update overall. Thanks!
Last Edit: 7 years 4 months ago by quidam.

Re:ComicRack 0.9.124 7 years 4 months ago #7897

• Fain
  • Gold Boarder
  • Compulssive Ad Clicker
quidam wrote:
* NEW: Served image quality settings for Shares.

I think it would be also good if Client could see this values. Maybe additional column in Open Remote Library? Am I understand this correctly - this setting also applies when I export remote library, or only while reading?
BTW: 'Page/Thumb Quality' - please, add this texts to translation package.

It only seems to apply when reading. I ran some tests to insure this was the case, and the exported files were fully intact. The only difference is they were slightly larger due to the ComicInfo.xml being a couple kilobytes larger.
Didn't check why that was or what was added for that small increase.
Image files were untouched.
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds

Who's Online

We have 255 guests and one member online