Welcome, Guest
News and Announcements

TOPIC: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.23/24

Re:Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.23/24 7 years 5 months ago #8563

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 508
DouglasBubbletrousers wrote:
Well, if it's just going to overwrite my own ratings, I won't be using it myself. I carefully took the time to add those ratings and I don't want to lose them. So we'd need an "Other's Ratings" type field first. Also, (cYo, if you're listening) it would be better if that rating had a decimal system like comicvine's (4.8, 3.4, etc.)
Indeed, it would be helpful if whichever field I'm going to scrape the ratings into had a precision of 0.1.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.23/24 7 years 5 months ago #8565

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
So we need some kind of "Community Rating" field. Is this all?

Re:Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.23/24 7 years 5 months ago #8566

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
cYo wrote:
So we need some kind of "Community Rating" field. Is this all?
Yessir, cYo sir.. :)
something like this:

Any hope.... please don't say no.... :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 7 years 5 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re:Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.23/24 7 years 5 months ago #8716

• 600WPMPO
I've been using (misusing ?) the age ratings field for this purpose:

It would be great if we can get another metadata form field for this purpose, called something like "Community Ratings"

Re:Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.23/24 7 years 5 months ago #8719

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
Next version will have a revised rating system.

Re:Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.23/24 7 years 5 months ago #8722

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 109
Hey cbanack.

Do you use the last modification time/date value (the one the script puts in the tag field besides the CVDB tag) for any special reason?

If not, could you consider not changing it if no information was updated on the file? Because the file hash (the cbz's file hash) will be modified if you change just that time/date, and lets just say that for some other "reasons" we might not want the file hash to change that often. If some information on the file is updated, fine, something else has already changed so updating another field is not a problem. But when nothing changes, if the file could be left all alone would be great.

Let's just say scraping your whole library for updated information forces a re-hash of your whole library "on a random third party app", and that takes a truckload of time.

fK

Re:Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.23/24 7 years 5 months ago #8723

• 600WPMPO
cYo wrote:
Next version will have a revised rating system.
A step forward.. :) Thanks cYo..
Would you like a +1 karma boost ? Yes? here it is..

A small nit-picking though.. it appears that we can get the ratings for user as well as community at a one-point increment out of five. I don't think that would be useful..

Either it is a one-point increment for ratings out of ten (eg 3.2, 6.7, 9.3)

Or a five-point increment for rating out of five (eg. 3.5, 4. 4.5)

We'll like whatever is feasible, but the first one is much better as it gives you the ultimate ratings scale for once and for all.. any chance we have for that ?

Last Edit: 7 years 5 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re:Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.23/24 7 years 5 months ago #8737

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 508
forkicks wrote:
Do you use the last modification time/date value (the one the script puts in the tag field besides the CVDB tag) for any special reason?
Well, it's not really a "last modified" time, it's a "last scraped" time. As in, "the metadata in this comic is current as of this date". The scraper does not actually use that information for anything, it is only there for humans to look at.
If not, could you consider not changing it if no information was updated on the file? Because the file hash (the cbz's file hash) will be modified if you change just that time/date, and lets just say that for some other "reasons" we might not want the file hash to change that often.
Ah yes, I see the problem. Those unneeded changes will mess up automatic backup programs, like mozy, as well as any number of other apps. (One solution: you could just turn off the "notes" field in the scraper, and then it will never change that field at all--as long as you still have the "tags" field turned on, the scraper will still have access to the CVDB tag.)

There's a few ways I can see to address this problem, but before I pick one, I'd like to hear what you guys think about them:

1) I could change things the way you suggest, forkicks, which will alter the meaning of that timestamp a bit--it will become "last modified" instead of "last scraped".

2) I could add an option to control whether or not the "Notes" field includes the "last modified" timestamp or not.

3) I could flat-out remove that datestamp altogether, and only put the CVDB tag into the "Notes" field. The datestamp is only slightly useful information, and forkicks is right, the cost of having it in there is that mass-rescraping becomes rather inefficient.)

4) If cYo wants to add another (string) field to the Comic Info panel called "External ID" (or something like that), then I could just store the CVDB tag there, and stop scraping anything into the Notes or Tags field at all.

#4 is my favourite option, but depends on what cYo likes. Otherwise, I'm leaning toward #2 or #3, but I'd like to hear back from you guys about this...

Re:Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.23/24 7 years 5 months ago #8747

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 109
Hey cbanack

Thanks for looking into this.

The solution you suggested works fine for me. I had never considered turning off the notes because i assumed it would just write the same info into tags instead. If it doesnt, then it works for what i need it.

Of course, for a more definitive solution, your #4 solution seems to be the more natural fit - if for some reason, like feature creep, cYo doesn't agree, then an option to make writing the timestamp optional seems to be the more appropriate. I'm sure some people like having that timestamp around, so it would please both sides.

But again, that suggestion you made totally fixes this for my needs.

Thanks,
fK

Re:Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.23/24 7 years 5 months ago #8754

• Fain
  • Gold Boarder
  • Compulssive Ad Clicker
I'm all for #4 myself, for whatever reason this bought to mind this bit of information that I gathered from this post in Help.

This guy has apparently been developing a separate metadata format for eComics, and he includes in that format a way to track the last device/software to access the comic.
If cYo is currently unaware of it, he might want to make contact with the developer of this software to see about standarding how eComic metadata is stored and parsed, seeing as ComicRack is kind of the pioneer in that regard.
I'd hate to see a lot of forks for meta data emerge when a single concise format could serve just as well.

The #4 option reminded me of this "last used program" field this metadata provides.
Everytime you click an ad, a cYo gains its wings.
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds

Who's Online

We have 237 guests and one member online