Welcome, Guest
News and Announcements

TOPIC: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.23/24

Re:Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.23/24 7 years 3 months ago #8762

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
cbanack wrote:
There's a few ways I can see to address this problem, but before I pick one, I'd like to hear what you guys think about them:

1) I could change things the way you suggest, forkicks, which will alter the meaning of that timestamp a bit--it will become "last modified" instead of "last scraped".

2) I could add an option to control whether or not the "Notes" field includes the "last modified" timestamp or not.

3) I could flat-out remove that datestamp altogether, and only put the CVDB tag into the "Notes" field. The datestamp is only slightly useful information, and forkicks is right, the cost of having it in there is that mass-rescraping becomes rather inefficient.)

4) If cYo wants to add another (string) field to the Comic Info panel called "External ID" (or something like that), then I could just store the CVDB tag there, and stop scraping anything into the Notes or Tags field at all.

#4 is my favourite option, but depends on what cYo likes. Otherwise, I'm leaning toward #2 or #3, but I'd like to hear back from you guys about this...

Its #4.. second-best is #3
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.23/24 7 years 3 months ago #8771

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
I will not add #4. I'm in a constant fight against "field creep" :)

Re:Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.23/24 7 years 3 months ago #8780

• 600WPMPO
cYo wrote:
Awww... Fain.. look what you have done.. cYo is having the creep phobia.. :laugh:
Man, I love the creep.. why do people hate it ? :P

Re:Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.23/24 7 years 3 months ago #8797

• Fain
  • Gold Boarder
  • Compulssive Ad Clicker
Victory is mine! :laugh:

Creep and customization go a little hand in hand. cYo has always been good at maintaining a powerful feature set without too much bloat.

Seems the link I meant to have in the last post in this thread, didn't show up.

ComicBookInfo

I kind of like that this guy decided to use JSON for the formatting of the metadata, at the same time, standard .xml does just as good a job, and really, in all honesty, you shouldn't be mucking around inside a metadata file manually anyhow. Which is the area using JSON over .xml excels in, human readability.

I'm not sure what the naming structure for that metadata is, but perhaps adding by default that ComicRack doesn't delete this kind of metadata from files would be a good idea. If this format takes off (his Mac/iPhone comic software is fairly popular, and he is the only one besides cYo that I know of who puts metadata inside files) then making sure users of his software who try/also use ComicRack don't have to worry or have their metadata deleted could be a good thing.

To not completely derails here.
Solution #1 I think would be the best alternative to #4.
Last modified over last scraped doesn't seem like much of a sacrifice.
I'm sure a couple hyper neurotics will die a little inside if #1 is implemented tho.
Everytime you click an ad, a cYo gains its wings.

Re:Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.23/24 7 years 3 months ago #8798

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
How do you get the idea of using JSON for storing meta data? The only reason to use JSON is when writing web service consumers in javascript...

Just to state this here once and for all: I will not follow whatever formats some people cook up on some platforms :)
Let's still remember: Steven Jobs my think otherwise, but windows is till the 95% platform out there.

Re:Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.23/24 7 years 3 months ago #8800

• 600WPMPO
cYo wrote:
Just to state this here once and for all: I will not follow whatever formats some people cook up on some platforms :)
Let's still remember: Steven Jobs my think otherwise, but windows is till the 95% platform out there.
'nuff said B)

Re:Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.23/24 7 years 3 months ago #8804

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 503
cYo wrote:
OK. Resisting feature creep is one of the hallmarks of good software design, especially for open/free software, where everybody has their own pet feature request! :)

So now I'm choosing between options 1, 2 and 3. Anyone else who has an opinion about that, please feel free to chime in.
Last Edit: 7 years 3 months ago by cbanack. Reason: changed "open source" to "open/free"

Re:Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.23/24 7 years 3 months ago #8813

• 600WPMPO
A little off-topic query:

I'm going to format my computer in 2-3 days. I wish to retain all the CVS settings and cache and all (so that next time I don't have to scrape through 1700 issues of 200AD & 700 issues ofBatman !) ;)

What file / folder do I need to backup ?

I went to %APPDATA%\cYo\ComicRack\
Do I save and then restore this entire folder. Will it work ?

Re:Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.23/24 7 years 3 months ago #8814

• Stonepaw
  • Thank you received: 267
600WPMPO wrote:
What file / folder do I need to backup ?

I went to %APPDATA%\cYo\ComicRack\
Do I save and then restore this entire folder. Will it work ?
If you want to just restore the ComicVine cache you can copy the %APPDATA&\cYo\ComicRack\Scripts\Comic Vine Scraper folder. That contains everything related to the ComicVine script.

However, if you want to restore other scripts as well you might want to copy the entire %APPDATA%\cYo\ComicRack\ as that contains most scripts as well as the database and config files.

Re:Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.23/24 7 years 3 months ago #8815

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 503
600WPMPO wrote:
I'm going to format my computer in 2-3 days. I wish to retain all the CVS settings and cache and all (so that next time I don't have to scrape through 1700 issues of 200AD & 700 issues ofBatman !) ;)

Yup, just what Stonepaw said.

For the scraper, the three items in that directory that you'll want to save are:

1) the directory "localCache" and all its subfolders/files. This contains all your 2000 AD, Batman, Spiderman, etc.
2) the file "settings.dat", which contains your preferences (from the settings dialog).
3) the file "geometry.dat", which contains your window geometry (the size and locations of each of the scraper's windows.)

Once you install a fresh copy of comicrack and a fresh copy of the scraper, just copy any or all of those three items over and then restart comicrack. Or you could just copy the whole directory over, as Stonepaw suggests. I've never tried that, but it seems like it should work.
Last Edit: 7 years 3 months ago by cbanack.
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds

Who's Online

We have 214 guests and 7 members online