Welcome, Guest
News and Announcements

TOPIC: The ComicRack Manual (2nd edition)

Re:The ComicRack Manual (2nd edition) 9 years 1 week ago #8347

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 601
Okay.. here are the final additions / corrections expected:
    Section on Favorites window
    Individual sections for Thumbnails, tiles & details view
    Autoscrolling (thanks to quidam)
    Using Stacks layout
    Description of bundled scripts
    Description of Stars (thanks to DouglasBubbletrousers' reply to Christophrawr's query)
    link to the Comic Vine Scraper project page (cbanack's request)
    Multiple eComic Information Dialog (quidam's request)
    Typographical errors (thanks to stonepaw... +1 karma for extensive proofreading !!)
    Removing tags
    Drag and drop
    Backup database(thanks to lanzajr26)
    Page numeration changes (thanks to fain)
    Getting Background Textures from the web (thanks to quidam)
    Page layout errors (thanks to me !)

Currently working on them.. lets see if I finish this & repack the manual for release in 4-5 days.. wish me luck :lol:
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 9 years 1 week ago by 600WPMPO.
The topic has been locked.

Re:The ComicRack Manual (2nd edition) 9 years 1 week ago #8348

• Stonepaw
  • Thank you received: 289
600WPMPO wrote:
I used a number of comic book characters on the covers for every chapter. So, did you like it ?

The one for Chapter 7 is perfect!

Re:The ComicRack Manual (2nd edition) 9 years 1 week ago #8349

• 600WPMPO
Stonepaw wrote:
600WPMPO wrote:
I used a number of comic book characters on the covers for every chapter. So, did you like it ?

The one for Chapter 7 is perfect!

:laugh: freakin' deadpool there.. what does he think he's doing?

Re:The ComicRack Manual (2nd edition) 9 years 1 week ago #8356

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 682
I would like to see the network chapter clearer split into two parts: the zero config local LAN sharing and the internet sharing. For LAN sharing you do not need about ports and stuff.

Just for you consideration.

Re:The ComicRack Manual (2nd edition) 9 years 1 week ago #8367

• 600WPMPO
cYo wrote:
I would like to see the network chapter clearer split into two parts: the zero config local LAN sharing and the internet sharing. For LAN sharing you do not need about ports and stuff.
Yes that's the weakest chapter.
If sharing over the Internet: If the computer sharing the library is behind a router, you will need to go to the Router configuration, to a section called “Port Forwarding” (or similar, varies across brands), and create a new port forwarding for the port 7612 TCP, so that the External port 7612 is forwarded to the IP of the computer sharing the library. Check out portforward.com for guides on how to forward a port in many different brands of routers. To connect to this shared library, open ComicRack, File menu, “Open Remote Library…” and enter the external ip address of the router. If the port forward is done correctly, you should see a new tab appear with the shared library name
This applies when we are sharing over the internet from behind a router.

I would request some screenshots of CR's network sharing features in this scenario.

Other than this, what is in the manual is sharing over the internet without routers?

If you are using it over the LAN, you do not need passwords & stuff ? Any screenshots differing from the ones we already have ?

Re:The ComicRack Manual (2nd edition) 9 years 1 week ago #8375

• cYo
without router you only have to make sure your firewall is open. Same is for local sharing.

One small nitpicking: the yellow ribbon is the current page open in the eComic. Green is the last page read.

Re:The ComicRack Manual (2nd edition) 9 years 1 week ago #8378

• quidam
  • Platinum Boarder
  • not for nom
  • Thank you received: 23
I'm half though your manual. It's really impressive job you've done there. Considering the huge amount of information I have very little to add:

- Add the creation date of manual - people would like know how old it is.

- I would change the order and put "How to Use this Manual" before "Contents".

- page 17. System Requirements. "Softwares: Dot NET framework 4.0 is required to run ComicRack™"

You can add that .NET 4.0 is for 0.9.122 and above. You can also mention optional installation of GhostScript for reading full PDFs (not just bunch of images packed in pdf format - this can be viewed in CR without GhostScript, AFAIK).
Also next version will support DjVu format and, as cYo mentioned, installing additional component (DjVuLibre) is going to be required for this.

- page 26. Open an eComic
We can also open rar/zip archive by right click -> open with... and by drag&drop file from windows explorer to the Reader area of ComicRack (but not into the Library Browser).

- page 26. Start a new library. "The search action logo..." - I would say search/scan icon ;]

- page 30: image of docking grips - you may add another indicator here:

also we have now Info Panels by default docked at the bottom (but it can be changed to the right

- page 31 " It should be noted that the Pages Browser does not have a sidebar toolbar, " - just sidebar is enough. or "sidebar panel" if you like.

- page 31 "The Browser Tab Bar contains ..." You may also mention that (Smart)List/Folder can be opened in new tab. Also shared libraries are showed here. And note that scrolling anywhere over tab bar switches its tabs. Same goes for Reader Tab Bar and Toolbar (this you can mention on page 56)

- page 31 Browser/Sidebar Toolbar - "the sidebar toolbar contains previous / next arrows for navigating through the sidebar files."
change "files" to "lists/folders"

- page 32 - ComicRack™ Status Bar - you have to update the screenshot - we have now Statistics Icon there.

"followed by the current page number of the open eComic and the name of the opened eComic" - that's comic Caption, not Name.

- page 46 - "Clicking the Extender on the left border of the Reader window" - Extender --> docking grip ;]
- page 48 - also Extender --> docking grip
- page 49 - Clicking the Extender on the upper border...

- page 50 - Using the Search Box - I would change the name to Quick Search (that's how it's named in Preferences). Also you can mention about this filters:

- page 56 - "Tab Bar displays the name and few details of the currently open eComic.". It displays eComic Caption (by default it's ComicCaptionFormat = [{format} ][{series}][ - {title}][ {volume}][ #{number}][ ({year}[/{month}])] )

- page 62 - you may want to warn users that enabling hardware filters may often blur displayed images. also explanation about "flowing mouse scrolling" would be nice, as most users won't have the idea what's it about. see this for info: comicrack.cyolito.com/user-forum/8-help/...wing-mouse-scrolling

- page 63 Keyboard Map - you may mention about touch gestures and multi-touch support. ;]

- page 65 - "With the Blend  animation  while  fast paging option checked, when you keep the page down shortcut pushed, it disables any page transition effect." Nah, it's exactly opposite. If it's checked animation effect is always turned on, no matter how fast you try to switch through pages.

"You can set auto-bookmarking on by choosing to open the eComic at the page where it was closed." better not say 'auto-bookmarking'. it may be misleading as bookmarks mean something different in CR.

"True right to left reading" - you may explain that with this option Navigation overlay displays thumbnails in reversed order and also Keyboard Left/Right cursors are reversed - Left=Next, Right=Previous

"each list has its own QuickSearch settings" - this option needs some explanation. also "Show Search Links" could use some screenshot with example.

- page 66 - Scripts. Add that CR needs to be restarted to activate installed script. Also say that you can install script by dragging zip or .py file into Preferences->Scripts->Script Packages area. And write something about new .crplugin extension - we can install script directly form windows explorer (or drag and drop to main window)

- page 69 - List Layouts. you can add some schreenshot of context menu when right-clicking Column:

and about possibility of copying/pasting layouts:

- page 70 - Workspaces.

I would explain people more:
A workspace contains the settings for:
• Window Layouts - window state (maximized or not, fullscreen), panels state, position and arrangement (for example browser docking mode, active browser tab, minimal user interface, etc.)
• List Layouts - see the chapter above ;]
• Comic Display Layout - page layout options:

• Comic Display Settings - everything under F9 dialog.

that's it for now. goodnight! ;]
Last Edit: 9 years 1 week ago by 600WPMPO. Reason: images inlined

Re:The ComicRack Manual (2nd edition) 9 years 1 week ago #8379

• cYo
The next version will include DjVu support and will NOT require a DJVU install. I played around and could strip down the whole djvu install to about 5 files required by ComicRack to display the documents (adds about 500k to the installer).

The blur with hardware acceleration turned on is only an issue if you disable software filter (as this runs a second pass to sharpen the hardware accelerated display up).

Ah, its so much easier to proof read proof readings :)

Re:The ComicRack Manual (2nd edition) 9 years 1 week ago #8382

• 600WPMPO
quidam wrote:
I'm half though your manual. It's really impressive job you've done there. Considering the huge amount of information I have very little to add:
that's it for now. goodnight! ;]
Almost all errors are correctly pointed out. I'll correct them.. However, some issues I would like to discuss..
Add the creation date of manual - people would like know how old it is.
Isn't the date in the preface (below my ugly avatar) ?

"each list has its own QuickSearch settings" - this option needs some explanation. also "Show Search Links" could use some screenshot with example.
I still don't get this completely.. please explain

And write something about new .crplugin extension - we can install script directly form windows explorer (or drag and drop to main window)
If we have a script with that plugin, I'll be most happy to add it with screenshots & all..

- page 26. Start a new library. "The search action logo..." - I would say search/scan icon ;]
That's basically the Pending background tasks indicator. I have already renamed it

also we have now Info Panels by default docked at the bottom (but it can be changed to the right
Ok.. I'll add all I can about the Info Panel !! I left it coz I felt it was still experimental..

- page 32 - ComicRack™ Status Bar - you have to update the screenshot - we have now Statistics Icon there
No sir.. can't see no statistics there.. maybe they appaer while using remote libraries ? a screenshot would be helpful

- page 50 - Using the Search Box - I would change the name to Quick Search
Yes, my bad..

- page 63 Keyboard Map - you may mention about touch gestures and multi-touch support.
I have no idea about this..any help would be most appreciated..

- page 69 - List Layouts...copying/pasting layouts:
How do we paste layouts ?

A great report by quidam.. +1 karma follows !

Last Edit: 9 years 1 week ago by 600WPMPO.

Re:The ComicRack Manual (2nd edition) 9 years 1 week ago #8389

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 562
600WPMPO wrote:
quidam wrote:
And write something about new .crplugin extension - we can install script directly form windows explorer (or drag and drop to main window)
If we have a script with that plugin, I'll be most happy to add it with screenshots & all..
The next version of Comic Vine Scraper will definitely use the .crplugin extension.

Actually, the current version of CVS should work with .crplugins, too. Just rename the "ComicVineScraper-1.0.24.zip" file to "ComicVineScraper-1.0.24.crplugin" if you want to try it out and get some screenshots.

I haven't renamed the official download yet because there were/still are a couple minor bugs in ComicRack related to how crplugin's are handled.
Time to create page: 0.510 seconds

Who's Online

We have 184 guests and one member online