News and Announcements
  • Page:

TOPIC: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.25

Re:Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.25 7 years 4 months ago #8572

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 503
perezmu wrote:
When I skip a comic because the series is not in Comicvine, the next comics of the same series are not skipped... ? and I have to skip them one by one... I think previous versions did not go like this, or am I wrong?

I'm not sure what the older versions of the scraper did (before I took over), but currently the skip button is definitely intended to mean "skip this issue", not "skip all issues that have the same series name as this issue". If there is a general desire in the community to have it behave the other way, I would consider changing it.

To be honest, I don't find that I need to use the Skip button that often--usually by the time I get around to scraping my own comics, they are pretty much all added to ComicVine anyhow.

Do you know about the CVDBSKIP tag? If you're finding that you want to skip a large number of comics whenever your rescrape your whole collection, that might help a bit.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.25 7 years 4 months ago #8573

cbanack wrote:
perezmu wrote:
I'm not sure what the older versions of the scraper did (before I took over), but currently the skip button is definitely intended to mean "skip this issue", not "skip all issues that have the same series name as this issue". If there is a general desire in the community to have it behave the other way, I would consider changing it.

A good example of when this problematic is Amazing Spider-Man v2. CV lists all those issues as continuations of v1 (~40-50 issues). So when the scraper comes across them, it raises the match issue dialogue every time.

I think two buttons, one for "Skip Issue" and one for "Skip remainder of series" might work, both on the series macth form and the issue match form

Re:Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.25 7 years 4 months ago #8574

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
DouglasBubbletrousers wrote:
A good example of when this problematic is Amazing Spider-Man v2. CV lists all those issues as continuations of v1 (~40-50 issues). So when the scraper comes across them, it raises the match issue dialogue every time.

I think two buttons, one for "Skip Issue" and one for "Skip remainder of series" might work, both on the series macth form and the issue match form

I considered having two 'skip' buttons, but I decided that I don't want to make have everyone look at (and figure out) an extra button, for a feature that is really only marginally useful. (It's really not that hard to simply cancel the scrape and deselect the offending issues if you really do have an entire series that you've decided don't want to scrape!)
Last Edit: 7 years 4 months ago by cbanack.

Re:Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.25 7 years 4 months ago #8575

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
cbanack wrote:
Do you know about the CVDBSKIP tag? If you're finding that you want to skip a large number of comics whenever your rescrape your whole collection, that might help a bit.

This usually happens to me or when a Series is not in CV or when the name of a series is misspelled... of course, I can always cancel and resume scraping... :P

Re:Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.25 7 years 4 months ago #8576

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
DouglasBubbletrousers wrote:
What do you think of a "Always Show Settings" option? I'm always a fan of fewer clicks :)

I would consider it, of course, especially if it's something that a lot of people want.

But in my years as a software developer (and particularly as a software designer), I've learned that many people who are already using your software don't like it when you change things, even if you make a change for the better. :P So I'm always cautious when I see a feature request for "a setting to change things back to the way they were", especially when it arrives the day after a new release.

That doesn't mean I won't consider adding a setting like that; I'd just like to know that the setting is genuinely needed (by more than just one or two people), and that the people who are asking for it have have tried living without it for a while first. (That way I know they aren't just temporarily annoyed because its different than what they're used to.)

Re:Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.25 7 years 4 months ago #8577

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
perezmu wrote:
cbanack wrote:

This usually happens to me or when a Series is not in CV or when the name of a series is misspelled... of course, I can always cancel and resume scraping... :P

I've been thinking about trying to make it so that you can change the behaviour of certain dialog buttons with the "Control" key...so, for example, if you hold down Control, the "Skip" button becomes "Skip All". It's sort of a secret feature then--handy for people who know about it, but not cluttering up the dialog or confusing new users who really don't need it.

Re:Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.25 7 years 4 months ago #8578

cbanack wrote:
But in my years as a software developer (and particularly as a software designer), I've learned that many people who are already using your software don't like it when you change things, even if you make a change for the better. :P So I'm always cautious when I see a feature request for "a setting to change things back to the way they were", especially when it arrives the day after a new release.

Well, a) I'm not sure "better" is absolute in this case :) and b) note that I'm not asking to change it back altogether, just give an option to change it back for those that want it. I definitely agree with you that hiding the settings makes it easier for new, low-intensity users, so I think you've done some great stuff there. But, if I may put some constructive criticism, I think you have a tendency to write solely to those users, who I think are a small percentage of the people who use this script. I really feel most of the users are savvy enough to understand what settings do what (especially since you've made the scraper so user-friendly), and I think you may be losing some major points with the so-called advanced users.

I don't mean any offense, I really do mean that constructively. You do good work (for nothing but thank yous), and I'm very happy for all your efforts. If you don't think this is where you want to take the software, that's cool, I can work around it. But I think you could stand to do a little more research into your user-base as I suspect we're smarter on average than you think :).

Re:Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.25 7 years 4 months ago #8579

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
Fain wrote:
In the past when switching over to newer versions I noticed the "cache" for prescraped series always disappeared for whatever reason, not wanting to recache large series I end up scraping often (2000AD! damn your nearly 2000 issues!).

:laugh: Yes, I ran into that particular series, too. You can avoid this problem by NOT uninstalling the previous version of the scraper before you install the new version. When you uninstall, ComicRack wipes out all of the data associated with your script...but if you just upgrade (i.e. install the new version overtop of the old version) then this shouldn't happen.
And second would be the changes to the way .25 appears to handle volume.
It's back to putting in volume as v1995 and whatnot? No way to retain to current volume code?
Yeah, ComicVine has removed the "vol" and "volume" text from comic book series names, except for a (small number) of comics where the official name contains those words.

The vast majority of comics (especially mainstream ones) do not include "volume" in their official title, so that means there's no longer any volume information for the scraper to work with. In other words, because of the ComicVine change, those 'volume' features are broken now, and there's nothing I can do to fix them. :(

There was some discussion of this issue it in this thread.

If you don't like the ComicVine-style volume numbers (V2010, V1967, etc), you can turn off the "volume" field in the Settings dialog. Then the scraper will leave the volume field alone, which allows you to at least set the volume number for an entire series all at once using ComicRack's mass editing feature. That's what I do.

Re:Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.25 7 years 4 months ago #8580

• RevQuixo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
Fain wrote:
the volume thing I found odd. I've yet to switch over to .25 for two reasons
In the past when switching over to newer versions I noticed the "cache" for prescraped series always disappeared for whatever reason, not wanting to recache large series I end up scraping often (2000AD! damn your nearly 2000 issues!).

And second would be the changes to the way .25 appears to handle volume.
It's back to putting in volume as v1995 and whatnot? No way to retain to current volume code? I'm reading here that ComicVine changed how volume is handled? I had no less than 4 series today with vol. # in their series title. If .25 would fail to scrap that off and plop the vol. # in the volume field, hesitant to upgrade.
cYo's volume fixing script would solve that I guess, just it's just one more step.

I'll get around to trying out .25 at some point, I just want to know what exactly happened with the change in volume handling.

In regards to point 1 This should not happen if you install the scraper over the previous install. Do not uninstall the old version first as this deleted the cache.

In regards to point 2: comicrack.cyolito.com/user-forum/32-news...mit=10&start=10#8240

ComicVine really does seem to be systematically purging out the volume stuff..they just are a little scattershot about maintaining their own policies with everyone constantly editting the titles. Most if not all DC & Marvel volume indications were gone last I checked.

Edit: I really need to click refresh before posting :P
Last Edit: 7 years 4 months ago by RevQuixo.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds

Who's Online

We have 207 guests and 5 members online