Welcome, Guest
News and Announcements

TOPIC: The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition)

The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 7 years 4 months ago #8648

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
The ComicRack Manual 3rd edition is now officially released!

Format: pdf

No of pages: 150

Size: 35.05 MB

“Luck is what you have left over after you give 100 percent”. Well, if that is true, I sure am lucky. After giving my 100 percent for the second edition a month back, I thought that I neither had any content left to explain, nor any improvements to perform (considering the absolute lack of skill in my persona). But I was wrong, and here we are with the 3rd edition of the manual in less than two months!

The second edition of our manual got an unprecedented response. Our team and all the readers were nice enough to ignore the mistakes (both technical & factual) and appreciate the positives. Soon after the euphoria subsided, constructive suggestions started coming in, and I began planning for a ‘revised second edition’. As usual, Stonepaw was the proof-reader, and quidam the editor.

From a few minor typographical errors and some features that I had missed, the change log began growing everyday to an extent that I had to add about 25 pages to the last edition. Almost every chapter had some new section added. Lists were allotted their own chapter. All this was reason enough to release this edition of the manual as the third edition, and not as a revised second edition. While the second edition was a radical change from the first one, this third edition builds on the successful second edition, continuing the ‘teach yourself visually’ layout.

Features that were missing in the last edition have been added. These include sections on multiple eComic information dialog, autoscrolling, backup database, info panel, & command switches. The scripts chapter has also undergone a number of changes; installation of scripts (including crplugin scripts) is clearly explained, description of bundled scripts has been added, the section on comic vine scraper has been updated in accordance with the latest v1.0.25, and the comic vine scraper project page also gets a mention. The other chapter that has been restructured is the network sharing chapter. The section on ‘enabling network sharing’ was, honestly speaking, a rushed-up job in the last edition, and has been accordingly rewritten. The lists section, as mentioned earlier, has been allotted its own (well-deserved) chapter. Individual sections for browser views, favorites window, stacks layout, drag & drop, installing ghostscript, duplicate current list and copying / pasting list layouts have been added. A large number of other minor updates are there.

Hopefully, this edition will also be received well by the ComicRack™ community. I have tried my best (again!) to keep the manual as complete & error-free as possible. Please do give your suggestions to improve the manual further. However, I wish I don’t get lucky very soon again!

Revised 3rd Edition (released 04-Jul-2010)
Here is the revised 3rd edition.. proof-reads courtesy Stonepaw, and a last final read by myself ;)

This is just a revision, in which we have taken care of all typographical errors ( an "a" here, a period there), some technical mistakes, pdf page layout errors, and some other similar minor issues. So, you won't find a difference between the initial third edition and this revised edition, till you explicitly look for changes.

I hope that this would be the most error-free edition of the manual yet..

If cYo doesn't turn ComicRack on its head in the near-future, I intend to keep this edition of the manual here for a long time. I'll keep on accumulating the changes as they are introduced in the coming builds of ComicRack, and when they are sufficient enough, the new edition will be released. I hope a 6-monthly edition cycle would be just fine..

Thank you all for your support.

How can you help the ComicRack Manual Project:

Please download the manual and give it a read. Please point out any errors and I'll try my best to rectify them in the next update. If you dislike anything in the manual (or the whole of it), please feel free to give constructive criticism. In case you like it, do give me some good karma :)

I would also request all the active users to redirect new users' queries in the help section to the manual. (if, obviously, the manual already has what they want to know ;-))
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 7 years 2 weeks ago by 600WPMPO.
The topic has been locked.

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 7 years 4 months ago #8649

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
So many thanks, again!

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 7 years 4 months ago #8650

• {Oo}
  • Platinum Boarder
  • The Chewie is a lie !
  • Thank you received: 41
I hate you 600, you know that :blush: ? I'm gonna have to read it again... :laugh:

Nice job, as always :woohoo:
Working on re-uploading the FR manuals.

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 7 years 4 months ago #8651

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 109
Impressive work! Definitly a "must read" for all the people with problems or those new to CR.

For a (future) version 4, i would simply suggest moving away from images/names of potentially problematic copyright holders - one never knows if they wake up on the wrong foot and decide to get cranky about anything.

fK

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 7 years 4 months ago #8654

• 600WPMPO
forkicks wrote:
For a (future) version 4, i would simply suggest moving away from images/names of potentially problematic copyright holders - one never knows if they wake up on the wrong foot and decide to get cranky about anything.
You are just getting over-cautious. I don't think there is going to be any problem ever.

I have made a thread with my opinion on this matter here: ComicRack Manual & Copyright Infringements. Other members can also share their opinion on this issue there..

Thanks to perezmu and forkicks for liking the manual..

And {Oo}, I must say you are a really charming person. Thanks for always bringing a smile on my face.. :)

Last Edit: 7 years 4 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 7 years 4 months ago #8656

• Stonepaw
  • Thank you received: 268
Once again you have amazed me, 600WPMPO. Another fine work! +1

I'll read it over and send you my report. It might take a couple of days though, this is huge!
Last Edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Stonepaw.

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 7 years 4 months ago #8657

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 508
Great job as usual! +1 karma for you

Also, thanks for including a link to the Comic Vine Scraper project page in there.

One very minor error I found while skimming through:

On page 100, bullet point 3, it says "Clicking Skip omits the particular series from the scrape and moves on to the next in queue."

It should read: "Clicking Skip omits the particular issue from the scrape and moves on to the next in queue."

There's been some talk about whether I should change the script to behave the way you've currently described it (i.e. make the skip button skip all issues in the current series instead of just the currently displayed issue). But nothing like that has been implemented, so for now the scraper only skips one issue at a time.

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 7 years 4 months ago #8659

• 600WPMPO
cbanack wrote:
On page 100, bullet point 3, it says "Clicking Skip omits the particular series from the scrape and moves on to the next in queue."
It should read: "Clicking Skip omits the particular issue from the scrape and moves on to the next in queue."
:ohmy: oops.. my bad.. noted to be corrected in the revised 3rd edition..

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 7 years 4 months ago #8704

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
Sorry for not commenting earlier. As already said: this is amazing work. Next release of ComicRack will have ways of using your manual as context sensitive help.

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 7 years 4 months ago #8728

• 600WPMPO
cYo wrote:
As already said: this is amazing work. Next release of ComicRack will have ways of using your manual as context sensitive help.
Thanks for that.. :)

Stonepaw has sent me a bunch of corrections for the first 70 pages o the manual, and is likely to send the latter half soon. If the next version is not releasing this Sunday, and if stoney sends the corrections soon, may I release a revised third edition in 5-6days ?

Last Edit: 7 years 4 months ago by 600WPMPO.
Time to create page: 0.502 seconds

Who's Online

We have 186 guests and 3 members online