Saturday October 25 , 2014
Text Size

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
News and Announcements

TOPIC: The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition)

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 4 years 1 month ago #9610

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 329
Alan Scott wrote:
@ 600WPMPO - Sure, I'd have no problem with doing that (copy/paste to wiki). It'll be another month or two, to complete said reno. It would be worth the effort.
I think this is a great idea, and I'm happy that you are considering doing it.

A wiki is, to most users, no different than a regular webpage, which can make it much more accessible than a pdf or djvu file (which requires a separate program or plugin to read).

Some other advantages of a webpage format:

-- Google will index it, so people who are googling around for comic readers will bump into it, and perhaps end up discovering ComicRack.

-- It's simple and easy for people to bookmark specific pages in their browser, or to send links to each other (for example, in the forum, if someone asks a question, the answer could include a link to the relevant section of the manual.)

Another interesting possibility: the tool that is currently being used to write the manual right now may actually have an "export to html" feature that allows it to automatically generate a web version of the manual, with all of the advantages I just mentioned.

In that case, the html version of the manual could just be uploaded somewhere (cyolito.com?) after each new release--no need to copy and paste the whole thing into a wiki by hand each time!

Just a few thoughts. :)
Comic Vine Scraper: latest version here, bugs and suggestions here.
Last Edit: 4 years 1 month ago by cbanack.
The topic has been locked.

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 4 years 1 month ago #9615

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 478
cbanack wrote:
..the tool that is currently being used to write the manual write now may actually have an "export to html" feature that allows it to automatically generate a web version of the manual, with all of the advantages I just mentioned.
Yeah, cYo and I had considered all these possibilities. I have used Adobe InDesign CS3 to make the manual. While it is a gem of a program, the "export to html" function in InDesign is a genuine crap.

B) For your eyes only, here is my PM to cYo (dated 13 June 2010) regarding this:

600WPMPO wrote:
Message to cYo
13 June 2010, 13:34

....Html export didn't turn out well.
Infact, direct conversion to html in Indesign is pathetic (what was adobe thinking? :angry: )
Sending to fireworks & then to dreamweaver is the only way, but its not that simple & quick and would take a novice like me months to complete the manual.So, I guess, we'll have the manual for download/offline viewing and the wiki for online help.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 4 years 1 month ago #9732

• lanzajr26
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
After a few months away from the forum, I came back today and downloaded the manual. What an exceptional document, I found quite a few tips and tricks I didn't know even after using the program for several year. Thank you, outstanding job!

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 4 years 1 month ago #9785

• 600WPMPO
So, gentlemen..

I have finally gathered sufficient courage to revise the ComicRack manual. Hopefully, the 4th edition will be here on October 10th, 2010 (coinciding with Ubuntu 10.10) ;-)

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 4 years 1 month ago #9787

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 58
600WPMPO wrote:
So, gentlemen..

I have finally gathered sufficient courage to revise the ComicRack manual. Hopefully, the 4th edition will be here on October 10th, 2010 (coinciding with Ubuntu 10.10) ;-)

Awesome!!!!!!!!!

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 4 years 1 month ago #9900

• Stonepaw
  • Thank you received: 237
600WPMPO wrote:
So, gentlemen..

Excellent! I can't wait to read the new version! :)

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 4 years 1 month ago #10100

• Yaspis
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Deranged but fun.
Piping up just to tell you that the link for the revised manual has expired - RapidShare claims that the file's been taken down for not being downloaded/used often enough. (Go figure.) Any danger of an alternative download?
Walk briskly and mumble a lot.

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 4 years 1 month ago #10103

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 628
The manual is now hosted locally here on this server.

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 4 years 1 month ago #10105

• Yaspis
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Deranged but fun.
Thanks for redirecting me... I was being silly and looking for the updated and uploaded manual in vain under the "Documentation" header, not in the "Documentation" sub-menu for the "Downloads" header. (See, kids, this is what happens to your brain when you don't get enough sleep.)
Walk briskly and mumble a lot.

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 4 years 1 month ago #10109

• 600WPMPO
Yaspis wrote:
Piping up just to tell you that the link for the revised manual has expired - RapidShare claims that the file's been taken down for not being downloaded/used often enough. (Go figure.) Any danger of an alternative download?
Yes, you are right. Its not there on rapidshare and hotfile. But, other links are working. So, you can download from megaupload / depositfiles / zshare & others. That was why I chose multiupload. B)

cYo wrote:
The manual is now hosted locally here on this server.
The manual hosted locally under the download link is a DJVu file, while the "original" manual (on multiupload) is a pdf file. The pdf version is much better, high quality & has a large number of hyperlinks in it. All this is missing in the DJVu file. On the other hand, the DJVu file is quite smaller in size. So, you may choose your pick. ;)

Last Edit: 4 years 1 month ago by 600WPMPO.
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds

Who's Online

We have 144 guests online

PIM

You are not logged in.