Welcome, Guest
News and Announcements

TOPIC: The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition)

The ComicRack Manual (Revised 3rd edition) 7 years 3 months ago #8831

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Here is the revised 3rd edition.. proof-reads courtesy Stonepaw, and a last final read by myself ;)

The link in the first post has also been updated. This is just a revision, in which we have taken care of all typographical errors ( an "a" here, a period there), some technical mistakes, pdf page layout errors, and some other similar minor issues. So, you won't find a difference between the initial third edition and this revised edition, till you explicitly look for changes.

I hope that this would be the most error-free edition of the manual yet..

If cYo doesn't turn ComicRack on its head in the near-future, I intend to keep this edition of the manual here for a long time. I'll keep on accumulating the changes as they are introduced in the coming builds of ComicRack, and when they are sufficient enough, the new edition will be released. I hope a 6-monthly edition cycle would be just fine..

Thank you all for your support.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
The topic has been locked.

Re:The ComicRack Manual (Revised 3rd edition) 7 years 3 months ago #8838

On first glance.. it looks even better.. Great work on this!

I'll work my way through this over the next week or so!

Is this included in the ComicRack download itself? I think it should be.. it's a must for the noobs! (and forgetful souls like me!)

Cheers

PP

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 7 years 3 months ago #8840

• {Oo}
  • Platinum Boarder
  • The Chewie is a lie !
  • Thank you received: 41
Since the full size manual is about 30Mo and the CR installer is around 5Mo, it won't be included. Maybe a "light" version will be but cYo said that he'd implement lots of things redirecting to the manual so even the people that aren't coming by here (and I don't think I'll be wrong in saying that it's the extremely vast majority of the user pool) will know that it exists.
Working on re-uploading the FR manuals.

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 7 years 2 months ago #9018

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
So 0.9.126 is finally out.

New features it supports are DjVu eComics and mapable context help (see readme.txt in the help subfolder of your comicrack installation).

Converting the full PDF manual with the djvu tools to djvu (not with ComicRack, as ComicRack is optimized to image DjVus) you end up with a 10MB file :)

Now make a web comic out of this, put the pages as single djvu images onto the comicrack server (or any of your choosing) and create a online context mapping file and you're done. Nice in ComicRack context help without shipping the whole thing with each install.

Someone has to create the mapping though :)
And of course there are some changes in this build which may reflect in an revised manual.

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 7 years 2 months ago #9019

• {Oo}
  • Platinum Boarder
  • The Chewie is a lie !
  • Thank you received: 41
cYo wrote:

Summer makes you lazier than usual cYo! :laugh:
Working on re-uploading the FR manuals.

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 7 years 2 months ago #9026

• 600WPMPO
cYo wrote:
So 0.9.126 is finally out.

New features it supports are DjVu eComics and mapable context help (see readme.txt in the help subfolder of your comicrack installation).

Converting the full PDF manual with the djvu tools to djvu (not with ComicRack, as ComicRack is optimized to image DjVus) you end up with a 10MB file :)

Now make a web comic out of this, put the pages as single djvu images onto the comicrack server (or any of your choosing) and create a online context mapping file and you're done. Nice in ComicRack context help without shipping the whole thing with each install.

And of course there are some changes in this build which may reflect in an revised manual.
Its beyond my understanding..

Disappointed :(

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 7 years 2 months ago #9048

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
Not that hard. I can do the conversion to DjVu and/or put it on the server. It is enough if you create the mapping file.

Create a file names "Manual.ini" in the help subfolder.
Put following in it:
HelpApp = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\AcroRd32.exe
HelpApp2 = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Acrobat.exe
HelpLink = /A "page={0}" "$APPPATH\Help\manual.pdf" 

in this case you must copy your pdf manual also into the help folder and name it "manual.pdf"

Create for all topics mappings with the page number:
; App Areas
MainForm:readerContainer = 12
ReaderForm:readerContainer = 34

use the "ComicRack Wiki.ini" file as sample. Note that the above page numbers are not correct. I just wrote two numbers :)

You can add additional mappings by starting ComicRack with the shortcut "-schk". This way ComicRack display dialogs with all the mapping names leading to the part of the gui where you pressed F1. You can use one of these names (the first is the most specific, the last is the most generic).

If you/someone made the mapping. I can add the manual to the server/install whatever.

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 7 years 2 months ago #9064

• 600WPMPO
Well I tried with the "-schk" command-line switch..

Most places I get the same 2 mapping names:
    Main form:Item View
    Main form: comicBrowser

Sometimes I even get this:

Some terminologies used in the manual are not present in the mapping names.

What about the toolbars & the tab bars ? How to get the F1 on the docking grips ? How to tell people about command-line switches ? touch / gesture controls ? all the scripts ? web comics ?

The initial chapters explain the bare user interface, and the later chapters add -on to that knowledge. When you will map a portion of the gui to a page, we will have multiple pages in different chapters..won't we ?

Frankly, this idea of using a workaround of having a "F1-based webcomic manual" sucks (in my opinion).. :S

A lot of software I have seen.. everywhere the manual is a file that comes with the install, and can be read side-by-side with learning the software. It has to be like a book.. that can be read from cover to cover. You can also search it for specific tips.

If we are not Apple, and can not afford to have a 30-MB manual on the server/install, let it be that way.

Sorry.. either I still don't understand it, or the "F1-based webcomic manual" is not my cup of tea..

I still suggest you let the wiki stay for online F1 based help, and make the manual an offline feature.. either as pdf or DjVu.

Final decision is obviously yours. But I hope I have made my stand clear.

Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re:The ComicRack Manual (Revised 3rd edition) 7 years 2 months ago #9067

• Adam Lucifer
  • Junior Boarder
  • Sum ergo cogitus
Excuse me but.. where do I actually d/l the manual?
The apparent "download" link just takes me to a nice .png of the download button graphic! :huh:

Re:The ComicRack Manual (Revised 3rd edition) 7 years 2 months ago #9068

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
www.multiupload.com/3ZDKYNV5BW

Then just choose one of the hosting services ;)
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!
Time to create page: 0.438 seconds

Who's Online

We have 212 guests and 6 members online