Welcome, Guest
News and Announcements

TOPIC: The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition)

Re:The ComicRack Manual (Revised 3rd edition) 7 years 2 months ago #9070

• Adam Lucifer
  • Junior Boarder
  • Sum ergo cogitus
Thanks.

I can see now that the image under the "download" button (yet-not-a-button) is the actual link... I have to say it is a most peculiar and confusing arrangement! :huh:
The topic has been locked.

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 7 years 2 months ago #9071

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
600WPMPO wrote:
I still suggest you let the wiki stay for online F1 based help, and make the manual an offline feature.. either as pdf or DjVu.

Final decision is obviously yours. But I hope I have made my stand clear.

I agree with you. I love the manual as it is, and I really think it is intended as a companion book to CR, rather than an online help. I think it serves best as a whole book, and it goes far beyond online help. The wiki, as has already been done in some places, can be upgraded by taking info (properly credited) from the manual as needed, and keep the wiki as the online help.

If shipping the manual with the program makes it too big, the download link could just be added in CR main window somewhere...

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 7 years 2 months ago #9072

• quidam
  • Platinum Boarder
  • not for nom
  • Thank you received: 23
Context help is nice idea. However, I think most users needing help won't realize it's there and how it works. ;) Some solution that would make it more obvious and visible to the users would be appreciated. Maybe [?] help button next to the [minimize/restore/close] buttons on titlebar that works same as pressing F1 would be good addition?

That said, there's one general issue with context help - flexibility. We will do the mappings to the pdf/djvu manual pointing to certain pages but when content of manual changes at some point in the future we will have to change mappings each time accordingly. Thus online Wiki would be better place to do the binding for context help. Easier to edit and mapping wouldn't have to be changed.

Now, even thinking about copying whole 600's manual to the Wiki gives mi headache. ;] However that's probably the best thing to do. Step by step, we should manage.

Providing manual together with installation package is out of the question because of the size. But giving users quick link to download whole manual to read offline would be also good thing. This could be asked during installation - with checkbox 'I want to download CR manual'. Also link to download page for manual could be placed in Main Menu -> Help.
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by quidam.

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 7 years 2 months ago #9076

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
perezmu wrote:
600WPMPO wrote:
I still suggest you let the wiki stay for online F1 based help, and make the manual an offline feature.. either as pdf or DjVu.

Final decision is obviously yours. But I hope I have made my stand clear.

I agree with you. I love the manual as it is, and I really think it is intended as a companion book to CR, rather than an online help. I think it serves best as a whole book, and it goes far beyond online help.
This is called bingo ! B)

If only cYo would agree..

quidam wrote:
...giving users quick link to download whole manual to read offline would be also good thing. This could be asked during installation - with checkbox 'I want to download CR manual'. Also link to download page for manual could be placed in Main Menu -> Help.
Also give a shortcut under "All Programs" and in ComicRack installation folder labeled "ComicRack manual" that is an internet shortcut to the download link.

Just like the donation pop-up, on starting ComicRack, a message (with a 'do not show this box next time') asking the user if he wishes to download ComicRack manual can be added.

perezmu wrote:
The wiki, as has already been done in some places, can be upgraded by taking info (properly credited) from the manual as needed, and keep the wiki as the online help.
please do copy it as you wish guys.. I do not want any credit..

On a lighter note, Requesting Stonepaw for a script "Copy manual to wiki" :laugh: :laugh:
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 7 years 1 month ago #9477

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
I've added a Documentation section to the downloads, converted your manual to djvu (thus decreasing the size to 10MB) and added it.
Also I finally posted the "news" on the front page :)

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 7 years 1 month ago #9481

• 600WPMPO
cYo wrote:
I've added a Documentation section to the downloads, converted your manual to djvu (thus decreasing the size to 10MB) and added it.
Also I finally posted the "news" on the front page :)
I'm really happy cYo that finally the manual is "official". :)

Two more things will complete the "manualization" of ComicRack:
    1. A link to the manual in the Help menu of ComicRack
    2. A windows shortcut under "All Programs"
Anyway, this development now takes away any excuses on my side for not updating the manual further ;)

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 7 years 1 month ago #9490

• Alan Scott
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
@ 600WPMPO - Many apologies for not posting sooner! I've actually been around but I have been going at my renovations pretty hard lately when I'm not working, so all I've been able to do is read and go. I'm trying to get all the polyurethane on the floors before winter comes along, because those fumes can be oppressive when the windows are all closed!

I just want to stop and finally let you know how impressed I am with your manual. I mean this sincerely, it looks like one of those professional computer manuals that Wiley/Sybex and O'Reilly makes. I'm just blown away. Very clean, very "glossy", just a quality piece of work.

I'm aware that you've had some issues with it's availability, and I was wondering (sorry if I missed any post about this), have you considered taking over the wiki and planting the manual there? I would not take it at all personally if you deleted my contributions, they do not compare to your work. If anything, I think it's a real shame that folks aren't able to just view it without having to download it first, no matter what the source of the download is. This way, anybody could just look at the manual before they even install ComicRack and get a very clear sense of the many features and advantages of CR. I don't know if there are any drawbacks to doing so but if it's only a matter of stepping on any toes, well, I wouldn't be bothered. Seem only right to me.
... The failure to appreciate... is perfectly understandable, because the readership never evaluates old material in the context of the cultural climate in which it was created, or the state of the art at the time it was created.
Marty Pasko

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 7 years 1 month ago #9492

• 600WPMPO
Thanks Alan for all the praise :)

These days I am running busy and not getting much time for the manual (as it requires a lot of quality time). Most of these days, I just sip my morning coffee and browse through the forum, making posts here & there. So lets see when can I post the next edition.. :(

I still feel a 6-monthly cycle would do (like Linux), so we get an April and October as major editions (at least it will keep me committed ;) )..

We can always have minor revisions throughout the year ( if life gives me time)

Alan Scott wrote:
..have you considered taking over the wiki and planting the manual there?
No, I do not plan to do this. The manual is out there to be copied/modified by all. If someone (maybe you ?) would take the effort to copy paste the contents into the wiki, it be would be great.

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 7 years 1 month ago #9529

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
I have already said this, but now I have read the manual back to back, and all I can say is A W E S O M E !!!!

Thanks, man!

Re:The ComicRack Manual (3rd edition) 7 years 1 month ago #9575

• Alan Scott
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
@ 600WPMPO - Sure, I'd have no problem with doing that (copy/paste to wiki). It'll be another month or two, to complete said reno. It would be worth the effort.
... The failure to appreciate... is perfectly understandable, because the readership never evaluates old material in the context of the cultural climate in which it was created, or the state of the art at the time it was created.
Marty Pasko
Time to create page: 0.396 seconds

Who's Online

We have 187 guests and 7 members online