Welcome, Guest
News and Announcements

TOPIC: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.28 - 1.0.32

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.28 - 1.0.32 6 years 11 months ago #11045

• rmagere
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
You are perfectly right - this was entirely my fault :blush:

I was still running v .31 - once I updated to .32 all the issues appeared.

Thanks once again (while still :blush:)
The topic has been locked.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.28 - 1.0.32 6 years 11 months ago #11049

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 508
No worries...the bugs where I don't have to do anything to fix them are my favorite ones! :lol:

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.28 - 1.0.32 6 years 11 months ago #11059

• Tardy
  • Fresh Boarder
So first of all . . . Fantastic Script! Absolutely love it. Here is my problem though . . . and I am sure it is something I am doing so I appologize . . . After I scrape a batch of titles, then exit out of ComicRack . . . when i go back in all the information is gone. I don't know what I am doing wrong or not doing. Where is the information saved? I saw something about needing NTFS which I have. Any help is much appreciated. I have about 400 scraped titles and I am hesitant to exit the application because i don't want to loose the information I gathered. Thanks.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.28 - 1.0.32 6 years 11 months ago #11060

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
@tardy:

In the "advanced" section in Preferences, there are two checkboxes under the heading "eComics":

"Allow writing of eComic info into files"

and

"eComic files are updated automatically"

Turning these on will allow ComicRack to save the metadata that you've scraped for each comic book into your actual comic book files--but it doesn't work if your files are .cbr files (better to convert to cbz or cb7 files.)

Of course, I'm pretty sure ComicRack should also be saving your scraped details into its own database, too (and doing so automatically.) The fact that this isn't happening for you is a bit puzzling--are you doing anything fancy with your user profile location in Windows, or running ComicRack in "local" mode ore something? It sounds like ComicRack can't write out its database files for some reason.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tardy

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.28 - 1.0.32 6 years 11 months ago #11063

• Tardy
  • Fresh Boarder
I have turned on those two options . . . I think I would prefer that anyway, then I shouldn't have to worry about the ComicVine Database as the information will be attached to the file. I assume that would make it portable too? In other words if I move a file from one machine too another the information will still come up as it is attached to the file? After checking that does it apply to all future scrapes or will it apply to the ones I have already done as well?

As far as my configuration, I am running VERY vanilla . . . fresh Win7 install nothing custom, latest version of ComicRack and ComicVine Scraper all with the defaults. Not even sure what running ComicRack in local mode means . . . sorry, I know . . . very newbie. I really appreciate your help though. Hopefully now that I have checked those options the data will save right to the file and I should be good to go. Thank you very much!

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.28 - 1.0.32 6 years 11 months ago #11077

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
Tardy wrote:
I have turned on those two options . . . I think I would prefer that anyway, then I shouldn't have to worry about the ComicVine Database as the information will be attached to the file. I assume that would make it portable too?
Yes, I prefer it this way myself. All of the scraped data goes into the comic book files, so if you ever move them to a different computer, etc, the information stays with each file. I prefer to think of the ComicRack database as "ComicRack's copy of that data, which it gets from my comic book files" (the same way that iTunes gets its library data by reading my music files).

Personally, I think those two preferences should be turned on by default, but I guess some people don't like the idea of ComicRack making changes to their comic book files without telling them.
After checking that does it apply to all future scrapes or will it apply to the ones I have already done as well?
It will apply to all future scrapes...but I suspect it won't affect your previous scrapes. At least not until you resave the metadata for those comics. That's easy though--just rescrape them all. If you're using the default scraper settings, things go much faster the second time you scrape a comic. You don't have to match your comic book to the right ComicVine comic when you rescrape; the scraper will remember your choice from last time.

BTW, if you want to confirm that your scraped data is being saved into your .cbz files, just rename (copies of) them to .zip files (which is what they actually are) and open them as zip archives. There should be a file inside each archive called "ComicInfo.xml" that contains all the scraped metadata for that comic.
As far as my configuration, I am running VERY vanilla . . .
Well, I'm a little out of my element as far as helping you to solve your original problem, i.e. that the ComicRack database files don't appear to be getting saved when you restart ComicRack. If you're still having that problem, hopefully someone else might be able jump in and offer some suggestions. Does the problem occur if you just edit some of your comic book info by hand (i.e. don't use the scraper at all)? If so, it's more of a ComicRack problem than Comic Vine Scraper problem, and you might have more luck asking for help in the bugs or help forums.
Last Edit: 6 years 11 months ago by cbanack. Reason: spelling

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.28 - 1.0.32 6 years 11 months ago #11089

• Khardam
  • Fresh Boarder
Heya y'all,

quick question: is there a way to indicate within ComicRack's metainfo NOT to scrape a file?

I've got quite a few foreign comics that are not on ComicVine and everytime I launch ComicScrape I need to manually press 'Skip' within Comic Vine Scraper. Any way to automate this (such as 'SKIP' in the tags section or something)?

Thanks!
Khardam

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.28 - 1.0.32 6 years 11 months ago #11090

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 109
Put CVDBSKIP on the note field.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.28 - 1.0.32 6 years 11 months ago #11093

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
forkicks wrote:
:) Thanks fk.. this is new info for me.. will note it down for the manual..
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 6 years 11 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.28 - 1.0.32 6 years 11 months ago #11095

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
600WPMPO wrote:
forkicks wrote:
:) Thanks fk.. this is new info for me.. will note it down for the manual..
If you don't want to edit your notes, you can also tag the comic with "CVDBSKIP", if you prefer.

It's sort of a secret feature for power users, or for users that read the (next version of the) manual. ;)
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds

Who's Online

We have 283 guests and 4 members online