Welcome, Guest
General questions and discussions

TOPIC: ComicRack on Android

ComicRack on Android 6 years 7 months ago #14582

  • cYo
  • cYo's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 3476
  • Thank you received: 676
  • Karma: 182
Change of plans :)

Now that I've bought myself an android 3.0 tablet and after 2 days ran out of ideas what I could actually do with it, I guess I start writing an Android client.
Last Edit: 6 years 7 months ago by cYo.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bob, LCISTech, marinos35, Isuldor, Voigti

ComicRack on Android 6 years 7 months ago #14583

  • lanzajr26
  • lanzajr26's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Gold Boarder
  • Posts: 165
  • Thank you received: 1
  • Karma: 2
Haha, necessity is the mother of invention right? Damn, and I thought I had completely talked myself out of wanting an Android tablet too... this will change things!
Last Edit: 6 years 6 months ago by 600WPMPO. Reason: changed title
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ComicRack on Android 6 years 7 months ago #14585

  • flips
  • flips's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Boarder
  • Posts: 45
  • Thank you received: 9
  • Karma: 1
Excellent choice!!! :D what model did you get?

What is the over under on how long before you get the ETA question? lol..
Last Edit: 6 years 6 months ago by 600WPMPO. Reason: changed title
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ComicRack on Android 6 years 7 months ago #14588

  • cYo
  • cYo's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 3476
  • Thank you received: 676
  • Karma: 182
I bought an Acer A500. It is technically superior to the Xoom and a lot cheaper. Only unknown is how Acer handles the update to 3.1. But I hope they will not blunder their start with Android.

When I get back from the USA I would estimate a month or so for a basic reader.

You should know what to expect. This will not be ComicRack on Android. 5 years of tuning and development have gone into ComicRack. The codebase is about 500k lines of code (conservative estimate).

So the first step will be a simple reader with basic layout options and some easy way to get comics from ComicRack. ComicRack will make all the format conversions for the reader so I will not have to mess around with all the different formats on Android. Most important for me is getting reading status back to ComicRack. Just think of ITunes and IPod.
Last Edit: 6 years 6 months ago by 600WPMPO. Reason: changed title
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ComicRack on Android 6 years 7 months ago #14589

  • 600WPMPO
  • 600WPMPO's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 3788
  • Thank you received: 557
  • Karma: 233
cYo wrote:
...This will not be ComicRack on Android.....the first step will be a simple reader with basic layout options and some easy way to get comics from ComicRack.
So, finally the Android journey begins! :cheer:

p.s. I also hope to buy an Android tablet soon.. haven't decided which one yet..
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 6 years 6 months ago by 600WPMPO. Reason: changed title
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ComicRack on Android 6 years 7 months ago #14591

  • Samael69
  • Samael69's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 381
  • Thank you received: 47
  • Karma: 21
cYo wrote:
Change of plans :)

Now that I've bought myself an android 3.0 tablet and after 2 days ran out of ideas what I could actually do with it, I guess I start writing an Android client.

And here I had myself talked in to ASUS Eee Slate EP121...perhaps I'll have to rethink that now. :laugh:
Last Edit: 6 years 6 months ago by 600WPMPO. Reason: changed title
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ComicRack on Android 6 years 7 months ago #14592

  • perezmu
  • perezmu's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 1114
  • Thank you received: 64
  • Karma: 51
cYo wrote:
So the first step will be a simple reader with basic layout options and some easy way to get comics from ComicRack. ComicRack will make all the format conversions for the reader so I will not have to mess around with all the different formats on Android. Most important for me is getting reading status back to ComicRack. Just think of ITunes and IPod.

cYo, I, as an iPad owner, hereby humbly request that you provide a somewhat "open" interface between comicrack and the android app, so that the data provided/received by comicrack could be consumed by other devices than android. I am not asking you to develop an iPad reader, I know how you feel about it, but to provide means for other tools to interact with comicrack the same way as your android reader would.

Cheers! :laugh:
Last Edit: 6 years 6 months ago by 600WPMPO. Reason: changed title
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ComicRack on Android 6 years 7 months ago #14593

  • quidam
  • quidam's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • not for nom
  • Posts: 448
  • Thank you received: 23
  • Karma: 30
cYo wrote:
Change of plans :)

Now that I've bought myself an android 3.0 tablet and after 2 days ran out of ideas what I could actually do with it, I guess I start writing an Android client.

Good news! (I just hope the Web version will come first ;))

Btw, 600 - It's a good point to spit this topic to a new one "ComicRack on Android" and keep this clean just about tablets.
Last Edit: 6 years 6 months ago by 600WPMPO. Reason: changed title
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ComicRack on Android 6 years 6 months ago #14594

  • 600WPMPO
  • 600WPMPO's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 3788
  • Thank you received: 557
  • Karma: 233
quidam wrote:
Btw, 600 - It's a good point to spit this topic to a new one "ComicRack on Android" and keep this clean just about tablets.
Your wish is my command master :cheer: (otherwise I'll have to burn in hell :evil: )
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 6 years 6 months ago by 600WPMPO.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ComicRack on Android 6 years 6 months ago #14595

  • pescuma
  • pescuma's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 115
  • Thank you received: 16
  • Karma: 21
perezmu wrote:
cYo, I, as an iPad owner, hereby humbly request that you provide a somewhat "open" interface between comicrack and the android app, so that the data provided/received by comicrack could be consumed by other devices than android. I am not asking you to develop an iPad reader, I know how you feel about it, but to provide means for other tools to interact with comicrack the same way as your android reader would.

Me thinks this is a good idea too. With a "open" interface the web browser could use the same interface and a GWT front-end to view the comics.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.352 seconds

Who's Online

We have 238 guests and 2 members online