Welcome, Guest
General questions and discussions

TOPIC: Adroid App - Amazon?

Re: Adroid App - Amazon? 6 years 1 month ago #17878

• tmeader
  • Fresh Boarder
In most of the initial previews after Amazon's press event, when asked directly about side-loading, Amazon stated that it WOULD be allowed. So, I don't see any reason why you won't be able to directly download the apk from this site or something and install it. Now, of course, the Fire will have no SD Card slots or even USB ports, so anything will need to either be stored on your computer and synced or on a Dropbox-like service to get it on there in the first place. And it only has 8GB storage at that.

I'm just waiting for the Transformer Prime to come out, and then I'll definitely be jumping on board with an Android tablet for comics from here on out. Can't stand the amount of space that the physical ones take up anymore.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Adroid App - Amazon? 6 years 1 month ago #18150

• belgorm
  • Fresh Boarder
cYo wrote:
Can you sideload apps on the kindle?

I have very mixed feelings about the Amazon store. Another derivation of Android (and this time not even supported by Google).

And we all heard the stories of developers entering and then shortly after leaving the market again (for various reasons - free app promotion without compensation, app approval etc.).

Question: Can you install standard APK's?
Answer: Yep, you sure can-- as long as they work on Gingerbread.

source was GDGT.com

Re: Adroid App - Amazon? 6 years 1 month ago #18191

• usagent27
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
tmeader wrote:
In most of the initial previews after Amazon's press event, when asked directly about side-loading, Amazon stated that it WOULD be allowed. So, I don't see any reason why you won't be able to directly download the apk from this site or something and install it. Now, of course, the Fire will have no SD Card slots or even USB ports, so anything will need to either be stored on your computer and synced or on a Dropbox-like service to get it on there in the first place. And it only has 8GB storage at that.

I'm just waiting for the Transformer Prime to come out, and then I'll definitely be jumping on board with an Android tablet for comics from here on out. Can't stand the amount of space that the physical ones take up anymore.

Comics on the Transformer are awesome! so the prime should have no trouble with them!

Re: Adroid App - Amazon? 6 years 1 month ago #18192

• donspace
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
cYo wrote:
Can you sideload apps on the kindle?

I have very mixed feelings about the Amazon store. Another derivation of Android (and this time not even supported by Google).

And we all heard the stories of developers entering and then shortly after leaving the market again (for various reasons - free app promotion without compensation, app approval etc.).

About the stories ... I've had a pretty good chat with a developer who has some experience with Amazon. I'm thinking he would probably be open to sharing his info if cYo wants to discuss it with him. Let me know and I'll pass along my contact info (not that it's some big secret or anything).

D
Java devil, you are now my bitch.

Re: Adroid App - Amazon? 6 years 1 month ago #18209

• glave
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I was just reading this article and it looks like we could get Comicrack on the Kindle right now.

mashable.com/2011/11/14/kindle-fire-runs-nook-app/

Looks like you can basically install it by using getjar.com, however that's just the free version. I have no idea how we could actually pay for it and load it.

Re: Adroid App - Amazon? 6 years 1 month ago #18212

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
Yes, it seems you can download and install the free version from getjar.com.
The problem seems to get the eComics onto the device as to my knowledge the thing has no USB port.

Re: Adroid App - Amazon? 6 years 1 month ago #18219

• belgorm
  • Fresh Boarder
Pull them in via DropBox :)

Re: Adroid App - Amazon? 6 years 1 month ago #18221

• tmeader
  • Fresh Boarder
It has a mini-USB port I believe, but no SD card at all.

Re: Adroid App - Amazon? 6 years 1 month ago #18222

• weeji
  • Fresh Boarder
@belgorm
I assumed cYo was referring to syncing in ComicRack without a USB port. Otherwise, any number of file management apps will transfer files over wifi.

Re: Adroid App - Amazon? 6 years 1 month ago #18231

• onslaught
  • Junior Boarder
Hey guys,

I'm new on here, but love Comicrack! I used this website to load the app onto the kindle. It works great.

blog.laptopmag.com/how-to-sideload-apps-on-the-kindle-fire

It mentions to use getjar, but I did not do it this way.

I used the combination at the end of the artile. Here is how I did it...

1.) Used Astro Manager on my phone (HTC Inspire) to create a backup of Comicrack (Free). This gives you the .apk file.

2) I saved the .apk file onto my computer and then conected my Kindle Fire to the computer using a USB cord that came with my phone.

3) Then Using ES File Manager (Free) I installed the app onto my Kindle Fire.

It works perfectly! This was the free app though, will this work the same way for the Paid version, cause I would rather get that version?
Time to create page: 0.415 seconds

Who's Online

We have 279 guests and one member online