Welcome, Guest
General questions and discussions

TOPIC: What are the drawbacks of simply taking a usb hdd into the android app?

What are the drawbacks of simply taking a usb hdd into the android app? 6 years 1 month ago #17727

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 109
Hey all

I just got an android tablet, a Toshiba AT100 (never had anything with that OS before, so please bear with me), running 3.1. I got the full comicrack app (actually, i got the tablet BECAUSE of the app).

I have successfully sync'ed both through usb and wifi without a problem, but i'm wondering what are the drawbacks of simply taking an external hdd and plugging it into the android device and having comicrack app manage it. Are there memory constraints regarding library size? Image resolution problems? file format?

Cheers,
fK
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: What are the drawbacks of simply taking a usb hdd into the android app? 6 years 1 month ago #17729

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
Memory is always an issue on Android devices.

Like I said elsewhere, ComicRack for Android is built for a fast, hassle free reading experience and not to manage 10k+ eComics :) (BTW I have to come up with some abbreviations like CRA and CRW).

In the first releases I even limited the amount of eComics to manage to 500, but removed that after some complaints.
CRA only understands CBZ/CBR, you can not edit meta data (except rating and a few reading related data sets). But with CRA you can put your device from the nightstand and start reading in 5 seconds :)

As a side note, since I have the Android version I read a lot more comics. With network access I sometimes felt overwhelmed (the where to start phenomena).

With the android and sync I decide to get a few series/story lines and have then the feeling to read them "away" (as read eComics will vanish from the device with the next sync).
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by cYo.

Re: What are the drawbacks of simply taking a usb hdd into the android app? 5 years 11 months ago #19766

• arcadius
  • Fresh Boarder
Much like the OP, CRA was the main reason I bought an Asus Transformer vs an Ipad. I have been a long time user of CRW and buying CRA was the first thing I did after unboxing my Transformer. Until reading this thread, I did not realize that keeping all my comics locally on my TF and using CRA to manage and read them was not really recommended. Heck, I bought a 32GB SD card when I bought my TF just for comics. Right now I have about 15 GB on there I think and CRA is doing a pretty good job of managing them. It's bit slow to open, but I can live with that. I wish I could organize my comics in folder rather than one big collection with stacks ( the stacks don't always contain themselves into a sensible series as the file naming convention used on some of them is not good--not fault of CRA).

I am loving having all my comics on an microSD and just keeping it in there all the time. Otherwise I would have no space left on the SSD in the TF. So I don't read my comics via wifi at all. That would suck when I am on the road or at the cottage and want to read something. It's nice to know that they are all snug and tight on my microSD and available to me at any time without the need to decide which ones to copy to the SSD for this trip, etc.

Is it possible to organize by folder in CRA? Am I just missing something?

Cheers
Time to create page: 0.481 seconds

Who's Online

We have 861 guests and 4 members online