Welcome, Guest
General questions and discussions

TOPIC: Pairing and syncing with multiple computers

Pairing and syncing with multiple computers 5 years 9 months ago #20010

• Arken77
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello!

I have been using the ComicRack for android on my Acer Iconia A500 tablet for a while now and I really love it. It's THE best way to read digital comics. I've actually bought the tablet more or less to be able to use ComicRack on it, all the other great functions and features are just bonus. ;)

Anyway, the reason I'm writing this is that I wonder if it is possible to have ComicRack for android paired and synced with multiple ComicRacks for windows on different computers. I normally sync it to my media PC at home, where I have all of my E-comics collected and archived. That works great, but sometimes I'm away from home with my laptop and get a hold of a new e-comic that I would like to read on my tablet. Or the same when I'm find a new comic to read at the computer at work. I have ComicRack installed on all those computers and would like to be able to add the comic in question to the library on those computers, scrape all the details from comicvine and then sync it up to the tablet for reading.

Preferably when I later sync the tablet to my main computer, the new comic would be synced back to it, but I'm not sure if it is possible, as the sync right now seems to go mostly one way.

So to summarize, what I'm looking for is a way of syncing same ComicRack for android to multiple ComicRack for windows, with different libraries, without having the comics not in the library of the computer being deleted from the tablet and perhaps with comics synced to the tablet this way to be synced back to the "main" comicrack servers library.

Is it at all possible? Perhaps a feature that may be implemented later? I can't be the only one who use more then one computer to get the e-comics and wanting to be able to get them all to a single reading device, can I?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Pairing and syncing with multiple computers 5 years 9 months ago #20011

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
No. Currently not.

You can sync multiple devices with one computer, but not one device with multiple computers.
Basically when syncing with multiple computers, each sync would remove all the current comics and replace them with the ones from the current computer.

I've to say that before I implement this, I'll implement remote network viewing.

Re: Pairing and syncing with multiple computers 5 years 9 months ago #20012

• Arken77
  • Fresh Boarder
I've just noticed it myself. For a little experiment I've paired my tablet, full of e-comics to my laptop, without those comics in the library and syncing them. Off course all of my comics on the tablet disappeared and was replaced with the few I've chosen to sync off the laptop as a test. Oh well, I'll just leave the tablet connected to a charger for an hour or so and sync it up again to my media PC. ;)

Is there any other way to just be able to get new comics onto the tablet from different computers? I mean, if I prepare a new comic with CRW with all the metadata I want it to have and then just export it right into the comics folder on the SD Card of my tablet as a CBZ? CBA should be able to read it fine, shouldn't it? If I then, after say reading half of it, move the CBZ file manually to the library folder on my Media PC all the metadata and reading position should still be there, shouldn't it? And if i then set the comic in question to sync up to the tablet from the library of media PC CBW it should get right back to the tablet, as CBP file this time, with all the meta data and reading position intact?

This should work as a work around to what I want to do, shouldn't it?
Last Edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Arken77.

Re: Pairing and syncing with multiple computers 5 years 9 months ago #20013

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 108
Comicrack for Android will read CBZs and CBRs (not solid CBRs). Those are larger and bulkier, tho.

If you drop them on the comic folder and refresh your library, you should see them. I don't know how reading status and positions will be saved (probably not), as i haven't tried it myself.

fK

Re: Pairing and syncing with multiple computers 5 years 9 months ago #20014

• Arken77
  • Fresh Boarder
Since I've just resynced all the books I had on my tablet before I've done some more experimenting and tried to do just what I've described.

I found out that you can put CBZs directly in the comic folder on the android device and CRA can read and display them just fine. It also remembers where I was when I've last read the comic, how much I've ever read and all that. However all that info is NOT placed inside the CBZ file, so if I move the CBZ from my tablet all that information is lost. I've noticed that biggest difference between a CBZ file and a CBP file is that a CBZ have the metadata inside the archive, in a XML file, while CBP have a xml file with the same name in the same directory.

The format of the XML files in both seems to be almost identical, the CBP one has some extra XML tags like Added, Opened, CurrentPage and LastPageRead. From what I gather those tags are exactly what tells CRA what page I've had opened last time I read the book and all that.

Would it be possible to modifie ComicRack for windows to be able to read CBP/XML file format and export comics to it? If I could take a comic from library on a different computer and export it manually to CBP/XML format, copy it manually to my tablet I think I should be able to then move it to library of another ComicRack for Windows and from there sync it up normally to my tablet, thereby obtaining exactly what I want to be able to do; load my tablet with comics on a different computer and then be able to export those comics, with ALL the info about them to my main ComicRack computer and perhaps later sync them up to my tablet normally, with all the info still intact.
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds

Who's Online

We have 200 guests and 5 members online