Welcome, Guest
General questions and discussions
  • Page:

TOPIC: BB Playbook Android player

BB Playbook Android player 5 years 8 months ago #20623

• microzone
  • Fresh Boarder
The new Blackberry Playbook OS 2.0 is coming out this month. It offers full support for Android apps, but the devs need to convert them from apk to bar files. Have you guys already or do you have any plans/interest in supporting this tablet too? I'd rather use Comic Rack and sync it with my PC.

I love the smaller form factor of the 7" tablets, and the price is too good to pass up for any of the Honeycomb or ICS Android tablets. $300 for a 64GB PB. I can fit almost my entire comic collection on a 64GB tablet.

This is a link for Android developers to convert their stuff to Playbook: bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/android/tool/

My buddy played with this over the holidays and said that even the beta version of the OS worked pretty well. Actually he said it worked better there than on his Galaxy Tab 10.1. :lol: Another reason (besides the crazy cheap price) that I'm looking at the PB for my tablet.
Last Edit: 5 years 8 months ago by microzone. Reason: Edit to add link
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: BB Playbook Android player 5 years 8 months ago #20634

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
There is now a free PlayBook in it :)

I may port ComicRack this weekend if it is not too complicated. But don't count on it. It depends on mood and time.

Re: BB Playbook Android player 5 years 8 months ago #20637

• microzone
  • Fresh Boarder
Free Playbook. :)

Re: BB Playbook Android player 5 years 8 months ago #20641

• cYo
BlackBerry is really in the game.

bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/android/tool

go to simulator and try to download.

Re: BB Playbook Android player 5 years 8 months ago #20648

• microzone
  • Fresh Boarder
I hope it works for them. I don't want tablets being a two-man race between Apple & Google.

HP frakked up Palm even more than Palm ever did to itself. Windows tablets would be nice, if Windows 8 works like it should. Never having to convert and files to run on a tablet. No iTunes. >:( Just run stock Windows apps. Just load up the stock PC versions of Comic Rack & VLC player for videos. It's an ugly UI, but if it works, I guess it'll be ok.

Re: BB Playbook Android player 5 years 8 months ago #20695

• cYo
So I'll invested a few hours of my time onto this project.

The "Playbook simulator" is not working well and I could not verify if ComicRack actually runs on this (screen update problems, flickering, input problems, bad looking). This can be of course the simulator.

But without a real device, I can not submit a program to a "market" if I do not know if it actually works.

Re: BB Playbook Android player 5 years 8 months ago #20775

• microzone
  • Fresh Boarder
That sucks. Even worse... I might not end up with e Playbook anyway. I'm still waiting on my tax refund to buy one and their big sale expired Saturday. >:( ($700 64GB tablet was down to $300.)

I might grab the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. It's on sale in the only store in my town that sells electronics like this.

I would've considered a Transformer Prime, but with the wifi & GPG bugs still being reported, and Asus just announcing a replacement for the device a month after it barely hit stores (it's still almost impossible to find), I figure that the TFP is dead. I'm curious what Hasbro copyright they'll use next time. ;)

Re: BB Playbook Android player 5 years 7 months ago #21031

• KwazyFwog
  • Fresh Boarder
So guys, any luck to see the best comic reader ported to the Blackberry Playbook?

Re: BB Playbook Android player 5 years 7 months ago #21310

• mem0ryburn
  • Fresh Boarder
Please oh please oh please bring your app to the Playbook!

You are just the kind of developer it needs. Your app is brilliant. If you were to reach out to anybody already in the Playbook development community I'm certain somebody would help if you need it. Many of us playbook owners are able to run the free version of your app on our Playbooks flawlessly in the Android player but official updates/support would be brilliant. I believe there isn't much work to do besides converting the APKs to BARs, which apparently takes but a few minutes, and testing, which I know might be an issue for you without a unit to test it on but it shouldn't be hard to find somebody to help with that perhaps.

I am running v1.27 of the free version of the app but if you ported it to the Playbook I would have no trouble paying a few dollars for it and even donating above and beyond that and I know I'm not alone. It would mean so much to us to have an official ComicRack app available from our App World.

Your app is of top shelf quality and blew my mind when I first tried it yesterday. Yours are the type of quality apps the platform needs! The Playbook platform is brilliant but it lacks a few premium apps. I believe that your app could help buck this trend and even help a few developers consider doing the same.

Signed,
-A huge fan, and potential customer

Re: BB Playbook Android player 5 years 7 months ago #21321

• cYo
I tried it.

Problem was that in the emulator it did not work correctly (may be the emulators fault).
I could not guarantee that this repacked version would have a standard of quality I expect from stuff I do :)

A different problem is now, that there's a repacked (and hacked) full version going round on the playbook and this one also does not work correctly (random page sequence).
Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by cYo.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds

Who's Online

We have 212 guests and 10 members online