Welcome, Guest
General questions and discussions

TOPIC: Custom Lists

Custom Lists 4 years 9 months ago #29696

• riggityrow
  • Fresh Boarder
Let me just start out by saying that I really love ComicRack! It has made organizing my comics soooo much easier, and frankly i'm mad at myself for spending as much time trying to organize my folders in Windows Explorer as I did. The comicvine scrapper is also extremely awesome! The only problem I am having, is that I can't figure out how to get my comics to stay in the order I put them in, in a custom list using the ComicRack Windows application. I literally just spent HOURS sorting my comics out into their storylines and good read orders, but it really doesn't do me any good if once I sync them, they are no longer in that order. After all, isn't that the point of the custom list? If anyone could tell me how to remedy this it would be deeply appreciated.

Update: So after some searching it seems that there are other people have this same issue but it doesn't seem like there have been any effective solutions offered. It looks like even if you select the option for the comics to be "Not Sorted" (eComics are displayed in the original order), it still displays the comics in Series alphabetical, then series number.

Maybe a moderator should move this post to the requested features section, since it doesn't seem like it possible to manually order your comics in the android app as of yet. Please, fix this and this application will be nearly perfect!
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by riggityrow. Reason: new info
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Custom Lists 4 years 9 months ago #29848

• riggityrow
  • Fresh Boarder
bump

Re: Custom Lists 4 years 9 months ago #29849

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
I've never had this problem - any list I've had in CRW with a manual order shows up exactly the same in CRA when set to "Not Sorted".

Re: Custom Lists 4 years 9 months ago #29894

• Knight Rider
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
It's like Shinrai said, set "not sort" in both comicrack's, windows and android

Re: Custom Lists 4 years 9 months ago #29901

• pokeone
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
When you go to Edit>Devices, select a list and uncheck the "Sort By" box. When you sync that list, select "Not Sorted" on CRA and it will follow the manual sorting.
This actually tripped me up at first when I updated my version of CRW and CRA, felt like an idiot when I realized what I had to do.

Re: Custom Lists 4 months 1 day ago #47992

• Skullberry
  • Senior Boarder
Unsorted and uncheck sort by do not have the desired effect. Numbered series lists and alternate series lists arranged by reading order do not sort and stack the same way. Only one or the other currently sort and stack correctly. Not at the same time depending on stack/sort selections.

Stack by list and sort by position (or unsorted) would work. Stack by series or storyline does NOT work for both all the time. Currently an alternate series (x-cutioner song) if stacked by series would be broken up into it's individual series while a normal numbered series is fine.

An alternate series stacked by story line works fine but a numbered series, that throughout it's run is made up of various storylines as defined by the scraper, is broken up into various stacks.

Stack by list and sort by position (or unsorted) would fix this.
Last Edit: 4 months 1 day ago by Skullberry.

Custom Lists 4 months 1 day ago #47996

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
Not sure why this old thread has been ressurected but just to reassure anyone confused or thinking this is an issue that still needs fixing here is my advice.

The trick is to make sure Alt Series is the same across your list (if some have two entries here then you need to edit them), and Alt Number provides the correct order. Then, use the sync option 'sort by alternative series' and view it on your tablet as a storyline. I am not an android user, so I can't advise exactly how to select this on that platform, but on an iPad you choose Story in the lists panel. Then within that view sort by story.

There are other ways to do this, but the above is the most reliable, works with any kind of list and gives a consistent result.

In theory it doesn't matter how the files are synced as long as the alt fields are correct, so for example if you had a crossover that included mostly books you already sync then you would only need to sync the ones you don't have in their own list. The sync options just get the files onto your device, they don't really dictate how you then view them.

The unordered suggestion has become a bit of a meme, but it isn't really the best option. They work mainly because those suggesting them already have the alt fields in order or because they are mainly using standard lists and not smart lists. In theory such things don't matter, they have just become received wisdom because they work under certain conditions.
Last Edit: 4 months 1 day ago by jkthemac.

Custom Lists 4 months 23 hours ago #48003

• Skullberry
  • Senior Boarder
This thread has not been resurrected because the issue persists. Let's go out on a limb and assume that Metadata has been edited correctly for a reading list.

You cannot browse or organize the comics of a synced library the same way that you can a library that one has manually added. You can create folder structures in a manual library. You can then stack or sort by folder, series, storyline.

A synced library has no folder structure and is therefore limited in the ways that you can stack/sort in comparison to a manual library. No stack/sort by folder. I have a workaround but I now have to browse my synced library differently from my manual. The left slide out panel ( not sure of the proper nomenclature) displays synced lists. When selected those lists show comics that have been arranged however you arranged them in the synced list. Even if simply by position.

For my manual library I have these nice large stacks (by large I mean a large picture of the cover of the first issue in that folder.) organized by folder containing comics that are in any old order that I choose.

For my synced library I must browse from the left slide out list of.......lists. those are teeny tiny groups of comics in a slide out thingy.

Because of all this the lack of a folder structure in a synced library creates a limitation that requires an unsatisfactory workaround. A stack by list option would fix this
Last Edit: 4 months 23 hours ago by Skullberry.
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds

Who's Online

We have 222 guests and 7 members online