Welcome, Guest
General questions and discussions

TOPIC: Registration check

Registration check 4 years 7 months ago #32997

• Olympios
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello.
The reason I bought a Tablet is so I can use it to read comics in places where there is no internet or when traveling. I also bought and installed ComicRack but I found out, every four or five days it is looking to connect to internet!!! A message comes up and says something like this: "Cannot connect to store to verify registration..." and the only option is "Close". If ComicRack requires internet connection in order to work then why would I need a Tablet, I would rather use my computer.
Is there a way to disable this check?
Thanks.
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Olympios.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Registration check 4 years 7 months ago #32998

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
I can't say for sure, but I believe this is Google's licensing code for paid apps - there's nothing cYo can do to change the way that particular widget works. (I may be wrong but I feel like this has come up before)

Re: Registration check 4 years 7 months ago #33087

• wojosama
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 45
From the android faq on this site:

"License check fails for the full Edition

ComicRack uses the standard licensing scheme for Google Market. You can use ComicRack Full edition offline and it is not required to be connected to the internet all the time.

But from time to time the validity fo the license is checked. If this happens you've to make sure that you're connected to the internet. ... "

There was a bit more to it but it was just for if the the license check still won't verify even if you are online. Point is, like shinrai said, that's just how Google's licensing code works.
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by wojosama. Reason: Clarification

Re: Registration check 4 years 6 months ago #33498

• Olympios
  • Fresh Boarder
Gentlemen, thanks for the replies.wojosama wrote:
But from time to time the validity of the license is checked. If this happens you've to make sure that you're connected to the internet. ... "
From time to time??? How about every four days!
And here I am in an aircraft that just took off, start ComicRack, only to find out that needs to verify the license!!!
wojosama wrote:
... Point is, like shinrai said, that's just how Google's licensing code works.
Yes, we can blame Google for this but it doesn't mean that we should leave CYO out. It is his product and even though Google has its own way to do sales, CYO gets the money. He either has to tell Google what to do or find another way to market his product. So let's not wash our hands and say "not my fault, it's Google's, I have no control over it!"
No, I do not want my money back. It is an excellent product and well worth the price, but... I use the free version.

Re: Registration check 4 years 6 months ago #33501

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
Why are you spazzing out? You're using a free version and you're upset about a license check?

Re: Registration check 4 years 6 months ago #33503

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
I'm sorry about all the problems. But this is the way Google handles it.
I opted for the least restrictive option that Google offers. There's also the always "on" option...
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by cYo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Olympios

Re: Registration check 4 years 6 months ago #33504

• Ron
  • Fresh Boarder
  • ComicRack + Tablet = Awesome
  • Thank you received: 4
I agree that this sucks. Here is my processes

if short trip. start CRA on my phone and tablet (tablet is wifi only) once before I leave the house

if on a long multiply week trip, do the same as above and if the issue happens later in the trip, I tether my tablet to my phone to use the data connection and open CRA once then kill the tether. Yes this is expensive when roaming but the comics are more important.
Hi, I'm a Marvel
The following user(s) said Thank You: Olympios

Re: Registration check 4 years 6 months ago #33545

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
Olympios wrote:
Yes, we can blame Google for this but it doesn't mean that we should leave CYO out. It is his product and even though Google has its own way to do sales, CYO gets the money. He either has to tell Google what to do or find another way to market his product. So let's not wash our hands and say "not my fault, it's Google's, I have no control over it!"

So you're saying that, since Google doesn't offer any less restrictive alternatives, and since clearly they won't listen to a single complaint from one developer, that CRA just shouldn't be listed on the Play Store on principle? That's a great way to kill public awareness of a product.

Re: Registration check 4 years 6 months ago #33636

• Olympios
  • Fresh Boarder
Shinrai wrote:
Olympios wrote:

So you're saying that, since Google doesn't offer any less restrictive alternatives, and since clearly they won't listen to a single complaint from one developer, that CRA just shouldn't be listed on the Play Store on principle? That's a great way to kill public awareness of a product.
People using tablets also use a PC and most (if not all) know CRA long before they buy a tablet. Besides, you know that you can install apps to your tablet directly from the internet, so you are not limited only to what is available on Play Store.
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Olympios.

Re: Registration check 4 years 6 months ago #33640

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
Cool, but Joe Average User doesn't know you can install apps from outside the Play Store. It's an issue of product awareness. (Also, not terribly relevant, but remember that CRA doesn't only run on tablets.)
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Shinrai.
Time to create page: 0.383 seconds

Who's Online

We have 210 guests and one member online