Welcome, Guest
General questions and discussions

TOPIC: KitKat question

KitKat question 3 years 7 months ago #38505

• Bob
  • Expert Boarder
I saw a news item something about Android 4.4 changing SDCard write privileges, and it breaking a lot of apps. Does this affect ComicRack?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

KitKat question 3 years 7 months ago #38510

• squeedps
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I have a 2nd Gen Nexus 7 with KK on it and I can say for sure that it has no issues whatsoever writing to the internal SD card.

KitKat question 3 years 7 months ago #38512

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
There seems to be a problem with KitKat and external SD Cards.

www.androidcentral.com/kitkat-sdcard-changes

I do only have Nexus Devices with KitKat (and they do not have an external SD card), so for now I'm unable to look into this problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bob

KitKat question 3 years 7 months ago #38517

• Bob
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks! Yes, that was the article I saw. I'll hold off on taking the KitKat update on my tablet (if it's offered); for my phone I can just put my comics on the internal card.

KitKat question 3 years 7 months ago #38528

• startreksteve
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
They say it can still write to the external SD card, but only an application specific folder on it, so if you remove THAT app, it deletes the folder linked to it on the External SD card. This would prove to be a problem I think with media that is accesed by multiple apps, Pictures, Music, Videos, Text, all these are accessed on my devices by multiple applications, not practical at all in the real world Google. This is the sort of thing that would make me start looking elsewhere for an operating system, or at the very least block updates newer than Jelly Bean. Im told costom Roms can turn this feature off, I'd rather not go down that route to be honest. I have a couple of Camera apps I use regularly, so only one could access the pics, and what about pic viewers? I use Quickpic, which would only be able to view the pics read-only and not delete unwanted ones. I know Google want to improve security, but not at the cost of useability, sounds very Applesque to me!

KitKat question 3 years 6 months ago #38647

• jakefree
  • Fresh Boarder
I for the life of me could not get my Samsung Galaxy Pro 8.4 to write to the sdcard. I have other apps that would write to the sdcard just fine and fallowed there folder path to the sdcard. Found that ComicRack even put a folder in the Android/Data folder on the sdcard, but comicrack still would not write to it. I was very dissapointed, enough that I took back the tablet and am looking for something else. I was spoiled by how nice that tablet was though. Nothing has compared to its performance and screen quality. Has anyone had luck with this app writing to the sdcard? If so tell me what I was doing wrong and I will go get that tablet again.

KitKat question 3 years 6 months ago #38651

• cYo
I do not have a Samsung device.
So if anybody finds a workaround, this would be cool.

KitKat question 3 years 6 months ago #38662

• rbasniak
  • Fresh Boarder
Updated my Note 3 to Kitkat and now CR cannot sync anymore.

I think it's because this new sd card issue. Since CR cannot write there anymore, it just doesn't sync.

It gives no error, if I go to the Devices menu, it finds my phone as always. But when I start the sync, it starts a syncing task and then after some minutes this task just finishes and nothing happens.

I know there are workarounds for rooted users, but my device is not rooted. Does anyone have any solutions?

Thanks in advance...
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by rbasniak.

KitKat question 3 years 6 months ago #38663

• cYo

KitKat question 3 years 6 months ago #38918

• rbasniak
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi, is there anything planned about this issue? I'm not an Android developer, but I think there's a solution updating CR, because after the KitKat update it's the only app that still cannot write to sdcard, even all the file explorers I tried can manage anything in the external sd card.

What really makes the paid version of CR stands from other android readers is the syncronization with the desktop app, and now it's broken for many users, because usually you don't have that much free space in the internal sd to spare with comics.
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by rbasniak.
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds

Who's Online

We have 212 guests and 6 members online