Welcome, Guest
General questions and discussions

TOPIC: Home "Server" Library

Home "Server" Library 3 years 5 months ago #38613

• grafxone
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi All,

I've been using CR for ages, longtime listener first time caller.

I have a ton of comics organized and stored on my home rack server in the basement. I have been fine with this set up for years as I read everything on my PC and map my folders and drive through CR. I recently bought the Asus Memo 10inch for comic and mag reading. I immediately started reading up on this whole wifi "sync" thing via CR and it left me with the following question:

I understand that I can sync pre-defined "smart lists". However, this requires to physically copy files(comics) from my Windows CR to my Android CR. But is there a way that I can can just read directly from my server (dare I say "stream") without copying redundant files over to my tablet and taking up valuable limted space --maybe via SAMBA(SMB) or something? Basically mirroring what I currently do on my desktop with comics, movies, music, tv shows, etc.

Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Home "Server" Library 3 years 3 months ago #39613

• jTenebrous
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm in a similar situation. My comic library on my PC is much larger than the available space on my Nexus 10 tablet. I would love to be able to browse my PC ComicRack library from my tablet and choose which comics to sync individually, without having to create Smart Lists. Right now, I use ES File Explorer to transfer comics manually over my home wifi LAN, but that method loses many of the benefits of syncing. If there is any way of doing this with ComicRack for Android right now, please let me know, otherwise I second the request above. Thanks.

Home "Server" Library 3 years 1 month ago #40035

• dizaster
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,

This exactly what I have been trying to do for the past 2 weeks, but have yet to find away.
I have been told by some to use CIFSmanagers available from Play store but with no success.

All I want to be able to do is put in the shared path for the windows folder, but Comicrack doesnt understand it.

Like most I am forced to Download the comics I want to read before I sit down to relax with a beer and read :-(

Please can Mr Comicrack figure out how to make this easy for us :-)

Cheers

Home "Server" Library 3 years 5 days ago #40546

• rassilon
  • Fresh Boarder
It would be trivially simple if the author would support Dropbox, OneDrive, etc. All it takes is a library call to request permissions, and a prompt asking the user which folder to use.

Home "Server" Library 2 years 6 months ago #41882

• burnshroom
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I was able to get a semi-solution to stream from my server but there is still one issue.

There is an app called CIFS Manager that allows you to mount a network share as a folder on your android device. In my case I have a windows folder D:\Comics shared on my network and is mounted via this app as a folder "mnt/cifs/comics".

I can then point the comicrack app to that folder and it reads from that folder.

Now the only issue is the amount of comics I have in my library and that Comicrack wants to scan everyone into the app. Thus far it has not been able to. So as a result I may have to have a second library without so many comics in it, but it has worked thus far to stream from my network without having to actually load the comics on an SD card.

I will say that CIFS Manager is an OLD app that has not been updated since 2011. It also requires root access(which I have no problem doing). HOWEVER I had an issue in that most new android versions (4.2 and above) don't support cifs. So this lead me to have to use a custom kernel... So this may not be for the faint of heart or technically challenged.

Just thought I would share my experience here.

Edit: I spoke too soon about them not loading into Comicrack. Here is a screenshot:

Last Edit: 2 years 6 months ago by burnshroom.

Home "Server" Library 2 years 5 months ago #41917

It would be lovely to be able to be able to have the "Connect to remote server" option on iPad and android devices. That's one of only 2 things I wish would be changed about comicrack.

I have quite a bit of space taken up on my iPad due to comics, and I've had to unsync comics a few times to make room for other stuff needed/wanted to put on.

I do successfully use remote and local shares to avoid having to have the windows version of comic rack have to scan through comics each time, and it allows me to keep read counts synchronized between everything.

Being able to have the connect to remote server option on mobile would be AMAZING! I would be able to read my comics comfortably on my mobile devices without having to worry about taking up valuable space on said devices.

Home "Server" Library 2 years 5 months ago #42042

• indisent
  • Fresh Boarder
I too would like to be able to stream my library to my tablet. I have a WD Mycloud and it would be great to have access to my over 30GB of comics while away from home. Please make this feature.

Home "Server" Library 1 year 1 month ago #45945

• rassilon
  • Fresh Boarder
I realize this is an old thread, but do we have an progress reports? CIFS Manager isn't an option, as it's no longer available in the Google Play store.

Home "Server" Library 1 year 4 weeks ago #46048

• jimbojnr81
  • Fresh Boarder
Even if it just added the option to enter an IP address to make the wifi sync work on any network, that would be a start.

Home "Server" Library 8 months 1 day ago #46849

• dvpbe
  • Fresh Boarder
Is this development dead? I would give good money for this option.
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds

Who's Online

We have 271 guests and 5 members online