Welcome, Guest
General questions and discussions

TOPIC: Home "Server" Library

Home "Server" Library 10 months 2 weeks ago #46851

• mcpierce
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I'm sorry to say I think the whole project's dead. No updates in a very long time, even simple bug fixes and whatnot.

I sold my Nexus because the Android app wasn't working right any more and no updates.

I'm looking at my iPad, which works better, and see so many features the Android app had that are lacking, like being able to change page types.

I'm considering starting a new project to create the next-gen CBR reader if anybody's interested. My willingness would depend on whether or not I can get others interested in doing such a project and contributing designs and, especially, code.
Check out The Comic Book Update podcast!
www.comicbookupdate.com/
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NoDruid

Home "Server" Library 10 months 1 week ago #46886

• NoDruid
  • Fresh Boarder
The general unhappiness with the current project state and the lack of updates is increasing and there are already some users that offered their support in maintaining the project, so I guess if you could get them on board for a new project you would have a decent starting point. Problem is right now they are scattered in different threads and with the current state I don't think they look around much to see this.

While I'm interested in a CR alternative, I don't know how much help I would be, since til now I have mostly done some private tinkering and university projects, sooo not really big project experience.

Home "Server" Library 10 months 1 week ago #46887

• mcpierce
  • Senior Boarder
A team doesn't need just people to write code: we'd definitely need people with ideas of how to use the app, how to grow the community and the features in a logical way, etc. There's a lot to do to help out.

Not the least of which is getting a good name and basic feature set of what's needed to get it minimally useful.
www.comicbookupdate.com/

Home "Server" Library 10 months 1 week ago #46888

• NoDruid
  • Fresh Boarder
You're right, it would also be a great way to learn and experience new stuff. So if this should happen I would try to help, at the very least with some ideas :laugh: . And while I might not be as much of an expert as other users here, I'm not totally clueless, but most of my experience is in C# and the Unity-GameEngine.

Home "Server" Library 10 months 1 week ago #46889

• mcpierce
  • Senior Boarder
Sounds good to me. :D
www.comicbookupdate.com/

Home "Server" Library 10 months 1 week ago #46890

• NoDruid
  • Fresh Boarder
One other person who tried to get something of the ground was Jupham over at the iOS section:Main Features Desired about 4 months ago.

Home "Server" Library 5 months 1 week ago #47910

• mcpierce
  • Senior Boarder
I’ve started a project called ComixEd to fill the gap at least for myself.

gitlab.com/mcpierce/comixed

My goal at this point is to have it import files from CR, maintain a standalone database for the library’s content, and be the means by which I load comics onto my iPad to read on other readers.

I’ve loved CR for years but I can’t let that limit my ability to read comics on my device. I think it’s time to start moving on.

Any developers who’d like to help, and especially users who have needs they would like to see met, please feel free to join me in this endeavor.
www.comicbookupdate.com/

Home "Server" Library 5 months 1 week ago #47911

• dvpbe
  • Fresh Boarder
not much free time unfortunately (new baby), but i will try to help where i can.

I also can't live without CR, but we got the start facing the facts that this branch has died :'(

Home "Server" Library 5 months 1 week ago #47912

• dvpbe
  • Fresh Boarder
The url gives a 404 my friend. I can see your gitlab page, but it also says no projects.

Home "Server" Library 5 months 1 week ago #47913

• mcpierce
  • Senior Boarder
I think that's because it's still a private project; i.e., I didn't want to open it up until it's close to an initial RC release.

If you can signup with Gitlab I can give you access to the project. Just shoot me your account name.
www.comicbookupdate.com/
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds

Who's Online

We have 240 guests and one member online