Welcome, Guest
Submit ComicRack for Android bugs to get them squashed

TOPIC: Just blank black pages after title

Just blank black pages after title 6 years 4 hours ago #17457

• casketizer
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
A few comics I tried to read just showed blank black pages after the title page. One example was
Aspen Showcase - Grace (2008) (TheCaptain-DCP).cbr (I verified by filehash it is still unaltered)
The files work fine in other viewers.
The only pattern I have observed is that affected files had a winrar main comment present.
Usually this:
Last Edit: 6 years 4 hours ago by casketizer.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Just blank black pages after title 5 years 11 months ago #17601

• casketizer
  • Junior Boarder
Several more ecomics of the Fathom v1 Series will only display blank black pages. Unlike the one from the first post in these not even the tiitle or thumbnails show. The files are normal cb* files and work in perfect viewer. If needed I can put the files on a filehoster.

Re: Just blank black pages after title 5 years 11 months ago #17655

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
I've investigated this a little and I think the problem is that these cbr files are solid archives.
ComicRack for Android does not support solid archives for all the obvious reasons.

[RANT START]
To state it again and again: Creating eComics with RAR is not very clever when there is a faster, better and free container available (CBZ/ZIP).
Now creating solid RAR eComic archives does elevate this problem into a whole new league of crazy. Saving a few KB in the days of TB hard disks and forcing a program when opening page 17 to decode ALL 16 PAGES BEFORE is just stupid.
[RANT END]

Next version will simply ignore solid archives during scanning. You can convert these with ComicRack Windows or better use the sync feature.
Last Edit: 5 years 11 months ago by cYo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shinrai, casketizer

Re: Just blank black pages after title 5 years 11 months ago #17664

• casketizer
  • Junior Boarder
Indeed all affected files are solid rars.
What are "all the obvious reasons", other android viewers (except acv) have no probs with them? Are you using that crappy old javarar lib? It's the only thing I'm aware of that causes problems with solid rars, causes a shitload of probs in ps3mediaserver, too.... You can answer in tech terms I'm a programmer, too, altho never messed with Dalvik....

To give a smartass reply to your rant, In the days of GB of RAM even on phones, wheres the prob in not decoding all pages during load. It takes a few millisecs more at worst.... ;)

But you should direct your rant to the scanners, they do the packing. ;)

I can read the affected files in PV, easier than messing with repackaging....or syncing. I'm not a collector (except a few dear series) and (I'm sorry to say) I went back to good old cdisplay if i read on windows at all, I read 90%+ on the GalaxyTab.
Last Edit: 5 years 11 months ago by casketizer.

Re: Just blank black pages after title 5 years 11 months ago #17665

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
This rant was not directed at you, but at solid archives :)

The main point was not memory (and the last time I checked, multi GB sd cards did cost a few bucks).

The main point was that unpacking page 28 in a solid rar archive means you have to work through all the 27 pages before (kinda unpack them and throw them away instantly).
And when you get to page 29, you start this nice processor and battery hungry game again.

Solid archives for eComics are an invention made in hell.
Last Edit: 5 years 11 months ago by cYo.

Re: Just blank black pages after title 5 years 11 months ago #17944

• casketizer
  • Junior Boarder
Why don't you just unpack Solids to a temp dir while in use? It's what PV seems to do to support them.
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Who's Online

We have 238 guests and one member online