Welcome, Guest
Submit ComicRack for Android bugs to get them squashed

TOPIC: Failed to Delete

Failed to Delete 5 years 11 months ago #17668

• Bob
  • Expert Boarder
Love this program!

When I'm done with a comic I like to delete it from the device. At least on the Motorola Xoom I can't - I get the message "Failed to Delete".

Also, I don't know if it's just me, but whenever I open a comic the first page I get is pure black, then next page is the cover. Anyone else, or is it just the Xoom?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Failed to Delete 5 years 10 months ago #19417

• spexwood
  • Junior Boarder
I am having the the first problem listed (deleting problem) too. I'm.not having the second problem though, but definitely double-check how the comics are packed.

For developer:
I keep all of my comics on my external memory card and it seems like CR is screwing up the read/write permissions of the card or something. I have tested this by doing the steps below, and its pretty odd... scared the crap out of me too because I thought either my card was suddenly bad (1yr old) or that my tablet's card reader went bad.

How I came to the conclusion that CR is the culprit:
1) After a fresh reboot of my tablet, I was able to.copy, move, create, and delete files on my memory card.
2) I opened CR and it refreshed the library on startup like it should
3) From within CR, I tried deleting a comic and I get the message bout it failing to delete
4) After this, I can no longer do anything on my memory card that involves writing to it. My card becomes read-only!
5) The only way to fix the problem is to either reboot my tablet or eject the card and put it back.

PLEASE fix this issue! It isn't a good bug to have!

Btw, I am using an Acer Iconia A500 running Honeycomb 3.2 (stock, but rooted). CR is the donated version 1.37

Re: Failed to Delete 5 years 10 months ago #19418

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
Do you use sync (USB or Wifi)?
Do you get the problem only if you try to delete or also when just reading?

And anyone else having the same problem?
Last Edit: 5 years 10 months ago by cYo.

Re: Failed to Delete 5 years 10 months ago #19419

• cYo
And:

As I'm looking into it, no one else has run into this problem till now and there is a solution (reinserting the card), it would be nice if you could modify your devastating critique in the market.

Reading this, even I would no longer buy ComicRack :)

Re: Failed to Delete 5 years 10 months ago #19422

• cYo
I tested this on my A500 (stock 3.2 unrooted).

There is a bug deleting CBR files (the "can not delete" message). There is no problem switching to a filemanager (in my case File Manager HD) and manually deleting the file. So I'm not able to replicate the "messes my sd card up" behavior.

CBP (the synced eComics) can be deleted but are not removed from the list (instead a white "missing" thumbnails is displayed).

I'm still interested in other A500 (or different model tablet) users and their behavior.

The two bugs I've found will be fixed in the next release.

Re: Failed to Delete 5 years 10 months ago #19423

• spexwood
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for working on a fix. I only post honest reviews and edit them when they need to be changed (ie when this problem is fixed). As this is a pretty major bug for me (disabling SD card write), I posted what happened on the review. Be assured though, once it is fixed, then the review will be changed. Right now though, it is causing me problems not just with CR, but with the rest of my tablet.

I do not sync in any way whatsoever. I only place comics on the card via PC.

I can say for sure that once CR performs a library scan (whether at startup or manually), the SD card suddenly becomes locked and will not allow writing of any kind. Its frustrating because when trying to write files to it when I forget to eject the card OR after starting CR, I am unable to do so. I have to perform a juggling routine in order to get things done on my tablet!

I have NEVER had this issue before (with CR or any other app) and the last installation of CR that I did was actually uninstalling the free edition and installing the donation version. Everything was fine before that.

ALSO: I cannot delete CBR, CBZ, or zip files while in CR... so basically CR isnt just having CBR deleting issues.
Last Edit: 5 years 10 months ago by spexwood.

Re: Failed to Delete 5 years 10 months ago #19425

• cYo
So your issue is that in the moment you start ComicRack your sdcard gets locked into read only mode.

This seems to be such an extraordinary big bug that lots of people would complain about it. I do not know why, but this seems to be a singular issue with your tablet or some configuration of your tablet.

I can not reproduce it even though I have the same tablet (I found 2 other bugs, but not the one with locking the sdcard). It seems also that 10k+ other people did not run into this.

So I actually do not know what to do about it....
Last Edit: 5 years 10 months ago by cYo.

Re: Failed to Delete 5 years 10 months ago #19427

• spexwood
  • Junior Boarder
You always blame my tablet! First the issue with the zip files not saving their read status (which STILL isnt fixed BTW) and now this.
There is NOTHING wrong with my tablet, trust me!!!! I am on STOCK 3.2 and have no issues hardware-wise or saftware-wise until AFTER I installed CR donated.

Like I said, the problems started AFTER installing the donation version of CR and that was the ONLY app installed last. Just because you cannot recreate it doesnt necessarily mean that the problem exists! If you have the mindset of "if everything works on my tablet, then it must be fine" then I am really regretting buying the full version of this app!

I am willing to work with you to get these problems fixed (data logs, etc), but you need to tell me what you need to help you, how to get the info, and how to get it to you.
If you want to leave me with this problem, then I want my money back and I will move back to Komik, which did not have this problem.

EDIT: Also, it isnt that 10k+ people havent run into it, it may just be that 10k+ people are not aware of the issue or have not reported it. Not everyone reports problems when they happen. Some just sit back and hope that they get fixed on their own... like its magic or something.
Last Edit: 5 years 10 months ago by spexwood.

Re: Failed to Delete 5 years 10 months ago #19428

• cYo
No need to get loud. My point was not that "if it is fine on mine it works", but that it seems to be fine on 10k+ other tablets and phones.

If your sdcard is read only than it is absolutely clear that the status is not saved.
And again, you where the only one reporting this bug and I'm not able to reproduce it.

ComicRack does nothing special. It uses normal file IO commands to read files. No system calls to lock sdcards or other stuff. Without more data I can do nothing.

You post the logcat from before ComicRack is starting to starting and then trying to delete a file in the file manager. Maybe this shows what is going on on your tablet.

Re: Failed to Delete 5 years 10 months ago #19430

• spexwood
  • Junior Boarder
Here is the alogcat file

Here are the steps I performed:
1) Fresh Reboot of Tablet
2) Deleted a test file (copy of an actual comic) before starting CR; via HoneyComb FileManager: SUCCESS
3) Deleted a test file before starting CR; via Root Explorer: SUCCESS
3) Open CR (NOTE: I have not tried deleting anything yet via CR; saving that for step 6)
4) Tried deleting a test file via Root Explorer: SUCCESS (WTF)
5) Tried deleting a test file via Honeycomb FileManager: FAIL
6) Tried deleting a test file via CR: FAIL
7) Created LogCat file

Interestingly, Root Explorer still seems to be able to delete files properly whether CR is open or not.
I did not notice this before since I only use Root Explorer when I need access to the system files within root... which is VERY rarely.
Can you see what is going on? Somehow, your app and the filemanager app are interfering with each other in some oddball way. If you can fix it in CR, then please do, but if it is a problem with the Honeycomb FileManager, I will need to report exactly what the issue is to that developer (worked with him before on a HC3.2 issue). I just dont know how to read these log files though and need to be able to tell the other developer what exactly is wrong.
Attachments:
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds

Who's Online

We have 197 guests and 6 members online