Welcome, Guest
Submit ComicRack for Android bugs to get them squashed

TOPIC: Sync is painfully slow

Sync is painfully slow 6 years 2 days ago #18317

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
The sync is very slow, both over wifi and USB. :(

I have 50 books in my Android ComicRack, and its been, like, 1 hour and the sync is at 59%.

Am I the only one having slow sync speeds? :unsure:

Can we somehow improve the sync speed in next updates?

Does anyone have any tips on how to improve sync speed?
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 6 years 2 days ago by 600WPMPO.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Sync is painfully slow 6 years 2 days ago #18319

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
I don't use my phone much, but I think the last time I synced over wifi 100 books that weren't already on the device took only a few minutes, tops.

Re: Sync is painfully slow 6 years 2 days ago #18321

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 109
Check if you are not out of disk space on your C: drive. I had this happen to me once. Since comicrack will convert the files during the sync, if you run out of space, it will hang there for a very long time.

fK

Re: Sync is painfully slow 6 years 2 days ago #18322

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
I checked, and there is quite a lot of space on my C drive (I have a 2TB HD).

The sync finally completed in about 75 minutes. I had 50 books, it added 25 more from the DC-new 52 smartlisrt that I had marked for the sync.

But this is very slow for me. I love it when I sync my iPod with iTunes on my Mac, and it takes only a few minutes to sync gigs of music (these days, I almost exclusively listen to Leonard Cohen bootlegs only B) ) and apps.

Shinrai's reply makes me feel whether something is not right with my setup...? :unsure:
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 6 years 2 days ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: Sync is painfully slow 6 years 2 days ago #18326

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
Does it take that long over USB? Maybe the wifi connection to your phone is just bad.

Re: Sync is painfully slow 6 years 2 days ago #18335

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
Open your system monitor and look at the transfer rates of your network.

The sync is usually network and/or sdcard write speed limited, as CRW on a fairly recent PC will convert eComics to CBP faster than the files can be sent/written to the device.

Re: Sync is painfully slow 5 years 7 months ago #22274

• scnd
  • Fresh Boarder
I hate to make comments on things that I know very little about -- programming is one of them. Still, It seems as if there's an order-of-operations thing going on.

What I think is happening, is that each comic is converted to the android device's preferred medium and then transfered, and then another one gets converted, and transferred, and so on.

Why not have Comic Rack prepare the files to be converted as a background process under normal operation, maybe like a 'prepare to sync' thing? A second operation would transfer all the files over. The same thing would happen on the android side, each time you read through, you update the book's stats and a mega-file (basically an organizational list to tell the PC which files to update). When you sync, you have a process compare the android's mega-file with the to-be-sent list, you update the stats on the files to be transferred, do a final check (convert new comics if needed and so on) and then move everything.

Basically, group the processes, so that everything relevent to one task happens at once so that the time actually connected to the android is minimal.

Then again, I only know a little bit of c++, so i don't know whats reasonable or not.

Re: Sync is painfully slow 5 years 7 months ago #22275

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
Converting is done in a secondary thread.

But this only helps if conversion is faster than transfer. There's even a setting in ComicRack.ini for the conversion-queue size. In same cases (using ghostscript to convert pdfs or building uncached web comics) this does not help as conversion can be slower than the transfer.

Re: Sync is painfully slow 5 years 2 months ago #25510

• xbox1513
  • Fresh Boarder
Sorry to revive a dead topic, but is there a way to sync raw files? What I mean is that is there a way to not have the files converted, so that it copies the exact file with the file name to the device.

Re: Sync is painfully slow 4 years 6 months ago #33633

• FPMPlay
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I know this is an old topic but I am experiencing very slow sync times as well. I synced the the full run of Y: The Last Man (60 books) and it took about 4 hours.

I have my files stored on my home server. I thought the big bottleneck was that it was working over the network. I moved some files to my local drive but did not experience any improvement.

Is there anything I can look at or do to improve this? Is there anyway to sync using a memory card reader instead of going through the tablet?
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds

Who's Online

We have 210 guests and 7 members online