Welcome, Guest
Submit ComicRack for Android bugs to get them squashed

TOPIC: Sync is painfully slow

Re: Sync is painfully slow 4 years 6 months ago #33656

• FPMPlay
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
My math was off. It actually took about 9 hours. I looked at a few transfers and I am getting a rate on average of about 1mb per minute. This is for files located on my local hard drive so there is no network lag to worry about.

I did a quick test with a comic that is 40mb in size. Through the sync process it took 40 minutes to transfer (right at 1mb per min). I then copied the same file through windows explorer into a test folder on the SD card and it took 3 min and 50 secs. If I go ahead and round up to 4 minutes that's a 10th of the time. I thought if there was a bottleneck with the transfer rate of the SD card and tablet's USB interface the results would be close but it obviously is not that.

Any ideas? What kind of transfer speeds are others seeing?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Sync is painfully slow 4 years 6 months ago #33659

• wojosama
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 45
I think something outside of comicrack is causing this. I base that on the 4 minutes for a 40MB file outside of CR. Even on USB 1.1 connection with a class 2 sdcard it should take no more than 30 seconds (USB 1.1 = 1.5MB/s, class 2 sd = 2MB/s). Those are the 2 slowest things you could possibly be using, so even if you're computer was having seizures during the transfer it still shouldn't take anywhere near 4 minutes. While I can't begin to explain the huge discrepancy between CR and standard windows explorer transfer times, I'd start by looking into other possible causes, primarily, your cable. Its usually the number 1 culprit in all problems USB for phones and tablets, even if it appears to be in perfect condition.

As for my personal results, I just used CRW's sync to transfer at least 14 comics, sizes ranging from 20-30MB, in less than a minute. I'm about to go sleep, but for now, if its possible, try a few different cables. If that doesn't work I'll see if I can maybe replicate it or at least see if there's any other info out there. It may very well be a bug, but like I said, explorer should be transferring way faster than that.

Re: Sync is painfully slow 4 years 6 months ago #33685

• FPMPlay
  • Senior Boarder
Okay, the having seizures line was hilarious!

I unfortunately did not have another Micro USB cable to try but I did try a rear USB port vs the front USB port and say an improvement. Just by changing the port (same file, same cable) the windows explorer transfer went from 4 min to 45sec. Unfortunately it still took 30 min to sync via CRW.

I am going to try and buy a new micro USB cable today and see what happens.

Re: Sync is painfully slow 4 years 6 months ago #33688

• wojosama
  • Gold Boarder
FPMPlay wrote:
Okay, the having seizures line was hilarious!

I try. B)

I can absolutely attest to the difference in ports. I have a front USB port as well that's been around for probably 3 different towers now, and it runs like garbage. Nowhere near the specified speeds. It only ever gets used for charging my mouse lol.

Anyhow, make sure wherever you buy the cable from that you can return it. While obviously the port was part of the problem (4min down to 45 secs and 4 hours down to 30min is a huge difference!), the cable may not completely fix it. I'd hate for you to spend money on the cable only to have it not fix the problem and then be stuck with it.

EDIT: Although it is a generally good idea to have a spare cable around. Example: My fiance destroys them like no one's business. I think her tally is sitting at 4.
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by wojosama.

Re: Sync is painfully slow 4 years 6 months ago #33690

• FPMPlay
  • Senior Boarder
Sorry there was a misunderstanding. The earlier 4 hour number was for a large sync and was actually 9 hours.

The latest numbers were for 1 30mb file. It's still taking about 1min per mb when I sync via CRW. The windows explorer copy went from 4min to 45 sec for the same 30mb file.

So I saw improvement through windows explorer but not through CRW.

Again, THANK YOU for helping me trouble shoot this. I really would love to get to more reasonable times like what you are seeing.

Re: Sync is painfully slow 4 years 6 months ago #33709

• FPMPlay
  • Senior Boarder
I have not had a chance to buy a new USB cable but I do have more evidence that your theory is correct. I finally got WiFi syncing working and the time dropped dramatically. The sync time went from an average of about 30 min per book to 30 seconds. So it's really starting to look like its hardware issue.

I will report back after I get the micro USB cable.

Re: Sync is painfully slow 4 years 6 months ago #33720

• FPMPlay
  • Senior Boarder
I may have spoken too soon. It actually zeroed out a lot of my books when I synced over WiFi.

I will investigate this further and report under a separate thread as this may be related to the beta. I bought a Micro USB cable so we will see if this makes a difference.
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by FPMPlay.

Re: Sync is painfully slow 4 years 6 months ago #33725

• wojosama
  • Gold Boarder
Yeah sorry, my bad about the misunderstanding. I read those posts while I was lying in bed last night and then didn't reread them this morning so I guess it all just jumbled together. :unsure:

On a different note, I'm not sure I know what you mean by it zeroed out a lot of your books? Still fairly new to the CR world so apologies if its something obvious lol. Only thing I can think of is you mean that it made them 0 file size?

Anyhow, wifi issues aside, hopefully we can get this worked out for ya. There's probably something easy we're missing, but either way, I'll check back early in the AM to see if you've updated at all, and go from there.

Re: Sync is painfully slow 4 years 6 months ago #33726

• FPMPlay
  • Senior Boarder
Yes that is exactly what I meant. The cbp files were missing and the XML files were 0k in size.

Re: Sync is painfully slow 4 years 6 months ago #33817

• FPMPlay
  • Senior Boarder
I could not get the USB sync to improve past 3-4 min per book over USB but I think it is an issue with my hardware. I finally got WiFi sync working and now I am syncing at speeds ranging from 13 secs to 40 secs.
Time to create page: 0.342 seconds

Who's Online

We have 225 guests and 2 members online