Welcome, Guest
Submit ComicRack for Android bugs to get them squashed
  • Page:

TOPIC: All manual edits of series + title + no. disappeared!!!

All manual edits of series + title + no. disappeared!!! 5 years 9 months ago #20839

• HeartWare
  • Fresh Boarder
I had just finished going through my comics and manually editing the series + no + title for my 800+ comics when all of a sudden they have lost everything I had entered. This should never happen!

Also, my comics are named <Series> <No> - <Title> and this leads to the series name being imported by default as <Series> - <Title> and the number being scanned correctly - except when there are two numbers on the file name.

Take, f.ex., this file name:

Tintin 21 - Flight 714.cbz

This leads to:
Series: Tintin 21 - Flight
Title: (empty)
Number: 714

when it should have been
Series: Tintin
Title: Flight 714
Number: 21

Could you implement this file name format for scanning?

Or is there a way (f.ex. by including a file within the .cbr/.cbz file with a fixed name) to define these values independently of the file name?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: All manual edits of series + title + no. disappeared!!! 5 years 9 months ago #20858

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
I'm sorry to hear that.
Currently data gets updated (or lost) for non synchronized files if the file date changes. I'll change that for the next release.

The name parser is by design this way. Last number in the filename is always interpreted as the issue number. There is no good way to solve this problem, e.g "28 Days later #01.cbz"

Re: All manual edits of series + title + no. disappeared!!! 5 years 9 months ago #20862

• HeartWare
  • Fresh Boarder
The file dates hadn't changed (I had made no file updates, and certainly not all 800+ files at the same time), so it appears that there is a bug in the routine that detects file date changes.

The easy solution to the naming problem is one of two:

Either allow one to specify the naming format one uses, f.ex., by allowing one to enter the string "<Series> <No> - <Title> (<Year>)" which will then tell the parser the format used by that particular user. If no string is defined, fall back to the old method.

Or begin a new standard, f.ex. by searching for a file MetaData.xml inside the .cbr/.cbz file that can define the various fields, as in (f.ex.)

<Comic>
<Series>Tintin</Series>
<Number>21</Number>
<Title>Flight 714</Title>
<Year>1977</Year>
</Comic>

(and whatever other fields you have).

If you start such a standard (and make it an open one, ie. xml format that will allow extensions by other), you can be a trend setter for the future and prevent such accidents from becoming serious (if you could update the file within the .cbr/.cbz file with the data entered by the user, that would be even better).

Re: All manual edits of series + title + no. disappeared!!! 5 years 9 months ago #21146

• HeartWare
  • Fresh Boarder
I have now begun including a file like this

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Comic>
<Series>
<Name>The Original Series</Name>
<Volume>Gold Key</Volume>
<No>23</No>
</Series>
<Title>Child's Play</Title>
</Comic>

named METADATA.XML

in the comic books I process using my own utilities. Could you please add support for reading this information when scanning files and if this file exists, don't parse information from file name, but use this one exclusively?

If you have suggestions for alterations or new fields (probably lots of fields that could be implemented this way, but these are the ones I use at the moment), please let me know, and I'll make sure to have my utilities use them.
METADATA.XML

Re: All manual edits of series + title + no. disappeared!!! 5 years 9 months ago #21151

• cYo
Sorry I will not.
But you can put the same info into ComicInfo.xml with your tools. Not a big code change I guess.

Re: All manual edits of series + title + no. disappeared!!! 5 years 9 months ago #21153

• HeartWare
  • Fresh Boarder
No problem - I just didn't know of the ComicInfo.xml support.

Now to update my 800+ comics with this file :-)

Re: All manual edits of series + title + no. disappeared!!! 5 years 9 months ago #21154

• cYo
Convert them to cbz. Enable writing info to files in CRW.
Scrape your info with the comcvine plugin.

Re: All manual edits of series + title + no. disappeared!!! 5 years 9 months ago #21238

• HeartWare
  • Fresh Boarder
I have now started including ComicInfo.xml in my .cbz files, and generally it works fine...

But... (There's always a but)...

Any file which contain national characters are not recognized. I "escape" them in normal html/xml style, f.ex.

<Series>Luftens ø:rne</Series>

but any file with the entity æ ø& and å are not processed at all.

Any reason for this?

(Using CRA 1.59)

Re: All manual edits of series + title + no. disappeared!!! 5 years 9 months ago #21239

• cYo
What does ComicRack write if you update the data in comcrack and let it create ComicInfo.xml?

Re: All manual edits of series + title + no. disappeared!!! 5 years 9 months ago #21263

• HeartWare
  • Fresh Boarder
It didn't update the file when I edited it in CRA on my TF101.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.338 seconds

Who's Online

We have 257 guests and one member online