Welcome, Guest
Submit ComicRack for Android bugs to get them squashed
  • Page:

TOPIC: Library won't stop refreshing!

Library won't stop refreshing! 3 years 7 months ago #38423

• Voicekiller
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I'm new to Comic Rack as I just switched from an iPad to a Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 running kitkat. I have a class 10 32GB lexar Microsd card that I put my books on. The issue that I am having is that Comic Rack continues to refresh my library the whole time I have the app open. Is this the norm or do I have a legitimate issue? Because it sure is getting aggravating while I'm trying to read. I have tried clearing the app cache and uninstalling and reinstalling. Neither fixed the problem. Also, when trying to delete a book the app crashes. Help me please!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Library won't stop refreshing! 3 years 7 months ago #38462

• Voicekiller
  • Fresh Boarder
Moved library from sd card to internal memory and works fine. If library is put back on sd card issue returns.

Library won't stop refreshing! 3 years 7 months ago #38473

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
Delete your old comic folder on internal memory AND the new one on the SD card.
Clear Data/Cache for CRA.
Start it and set the comic folder to a new one on the SD card.
Tell me if this helps.

Library won't stop refreshing! 3 years 7 months ago #38485

• Voicekiller
  • Fresh Boarder
It corrected the issue! I will let you know if it reoccurs when I add more books. Thank you.

Library won't stop refreshing! 3 years 7 months ago #38486

• spidermitch
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
This is a duplicate post from this thread. I thought it useful to repost here, since this solved not only the refreshing library issue, but issues with Syncing and Pairing as well.

So after some testing, I found that any 3rd app can't write to the extSD card. This led me into researching that issue to find a solution for this one. Bottom line: Android 4.4.2 removes a permission (android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE) which makes many apps that utilize the external SD card for storage/cache/settings/files, etc... mess up.

The primary use for my phone is to copy media to it: comics, books, music, etc... and I use the SD card as primary storage for this purpose. While testing the different apps, I did find a couple of them had done updates which allowed them to manipulate ONLY said file-type on the SD card. I'm not a developer, so I don't know what they did to get it working with their apps. Maybe ComicRack Android can do something like this to .cbp .cbr .cbz... However since comicrack.ini is stored in the folder I chose to store the comics, it was failing to sync & even pair with the device.

My somewhat radical solution (i could have tried syncing everything to the internal SD card, but I want to use my external SD card, dammit!) was to root my phone & add the permission back in. If anyone needs to know how to do this, or wants more info on the 4.4.2 SD card issue, follow this link.

Now that it's rooted & SD permissions fixed, the constant library refreshes (the initial thing i noticed) is gone, and I am able to successfully pair and sync.

I'm still trying to find out if this is completely a Google Android 4.4.2 Kitkat issue or an issue introduced by Samsung's implimentation of 4.4.2. I've seen some say Google, others say Samsung. Either way, removing a user's ability to use their device by blocking direct access to their SD card is wrong.

Library won't stop refreshing! 3 years 7 months ago #38502

• Voicekiller
  • Fresh Boarder
Okay, I added more books last night by plugging my tablet into my PC. Afterwards ComicRack refreshed the library without any issue. But, I have found a new problem. I can select books to delete, I can select delete and hit okay, but the books will not delete. I have to go into the stock file browser to delete books from the SD card. Is this a permissions issue caused by Android 4.4.2 with third party apps?

Library won't stop refreshing! 3 years 7 months ago #38503

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
Voicekiller wrote:
But, I have found a new problem. I can select books to delete, I can select delete and hit okay, but the books will not delete. I have to go into the stock file browser to delete books from the SD card. Is this a permissions issue caused by Android 4.4.2 with third party apps?

I'll look into this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Voicekiller

Library won't stop refreshing! 3 years 6 months ago #38553

• JesseCuster
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Same problem here on a Note 3 with Android 4.4.2.

cYo wrote:
Delete your old comic folder on internal memory AND the new one on the SD card.
Clear Data/Cache for CRA.
Start it and set the comic folder to a new one on the SD card.
Tell me if this helps.

Unfortunately it did not.

spidermitch wrote:
My somewhat radical solution (i could have tried syncing everything to the internal SD card, but I want to use my external SD card, dammit!) was to root my phone & add the permission back in.

Nice research, thanks. But wouldn't rooting void the warranty due to Samsung's eFuse :evil: chip?

spidermitch wrote:
I'm still trying to find out if this is completely a Google Android 4.4.2 Kitkat issue or an issue introduced by Samsung's implimentation of 4.4.2.

All the bug reports from this and the other thread mention GALAXY products... I wouldn't be surprised if this was a Samsung issue. Would be interesting to know if users of other tablets/phones with SD card have the same problem.

Library won't stop refreshing! 3 years 6 months ago #38576

• filar
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi, I got the same issue on my new Galaxy Note 12.2, but solved it by setting the primary directory to an empty directory on the internal SD, and the secondary, read-only directory to the directory on the external SD where I have all my comics.

Library won't stop refreshing! 3 years 6 months ago #38577

• spidermitch
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
JesseCuster wrote:
Nice research, thanks. But wouldn't rooting void the warranty due to Samsung's eFuse :evil: chip?

Actually (not to get too off-topic here), I spoke with a Tier 3 technician to ensure my T-mobile JUMP plan wouldn't be affected by rooting and after reading through what JUMP actually covers and such, he determined that it wouldn't affect it unless you install a different ROM on it. That said, I did use a eFuse resetter (called Triangle Away) just in case which reset the flash counter.

filar wrote:
Hi, I got the same issue on my new Galaxy Note 12.2, but solved it by setting the primary directory to an empty directory on the internal SD, and the secondary, read-only directory to the directory on the external SD where I have all my comics.

After doing this, are you still able to sync to the SD card, or do all comics only write to the internal SD card now?
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by spidermitch.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds

Who's Online

We have 212 guests and 2 members online