Welcome, Guest
Share your ideas

TOPIC: Auto rotation on 2 page spreads

Auto rotation on 2 page spreads 6 years 9 months ago #16988

• tribal
  • Fresh Boarder
Loving the app, but missing a feature that I believe is a must have and a competing Honeycomb app already employs. The option to have the reader automatically rotate to landscape on 2 page spreads and back to portrait on single pages without having to manually rotate the device first. It'd also honor your current zoom options for fit to screen or width.

As a side note, smoothing options (Lanczos, bicubic, bilinear, nearest neighbor) would be a plus too!

Thanks for your hard work!

Edit: I feel I need to be a little bit more clearer, the 2 page spreads would already be formatted for landscape view, you don't actually see rotation happening as you would now, like when the cbr/z is loaded I guess.
Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by tribal.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Auto rotation on 2 page spreads 6 years 9 months ago #16989

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
So you want the device to tell you that you should rotate now, instead of deciding on your own?

Re: Auto rotation on 2 page spreads 6 years 9 months ago #16990

• tribal
  • Fresh Boarder
Eh, not quite. The app I was referring to, Komik, once you moved onto the next page, you'd notice the view was in landscape because it recognizes it as a 2 page spread and formatted it that way.

I just loaded up the app, and something I noticed, the status bar stays in its portrait position, but the actual view of the comic is in landscape.

Re: Auto rotation on 2 page spreads 6 years 9 months ago #16991

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
On devices with large screen ComicRack is setup so that landscape mode defaults to 2 page display. So if you rotate your device it goes into 2 page display (on small devices you have to change the default, but there it does not make much sense anyway).

So when I read in portrait and a double page comes up and I do not want to scroll over it (manual with dragging or automatic by simply tapping on the right border). I just turn it and vola I have the page in double page display.

So if I get you correctly you want that the reader forces you to rotate your device now, instead of letting you decide?

Note also that in portrait ComicRack even when set to fit width, never displays double page spreads in full (which does not make sense), but only one half of it.
Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by cYo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tribal

Re: Auto rotation on 2 page spreads 6 years 9 months ago #16993

• tribal
  • Fresh Boarder
That sounds about right. Either that or an unintrusive notification or icon notifying the user "hey this is a 2 page spread, rotate your device". Some of the books I read that have 2 page spreads, I don't realize they do because either the art is segregated like it's a single page or most of the action is seen on the left page. Currently I would only know if I read the book before, rotated the device preemptively or tap the middle of the screen for the page browser.

Re: Auto rotation on 2 page spreads 6 years 9 months ago #17010

• lanzajr26
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
For the record, this was my least favorite feature of Komic. I'd prefer a page overlay on-screen so know it's a two a pager and I can choose to slide over to the second half or rotate on my own. But if it's put in as an option it adds some flexibility to the reader.

Re: Auto rotation on 2 page spreads 6 years 9 months ago #17019

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
I am with cYo in that I just don't understand what on earth this adds except being a huge annoyance, but I guess I can't see any reason it shouldn't be there if there is a demand for it.

Re: Auto rotation on 2 page spreads 6 years 9 months ago #17025

• tribal
  • Fresh Boarder
I can forego the rotation if there was a way for the app to alert you there's a 2 page spread.

Re: Auto rotation on 2 page spreads 6 years 9 months ago #17034

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
Ah, maybe that's just why I'm not quite grasping the reasoning; I've never had difficulty telling if I'm looking at a two-page spread. I can see how it might be useful in that case.

Re: Auto rotation on 2 page spreads 6 years 9 months ago #17048

• tribal
  • Fresh Boarder
Saw the feature was added in. Works great! Thanks cYo!
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds

Who's Online

We have 155 guests and 2 members online