Share your ideas
  • Page:

TOPIC: Comicvine scraper

Re: Comicvine scraper 5 years 11 months ago #17988

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 108
apoapostolov wrote:
Windows 8 will be great, fast and run on ARM nobody will admit it's good - but 10.8 comes out with sandboxed-only Mac apps and Siri, everyone is riding unicorns to work!

This is one of the misconceptions. Windows 8 will run on ARM but no current app will run on arm windows, only WinRT apps ("metro" apps) will run on it.

Also, i dislike apple just as much, thank you. And i have nothing against windows 8 on a tablet. Its very good actually. But not on a desktop.

fK
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Comicvine scraper 5 years 11 months ago #18001

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
Shinrai wrote:
That chart doesn't work because it skips 2000...

Actually, if my memory serves me right, Windows ME was the consumer version of Windows 2000 just like Windows 95 was the consumer version of Windows NT. In that case, that would make the chart still right on the money. B)

Re: Comicvine scraper 5 years 11 months ago #18002

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 503
Wasn't Windows ME just a (barely functional) extension of Windows 98? I thought it was sort of the last in that line of Windows releases (95, 98, ME). Then came Windows 2000, which was a different thing altogether, being based on the Windows NT kernel. And Windows 2000 became the father of the windows line that still lives on today: Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7.

At least, that's how I remember it.

Still doesn't make me optimistic about Windows 8 though.

Re: Comicvine scraper 5 years 11 months ago #18003

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
cbanack's got it, yeah. 2000 and ME were totally disparate - 2000 used the NT kernel just like XP. It was the first consumer NT build. ME was just a build on the 95 kernel.
Last Edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Shinrai.

Re: Comicvine scraper 5 years 11 months ago #18004

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
Remember, back then, Microsoft had two separate versions of Windows. One version marketed to the consumer and one version marketed to the business/enterprise. So you had Windows '95 for the consumer and Windows NT for the business. Then, Windows '95 was so buggy that they released Windows '98 to the consumer, which was a really solid (for back in those days) version once the SP2 patch came out. Then Microsoft came out with Windows ME (Millennium Edition - ergo 2000) for the consumer and Windows 2000 for the business. Also recall that back then, NT and 2000 were more tailored for servers/office workstations and '95, '98 and ME were more geared towards the home desktop.
Then after the total fail of ME, they finally got the bright idea to combine the best of the consumer line and the business/server line and produced Windows XP...which is why XP was the best for so long.
Then of course we all know how crappy Vista turned out to be. I know, cuz I had a laptop running Vista for years until I finally just got a new laptop with Windows 7. The two are like night and day. I will say that it also does help that hardware today can much better handle the demands of Vista/7 then hardware of 4 years ago could (at least when it comes to laptops).

So, yes I do agree that 2000 and ME are totally separate. The point I was making originally was that 600WPMPO's attachment was only referring to the consumer versions of Windows back when it was a separate product before being combined with Windows XP. That's all. :)
Last Edit: 5 years 11 months ago by oraclexview.

Re: Comicvine scraper 5 years 10 months ago #18915

Win8 on ARM will not run desktop software... MS backtracked on this one and it is a reasonable call. However, it should be easy enough to migrate code to Metro app.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Who's Online

We have 127 guests and 6 members online