Welcome, Guest
Share your ideas

TOPIC: Preserve read status after update OR status backup/restore option

Preserve read status after update OR status backup/restore option 5 years 9 months ago #19828

• spexwood
  • Junior Boarder
Sorry, but its me again.

CR gets updated quite a bit, and I have noticed that after these most recent updates, the read/unread status of my comics (now all in CBZ format BTW) gets reset. Page bookmarks are also affected.

I would like to suggest some way of allowing the read status to be preserved so that if CR is updated, these statuses and bookmarks won't be reset. (I am always having to go through my library and mark certain comics as "read" again: especially the very long comics with several hundred pages contained within a single file)

Ideas:
1) (my personal preference) Add two options to CR: First, a backup option that will allow the user to manually save a backup (or multiple backups) of the library database to either a default folder, or to a location of their choice. The file can also be named before the backup. Second, a restore option that can read the backup files, load them, and refresh the library to properly display the chosen backup file.
This idea would be best IMO, as it will also allow the user to switch between multiple libraries, such as having two different memory cards with different comics on them or two different comic storage locations (such as one on the internal SD and the other on external). The user could switch between these libraries, backing up before the switch, and restoring after the switch.

2) (probably tedious) Have the read status saved to the comic file itself. (in other words, CR puts the status into the ZIP, CBR, CBZ, etc file)

3) (possibly easiest) Simply make it so that the database (or whatever) after an update.
Last Edit: 5 years 9 months ago by spexwood.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Preserve read status after update OR status backup/restore option 5 years 9 months ago #19830

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
This should not happen...
This stuff is stored in the database and should be unaffected by any update.

Anyone else?
Or alternatively, does it not happen for someone?

Re: Preserve read status after update OR status backup/restore option 5 years 9 months ago #19832

• spexwood
  • Junior Boarder
I hope it isn't just me again :C

I should probably mention this though:
What happens is that I update the program through Market and upon the first run of the new app version, it rebuilds my library/database automatically, even though the original one should be fine... I think, since I don't really know what happens to the database during an update. Anyways, I have no say in the matter since it occurs when the app first loads after the update.
Last Edit: 5 years 9 months ago by spexwood. Reason: typo

Re: Preserve read status after update OR status backup/restore option 5 years 9 months ago #19834

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
If you uninstall CRA the library gets deleted. So a simple update should be fine.
Uninstall/reinstall not.

You can tell if your database has been deleted when you get the "adding new book" message in the splash screen.
Last Edit: 5 years 9 months ago by cYo.

Re: Preserve read status after update OR status backup/restore option 5 years 9 months ago #19850

• spexwood
  • Junior Boarder
I dont think I am getting that exact message (I cant remember honestly), but the first load after the update takes a long time as though it is rebuilding the library or something.
Normally, once the app has built the library, all app starts afterwards will load pretty fast. After an update though, the first load will take a while (3 to 5 minutes; I have a lot of comics too), and then after that, all other starts will be fast again (between 5 and 15 seconds).

Just to set the record too since you just mentioned uninstalling and all that, I am only clicking the update button from the Market and am not uninstalling the app beforehand. I know you were not saying that I was doing that, but I just want to be sure that it was known what I was doing. ;)

Re: Preserve read status after update OR status backup/restore option 5 years 9 months ago #19867

• spexwood
  • Junior Boarder
OK, I have an update... and I hate saying it (lol) but I guess it was me after all, but I don't quite know why.
Yesterday, I cleared CR's cache and settings, then actually uninstalled the app completely and then reinstalled. Then, just a moment ago, I got a notification of app updates and CR was one of those apps. So, I updated to 1.46 and the read statuses were kept.
I have no clue why it worked OK now; whether it was the cache clearing, settings resetting, or the un/reinstallation last night... or if you changed something in the app. But, for at least the 1.46 update, everything was kept afterwards.

ANYWAYS, I would still like to request an option for loading different libraries for different locations or different memory cards. It would be nice to swap memory cards with different comics on them and be able to keep read statuses between those swaps.
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds

Who's Online

We have 244 guests and 6 members online