Welcome, Guest
Share your ideas
  • Page:

TOPIC: Option to sort by the original readinglist position

Option to sort by the original readinglist position 5 years 3 months ago #23570

• Brainard
  • Fresh Boarder
Okay, I will explain this one:

Once i sync a readinglist from windows to my tablet I lose the order I carefully used in my reading list.
I can sort by series, story line, published or by filename, but what i would really need is the ability to sort by the original readinglist position so i can start reading the books in the right order without the need for an extra reading order.

Now I don't know if this is a lot of work to add this to comicrack as i am not a developer, but I imagine I am not the only one that would love this option as the reading lists are getting more popular and more used on the android version as well.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Option to sort by the original readinglist position 5 years 3 months ago #23610

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
What you want is simply 'not sorted' - this reverts to the original order of the list.

Re: Option to sort by the original readinglist position 5 years 3 months ago #23612

• Empty0ne
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I just ran into this problem, and found a solution. In Edit --> Devices, uncheck the box that says "Sort By" so it is greyed out. Then re-sync your device. On your device, choose to view by cover view, and sort by "Not Sorted"

Re: Option to sort by the original readinglist position 5 years 3 months ago #23620

• Brainard
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks a lot guys!

This makes me very happy!

My apologies for not figuring this out myself, but I got so caught up in trying to find a sorting function for the original list position that I overlooked the most obvious solution.

Ah well. It's solved now :laugh:
Last Edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Brainard.

Re: Option to sort by the original readinglist position 5 years 3 months ago #23795

That's great that there's a workaround, but this is still an issue for me as well, and it is not very intuitive to get this functionality. New users will be baffled about this due to what seems to be the default functionality built into the Devices settings and the Android app - It almost seems to force you to use the sort settings included.

I would like a dedicated "list sort" or "list order" in both at some point to make it clear and to be certain that books are sync'd and displayed in the order you want. Having a limit on the number of books in a list that you sync can cause reading order problems, and having to re-sync every few issues can be a pain as it takes a while to do so via wifi sync.

Anyway, that's just my two cents :)

Re: Option to sort by the original readinglist position 5 years 3 months ago #23797

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
MonkeyJamboree wrote:
That's great that there's a workaround, but this is still an issue for me as well, and it is not very intuitive to get this functionality. New users will be baffled about this due to what seems to be the default functionality built into the Devices settings and the Android app - It almost seems to force you to use the sort settings included.

I would like a dedicated "list sort" or "list order" in both at some point to make it clear and to be certain that books are sync'd and displayed in the order you want. Having a limit on the number of books in a list that you sync can cause reading order problems, and having to re-sync every few issues can be a pain as it takes a while to do so via wifi sync.

MonkeyJamboree, this is not a workaround. This is how you get your lists to sort in their original position. In ComicRack for Windows you uncheck the "Sort By" option box. This lets the app know that you want to SYNC the books in their original position. Then, in ComicRack for Android, when viewing your reading lists you select the "Not Sorted" option to let that app know you want to READ the books in their original position.
Granted, this may not be immediately obvious for some, though it does make perfect sense. Also, since these are both options you can select I don't understand how you can get more dedicated than that. Though, if by this, you mean that you would like this to always be a permanent setting for each new list you create in Windows and each new list you read in Android then yes, I can see this being a future preference feature request for both apps.

ps - after re-reading your post, I noticed that you may be saying you would like the list you have selected in the Devices section to sync each book in the exact order that they are positioned in the list because you have lists that you are trying to sync which are larger than the storage space you have on device. If this is what you are saying, then you could request that a future release adds the ability to check the devices available storage space first before it begins the sync, and if there isn't enough space for the complete list, give the user a warning dialog and option to cancel or change sync options. Until that feature is added, if ever added, I would first check if your device can store the complete list before attempting to sync the complete list. If not, then break the list into a smaller set of list that can be completely synced to your device without available storage space issues.
Last Edit: 5 years 3 months ago by oraclexview.

Re: Option to sort by the original readinglist position 5 years 3 months ago #23798

oraclexview wrote:
MonkeyJamboree wrote:

MonkeyJamboree, this is not a workaround. This is how you get your lists to sort in their original position. In ComicRack for Windows you uncheck the "Sort By" option box. This lets the app know that you want to SYNC the books in their original position. Then, in ComicRack for Android, when viewing your reading lists you select the "Not Sorted" option to let that app know you want to READ the books in their original position.
Granted, this may not be immediately obvious for some, though it does make perfect sense. Also, since these are both options you can select I don't understand how you can get more dedicated than that. Though, if by this, you mean that you would like this to always be a permanent setting for each new list you create in Windows and each new list you read in Android then yes, I can see this being a future preference feature request for both apps.

ps - after re-reading your post, I noticed that you may be saying you would like the list you have selected in the Devices section to sync each book in the exact order that they are positioned in the list because you have lists that you are trying to sync which are larger than the storage space you have on device. If this is what you are saying, then you could request that a future release adds the ability to check the devices available storage space first before it begins the sync, and if there isn't enough space for the complete list, give the user a warning dialog and option to cancel or change sync options. Until that feature is added, if ever added, I would first check if your device can store the complete list before attempting to sync the complete list. If not, then break the list into a smaller set of list that can be completely synced to your device without available storage space issues.

I was not actually talking about the storage space issue, as I specifically have many reading lists only sync about 10 or 20 issues at a time so I can manage my own space on the device (which is actually not all that limited, but I have other apps that sync automatically, and the device is my phone, so I prefer to manage my own data... but I digress).

I was saying that the way to sync and sort comics between the main PC program and the Android app is not intuitive. Yes, that may be how it works, but upon reading on the Android app, one could potentially think that "Not Sorted" actually just throws them in the order they were sync'd or whichever comic is read logically by the application, or some other vague way that isn't immediately obvious by the description.

As for the PC program in the Devices settings, it seems to me that it is equally as vague, as it suggests that the pc program is dictating how things are sorted (as opposed to a "sync order" of sorts), and also does not clearly indicate that you specifically want the issues to sync in the order that you have in your list.

As for stating that it's a "workaround," I apologize. I merely gathered that it was from others stumbling upon the way to do this in this thread seemingly by accident. To me, this says that it is indeed not intuitive and may require a change at some point, even if it is just a preference change or some other tweak. I was not saying "dedicated" in that the current way was not designed as such, but more that it was unclear in how to reach those specific results from the available settings, or that people may prefer to see it and specifically enforce that unstated order.

I appreciate the response. I am just providing feedback on how things work now and how they may potentially be improved. I apologize if this is not the correct place for said feedback - it just seemed to be something missing, and as such, I responded to the most likely, most recent place it was mentioned. Please try not to take this as negative criticism at all. I love ComicRack, have purchased the Android app, plan to donate for the PC program, and have recommended it to friends many times over (now that the file writing preferences have changed).

Keep up the great work, guys!

Re: Option to sort by the original readinglist position 5 years 3 months ago #23799

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
@MonkeyJamboree - no worries at all my friend. I basically understood what you were saying, and my posted response was less for you and more for others as a whole who may read this thread, and just wanted to try and clear things up a bit better for them.

I completely agree that the current way to get books in list to display in Android in the original order they are displayed in Windows isn't the most intuitive so your great feedback is always welcome just as are everyone else who gives their feedback.

So, as an official suggestion to cYo to look into when time permits is:
  1. in ComicRack for Windows, is it possible to give a user the option to universally set all checked list for sync as "Sort By" unchecked as well as future created lists
  2. in ComicRack for Android, is it possible to give the user the option to set the default for all lists as "Not Sorted"
  3. in ComicRack for Windows, add the ability to check the device's available storage space first before it begins the sync, and if there isn't enough space for the complete list, give the user a warning dialog and option to cancel or change sync options.

Thank you!

Re: Option to sort by the original readinglist position 5 years 3 months ago #23807

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
I actually agree that it should be called "List Order" or something like that.

Re: Option to sort by the original readinglist position 5 years 3 months ago #23808

• Empty0ne
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Shouldn't the default be the most obvious choice? If I manually create a reading list, when I go to read that list, then I would expect that list to be in the order I designated. I shouldn't have to change a setting to keep it in the order of how I chose to place it.

Since it is an option, with an on/off switch, I think the option should be off, then if you want that functionality, you can go and turn it on. That seems like the most user friendly option.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds

Who's Online

We have 171 guests and 7 members online