Welcome, Guest
Share your ideas

TOPIC: Update file link in comics manually

Update file link in comics manually 3 months 4 weeks ago #48924

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 142
I know CR is probably dead, but just in case I add this topic before I forget XD

CR manage comics separetely in the files and in its database... only linking them by the field "file name"

If you, for example move a file in your HDD, then in CR you lose the link and the comic is then left as a "fileless comic"

Then if you want to readd the file, or you move the file and rename it EXACTLY as the link in the database, or you delete the comic and readd them... losing all not infile saved data...

What I am asking for is the ability to, with a button for example inside the comic properties, "update" the link... open a windows files window and choose which file to link the database comic... so for example, if you renamed the file by mistake, you just update the path there and everything works fine!

Edit: Thinking about it, I can make an script that do this... mmmh... XD
Last Edit: 3 months 4 weeks ago by Xelloss.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Update file link in comics manually 3 months 5 days ago #49206

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 142
I just made a little script for this:

File Attachment:

File Name: ChangeFileLink.zip
File Size:1 KB

(as usual copy the py file to the script folder)

For using just do a right click in the comic you want to update the file link (it can be a comic with file link corrupted) and go to Automation, Change File Link. A Windows file dialog will open to select the file you want the book to be linked to, with all the data in ComicRack intact....

This is mostly to fix comics in the database with broken links, but you can also use it to update the comic version by linking the comic to a new file... (remember the data in CR will not change after changing the file). The other way to do dat before, that I knew of at least, was to copy the file exactly to the path and name of the path in the comic entry... which was a headache for doing with multiple files.

I really think this should be an option in ComicRack... Perhaps it is and I don't know how to do it, but at least I can do it now with this XD

ps: You can select multiple comics, and select the files one by one :P

edit: If you don't understand what this does, just think as comics in ComicRack as shortcuts in windows, and not files. This script let you edit the path and name of the file it goes to, letting you keep all the other info stored in the shortcut.

It is probably this script can evolve later to one that fix file links based on automatic rules (for example searching for comics with the same name and number in the same folder), but for now you can at least do it manually and being sure it is correctly fix (and in different folders)
Last Edit: 3 months 5 days ago by Xelloss.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rmagere
Time to create page: 0.478 seconds

Who's Online

We have 265 guests and 2 members online