Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack for Android users

TOPIC: Scraping with Comic Vine

Scraping with Comic Vine 5 years 6 months ago #22472

Hello fellow users,

I have ComicRack v1.62 (full version)on my Acer A500 Android Tablet. It is a great program and I really like it.

One small problem I have when I add new comics. It scrapes the Comic Vine web site and screws up some of my comic titles causing them to be out of order (ie Batman - The Dark Knight Returns has different titles on Comic Vine for the four comic issues).

How can you turn off the scraping? If you can't, can this be an added feature?

Thanks for looking!
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by moviewatcher666.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Scraping with Comic Vine 5 years 6 months ago #22497

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 503
Hmm, I think you might be mistaken about what's happening.

As far as I'm aware, the only way to scrape data from the Comic Vine website is to use the Comic Vine Scraper plugin, which does not exist on the Android version of Comic Rack. And even on the Windows version of ComicRack, you have to download the plugin and run it in order to scrape any information from Comic Vine.

In other words, when you add new comics, there shouldn't be any Comic Vine scraping occurring.

When you add new comics, ComicRack DOES try to automatically collect some information (like comic titles) out of the filenames of your comic files. Perhaps you files are not named consistently, so ComicRack is finding different names or issue numbers for them?

If that's the case, you could rename the files before you add them to Comic Rack...
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by cbanack.

Re: Scraping with Comic Vine 5 years 6 months ago #22514

Thanks for the reply, cbanack.

That is really odd. It is definitely downloading information from somewhere because I change the information for the comics in ComicRack on my tablet. When I turn off the tablet then turn back on again and start ComicRack, the title has been changed back again to the "scraped" data (which is not what I want).

When I look at the Notes under Information for the comic in questions it says "Scraped metadata from Comicvine [CVDB26276] on 2010.10.29 20:47:32".

I use a fairly consistent method of naming my files (ie Batman - The Dark Knight Returns 001, Batman - The Dark Knight Returns 002, etc). So I think the data in ComicRack should be OK. For the most part all my comics titles are fine except for the Dark Knight ones for example. When I look on Comicvine website, the titles are like they are on the website.

Any other suggestions?

Re: Scraping with Comic Vine 5 years 6 months ago #22515

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
if you aren't scraping the comics yourself, it could be that the person you're downloading them from had scraped the data, which would override any naming scheme you use, and explain why you have the "scraped metadata" tag.
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

Re: Scraping with Comic Vine 5 years 6 months ago #22516

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 503
Yup, looks like they were scraped before you got them, or perhaps you scraped them a couple years ago while using ComicRack for Windows...?

Anyway, there's no hidden scraping or updating going on now--not unless you're re-scraping them by using the Comic Vine Scraper plugin on Windows. And there's no way you'd be doing that without realizing it.

In the Windows version of ComicRack, there is a "Clear Data" feature that you can use to delete all metadata (including the stuff scraped by Comic Vine Scraper.) Or you could just (bulk) edit the titles for your Comic scans--after that, they won't "change back" unless you rescrape them. I'm not sure if ComicRack for Android lets you do either of those things, though. If not, you could always grab the Windows version to use for cleaning up your library.

Re: Scraping with Comic Vine 5 years 6 months ago #22517

OK....I looked into the CBR file for the comics in questions and there is an old XML file from when I had ComicRack for Windows installed on my computer (I don't have it installed now). That is where the data is coming from.

Problem solved. I took out the XML file from the CBR and my file names stay as I want them.

Thanks for the help.
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds

Who's Online

We have 204 guests and 9 members online