Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack for Android users

TOPIC: Android App help please

Android App help please 5 years 5 months ago #23007

Hello everyone. I have a small issue with the android app. I don't do the sync because I just don't like that system. Heck, it's my whole reason for buying an Android tablet. I had an iPhone and didn't like the fact I had to sync files on and off of if. I like drag and drop.

I got some ecomics and wanted to be able to read them on my tablet, but comixology can't read .cbr files. So some google searching led me to the comicrack app. I put a comic series 336 issues long into the comic folder, and the app was able to see them. Here's the problem. About 6 of the issues can't be viewed. When I try, I get this error "solid cbr ecomics not supported, see the FAQ". Not only does the FAQ link in the app not open a page, but I can't find anything here on the site to explain this. All the files are the exact same type, so I don't know why it will open the other 330, but not those 6. Anybody have any idea what the problem is? Or do I just need to find a new comic reader for my tablet?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Android App help please 5 years 5 months ago #23008

Oops, I just realized I put this in the wrong forum... Can a moderator movie to the Android forum?

Re: Android App help please 5 years 5 months ago #23013

• Stonepaw
  • Thank you received: 267
Moved.

From Android FAQ
Why does CRA not support solid CBRs?

Solid CBRs are rar archives created with the solid option turned on. This means that the whole archive is one big chunk (and will be a few kb smaller). The consequence for the reader is, that to unpack e.g. page 7 the decompression process has to work through page 1-6 and then can start decompressing page 7. And when you want to open page 8 you start again from the beginning this time working through 1-7 and so on (and now think this through with a 500 page manga). On top of this RAR has a very memory intensive and slow decompression process.

The only valid option to work with solid archives is to decompress the whole thing at the beginning, but this seems to be against the whole idea of a page based container format (and again think this through with a 500 page manga). It also doubles the space needed on the device.

And all this for naught. Best container for comics is a zero compression zip file. What people do not understand is that the images are already compressed. Adding one compression above another is mostly useless and in the case of solid CBRs even harmful (more memory, sdcard space and processor power=battery needed).

CRW supports solid archives, but of course has much more memory, much more page caching and much faster processors.

CRA will not support solid CBRs.

You will have to convert the files. You can use ComicRack Windows to convert them (Right click->Export) or just extract the images from the rar file and put them in a zip file. (CBR is just a renamed RAR file and CBZ is renamed ZIP)
Last Edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Stonepaw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Insane Galvatron

Re: Android App help please 5 years 5 months ago #23015

I had to unzip one earlier to rename the image of one of the pages because it ended up out of order. I then re zipped the images as a .rar and then renamed it .cbr. I have no idea how to make one solid or not, so I don't know if it did or not. I also have no idea how to un-solid one unless that is the default on a new .rar on my computer.

Thanks for the answer. :)

Re: Android App help please 5 years 5 months ago #23026

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
@Insane Galvatron - I know you said that you don't like to sync your devices to your PC, though I thought I'd point out that one of the benefits of syncing ComicRack for Android with ComicRack for Windows is it auto converts and optimizes your files for your device so that you can view them all. This would correct your solid CBR files for you on the fly. Just a little tip for you if you ever did decide to use the sync feature.

Re: Android App help please 5 years 5 months ago #23037

Thanks for the tip, but my experiences with Apple and iTunes have SERIOUSLY tainted the whole syncing process for me. I'm adamantly against it due to the lack of control it gives. Now I know it's not entirely the same here since I still can do drag and drop ( my problem with apple ios products ), but I just don't like the idea anymore.

Re: Android App help please 3 years 9 months ago #37771

• gebakkenei
  • Fresh Boarder
I know all the reasons not to support it,.... but a [convert] button in the app would come in real handy.
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds

Who's Online

We have 206 guests and 10 members online