Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack for Android users
  • Page:

TOPIC: Which E-reader is best for comic books???

Which E-reader is best for comic books??? 5 years 1 month ago #25143

• MARIA2662
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi everyone B)

I'm travelling around Asia as of the 1st October and NEED to have a way of reading comic books and downloading new ones whilst I'm away. I've been looking at all the various e-readers, but unsure which one would be best to support comic books etc....

If anyone reads a lot of comics on their e-reader or knows of a e-reader that is best suited for comics, I would be most grateful for your advice on this :lol: Would obviously want it in colour, long battery life and big memory if possible :)

Thanks for your help on this :D

Maria
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Which E-reader is best for comic books??? 5 years 1 month ago #25155

• jjpike
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I don't know if it would be considered an E-Reader, but I very much like my Asus Transformer. The screen is large enough that I can read my comics a full page at a time in portrait mode.

Re: Which E-reader is best for comic books??? 5 years 1 month ago #25165

• jp
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I'm a big believer in the the Asus Transformer as well. I have the TF101 and it's still amazing, has great quality and runs great. I've seen the quality on the newest one and has me ready to switch, just have to fit it in the budget. I also read my comics on my Samsung Galaxy Note phone (phablet), and it's pretty good on that too.

Re: Which E-reader is best for comic books??? 5 years 1 month ago #25192

• Fuzzyluzzi
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 44
I've never tried reading any CBZs on the original nook or kindle. They both can read greyscale JPG. The color eReaders Nook & Fire are being quickly outclassed by newer full android 7" tablets. They just came out with a kids tablet priced same as Fire with HDMI,SD and camera. I use the nook tablet cause it has the sd slot for more memory but was also purchased last November. Best option now is skip the ereader and spend the extra $50 and get a full tablet.

Re: Which E-reader is best for comic books??? 5 years 1 month ago #25244

• MARIA2662
  • Fresh Boarder
Cheers guys :laugh:

Looks like a tablet is the way forward after all!

Thank you very much for all the advice, muchly appreciated! xxxx
Last Edit: 5 years 1 month ago by MARIA2662.

Re: Which E-reader is best for comic books??? 5 years 1 month ago #25345

• manders2600
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
I guess it depends on how much you want to spend, and personal preference to a degree.

The determinant factors (for me) are:

1. Screen size
2. Screen resolution
3. Screen Quality
4. Weight

In the $500-$600 range, you could go with one of two options. The first, the Asus Transformer Infinity (TF700), has a 1920 x 1200 Super IPS+ LCD display and weighs 1.29 lbs, making it the highest-resolution, highest-quality screen, with the lightest weight of any 10" Android tablet. Alternatively, if you are okay with 1280 x 800 on a 7.7" screen, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 has a gorgeous SAMOLED Plus display, which gives much deeper blacks, and weighs in at 0.75 lbs.

Right now, at least, for my money, those are the two best options available.

At the moment, I think the Transformer Infinity provides too much value in other areas to consider anything else, but of course this all depends on how you plan on using it.

Re: Which E-reader is best for comic books??? 5 years 1 month ago #25424

• MARIA2662
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the advice and picking out particular models :)

I'm thinking of going for a tablet laptop now as Fuzzyluzzi made a good point of spending the extra...plus I'll be using it for work as well as writing up word documents, listening to music, watching films maybe...instead of getting a e-reader and a new laptop may spend a bit more and get a good tablet...

Basically what I'm after (aware I maybe asking for the impossible!) tablet laptop (or a device that has a physical keyboard for when I'm working) something I can download and read comics on as well as other books, large storage capacity, webcam, good microphone and sound...wireless usage preferred and long battery life...

:silly: Does such a device exist? Ha ha!

Cheers guys :)

Re: Which E-reader is best for comic books??? 5 years 1 month ago #25427

• manders2600
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Well, the answer is a little bit dependent on how you want to prioritize things. Sorry, this is going to be a LONG post, lol.

To make a long story short, I would personally go with the Asus Trasformer Infinity and its keyboard/battery dock.

First, any Android tablet (Asus Transformer series, Acer Iconia Tab, Samsung Galaxy Tab series, Motorola Xoom and Xyboard, etc) will run ComicRack for Android, and a bluetooth keyboard can be purchased for any of them.

Android should also be fine for productivity software, as Google has its own "Google Docs" suite, which can save documents as MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files, and Microsoft is rumored to be releasing MS Office for Android and iOS in November. Finally, the best-selling productivity app for Android and iOS (QuickOffice, which allows you to create and edit documents either internally, or on Google Docs, Dropbox, Box.net, save them as MS Office or OpenOffice files, etc) was just purchased by Google in June, so presumably its features will be folded into Google's services for free, though you can still currently purchase that program.

Where an Android tablet falls short (literally) is with respect to size options. Currently, the largest models come in 10.1" diagonal screen size, while most laptops are 13" or larger. While the higher resolution of the Asus Transformer Infinity (1920 x 1200) should alleviate some of the strain, I would personally not want to sit and work at a small screen for more than a couple of hours at a time. This is entirely personal preference, though, so if you have the time and money, it might be a good idea to purchase from a retailer with a good return policy and try it out.

Windows tablets are available in larger sizes, but they typically weigh 3-4 lbs at minimum (compared to 1.3-1.6 lbs on an Android tablet), and have much shorter battery life (2-4 hours of continuous use compared with most Andorid and iOS tablets 8-10 hours). The weight difference might not seem like much on paper, but the difference becomes hugely apparent when holding a tablet in one hand for 30-45 seconds. By way of example, the original iPad weighs in at 1.6 lbs, while the iPad 2 weighs 1.33 lbs, and they feel so COMPLETELY different that this became a main selling point. Since, on any tablet larger than 7"-8", your hand will not completely wrap around the tablet ("palming" it, so to speak) you will be gripping the bezel on one edge, and weight (and its distribution) becomes a concern.

As far as storage, there are essentially 3 types that can be used in tablets. All tablets come with internal storage (between 8GB-64GB, depending on the model), and most have a slot to insert a microSD card (offering an additional 2GB-64GB, depending on the microSD card purchased). A couple of tablets have a full-size SD card slot, allowing for an additional 2GB-128GB, depending on the SD card purchased.

Circling back to why I would choose the Asus Transformer infinity:

eee.asus.com/eeepad/transformer-infinity/features/

The Asus Transformer series is unique in that it is a bit of a hybrid tablet/laptop (hence the name "Transformer"). On its own, the tablet is a very good Android tablet, but an optional dock can be purchased which the tablet attaches to and "clamshells" like a laptop or netbook. The dock includes a keyboard, trackpad, extra ports (including full-size USB and full-size SD card) and extra battery power. When tested by cnet.com, the Asus Transformer Infinity was able to play HD video on a loop for 8 hours on a full charge on its own, and for 15 hours with the dock.

The Asus Transformer Infinity is the highest-resolution (1920 x 1200), lightest weight (1.29 lbs) Android tablet in the 10.1" form factor. It comes with internal storage of either 32GB ($500) or 64GB ($600) and has a microSD card slot on the tablet where an additional 64GB ($60) can be added. The keyboard/battery dock ($125) has a full-sized SD card slot where an additional 128GB ($150) can be added, though personally, I would think it would be a better idea to get an external HD than the 128GB SD card for the dock.

Re: Which E-reader is best for comic books??? 5 years 1 month ago #25693

• MARIA2662
  • Fresh Boarder
WoW!!!

Thank you soooo MUCH! :laugh:

Asus Transformer it is then B)

Thank you everyone for all the help and advice, I think the Asus will be exactly what I need whilst I'm away :laugh:

Cheers guys,

Maria

Re: Which E-reader is best for comic books??? 5 years 1 month ago #25783

• Trask
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Good choice!

I've got a TF101 as well, and would have babies with it if my wife would let me. I do get a bit of Transformer Envy when people rock out their newer flashier models oozing sexy, but I can't justify upgrading yet, my transformer is still so impressive. And people are still blown away by the fact it's a tablet and not a netbook.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.357 seconds

Who's Online

We have 209 guests and one member online